Primitive home training with spirit!

Today I did 1:15 hours of marching with a 20 kg rucksack.

Although it was over-all easy I certainly felt yesterday's workout made tougher than it would have felt if I would have been fresh
ghostface.gif
I will progress with the marching every week, adding 10-15 mins. In little more than 30 weeks I will be in the military which in my case will mean LOTS OF marching with HEAVY weight. Now, there will of course be some progression with this marching while I'm in, i.e. I am not expected to be able to march for hours with 90 lbs when I arrive, but it's certainly better to be safe than sorry when it comes to risk of overload injuries...

Today's workout was easy. I increased the top set of the deadlift with 10 kg to 108 kg and it still felt like a breeze
wink.gif
(I have never maxed in this lift so I'll just continue to increase it with 10 kg or so every week until it gets really heavy).

Squat 4x5
38, 53, 63, 63 (kg)

Military press 4x5
28, 38, 43, 50.5

Deadlift 4x5
68, 78, 88, 108

Cleans 4x5 (technique)
38 kg all sets

Sit-ups
3x30

I am continuing to do flexibility exercises for my hip which I believe is the reason why I have problems maintaining the arch in my lower back in the bottom position of the squat. This technical issue with the rounding back is very minor though, but... better to be safe than sorry
biggrin.gif

Ugh, military marching! Reminds me of "skoskav" hehe.
Nice that you now have sufficient weight to test your strength!
Deads and especially squats, when increased, increases the size of your legs very quickly in my experience. Prepare to buy new jeans!
Oh, and one more thing. Since you want to prioritize lower body but are hesitant to add some extra isolation work for legs since it might be too much. I believe you are right, I think more leg work than what the 5x5 normally has will not do anything other than lengthen your recovery. As long as your technique improves and weights continue go up in squat and deadlift, the legs will grow eventually.

<div>
(Sniggel @ Jun. 17 2008,5:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Ugh, military marching! Reminds me of &quot;skoskav&quot; hehe.
Nice that you now have sufficient weight to test your strength!
Deads and especially squats, when increased, increases the size of your legs very quickly in my experience. Prepare to buy new jeans!
Oh, and one more thing. Since you want to prioritize lower body but are hesitant to add some extra isolation work for legs since it might be too much. I believe you are right, I think more leg work than what the 5x5 normally has will not do anything other than lengthen your recovery. As long as your technique improves and weights continue go up in squat and deadlift, the legs will grow eventually.</div>
Skoskav!
biggrin.gif
Have you been in the military Sniggel?

Yeah, I can almost feel the legs grow! Thing is I haven't trained my legs strength in such a strictly progressive manner ever before (it has mostly been sort of random loading which have given me a foundation). This will will mean massive growth
blush.gif
over the forthcoming months. Regarding the prioritization the original purpose was to try to make the lower body 'grow faster' than the upper. I realize now that with the 5x5 it is useless to attempt any such modifications since the body will eventually adopt the proportions suggested by the composition of the program itself, simple eh
cool.gif

Cardiovascular activity today: 35 mins of running. The tempo was a little tougher than usual which felt juuuust fiiiiiiine!

Yes I was in the military. I became a &quot;field chef&quot;, lol not what I wanted. I regret doing it. A waste of one year of my life
tounge.gif

&quot;since the body will eventually adopt the proportions suggested by the composition of the program itself&quot;

Yes I believe this is so. If you go from squatting 100 kg to 150 kg, your legs will look bigger (and probably the rest of your body too).

<div>
(Sniggel @ Jun. 18 2008,5:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yes I was in the military. I became a &quot;field chef&quot;, lol not what I wanted. I regret doing it. A waste of one year of my life
tounge.gif

&quot;since the body will eventually adopt the proportions suggested by the composition of the program itself&quot;

Yes I believe this is so. If you go from squatting 100 kg to 150 kg, your legs will look bigger (and probably the rest of your body too).</div>
Even if increased strength, as in being able to squat more weight, does not necessarily mean bigger (if nutrition is inadequate), I believe there is far easier to get bigger when training (or being able to train due to increased strength) with higher loads. Supposing for example you've been training with squat loads under 100 kg for 2 years, how the heck would you be able to increase size of your legs then? More volume maybe, but it always gets to a point where you reach your limit of how much volume your body can withstand, and that is probably also the limit of growth within a given weight limit (0-100 kg in this case).

This past night I really felt like RAMBO
mad.gif
00:00 I went out with my 20 kg rucksack and walked for 1:30 hrs. There was no point in marching this late an hour but I came home late and had to get it done to keep up with my planning. The marching I do isn't that tough at all really; the purpose is merely to get used to some load bearing. It is comparable to a long walk in the park, but with a slightly heavier poundage on the knees and back – nothing that can really compromise any strength training, at least not if done weekly. That is the finesse with it: since it's so light (comparable to a longer walk) it does not impair strength gains, but it does get the body familiar to walking with load.

Last Thursday I received the copy of 'Starting Strength' I had ordered. I have read the pages on the squat, bench, power clean and programming and yikes there are a lot of aspects I had never thought about earlier. Here is a list of stuff on the squat I learned:

*Hip drive: focus on driving the hip upwards rather than straightening out the legs;
*Hands should be vertical to unload wrists;
*Knee should be just slightly in front of toe;

And then there is also this about the upper versus lower bar positioning on the back. Rippetoe obviously recommends lower bar positioning for the purpose of building strength solely, but... my hips are still not flexible enough to for the upper body to adopt a 45° angle without rounding my lower back, as is required by the lower bar position. Thus the higher bar position suits me better for the time being since I won't have to lean forward as much. Even with the high bar position, my lower back rounds a little at the bottom. However I have realized that is not too serious a problem at this moment. I am doing the squat stretch for the hips so in a matter of days or weeks the problem will be solved.

Due to unforeseen circumstances I have not been able to train according to my program for nearly two weeks. This is bad but on the bright side I will not need to think about either SD or any other deload of for quite some time now. I will probably get access to my training equipment tomorrow in which case I'll just repeat the last friday workout I did. I do not think it is too critical in my case as I am still working with such low weights relative my size (i.e. I have acquired most of my muscle mass through different methods so I should be able to lift heavier judging by the way I look if ya understand
biggrin.gif
, you could also say it is because of inexperience or age...). That way it is less of a catastrophe for me to have taken this brake.

Squat 5x5
38, 53, 63, 78, 98

Ab-rollout 3x5
3x5

Barbell Row 5x5
33, 38, 43, 48, 55.5

Bench Press 5x5
33, 43, 53, 53, 73

Power Clean 5x5
18, 18, 18, 28, 28

2x10 Heavy Calf Raises
2x50 Light Calf Raises
2x10 good-mornings, 38 kg
3x10 hanging leg raises

Yikes tough workout! Had to ask my brother for assistance on the heaviest bench presses and squats. Obviously my body was detrained after two weeks of a break....

However I now reach full squat depth without any flaw thanks to thorough squat stretching over this time
blush.gif

Back