problem with my MaxStim, 1st cycle

<div>
(nipponbiki @ Apr. 12 2008,02:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hey Quad,

I actually hold my valsalva maneuver (breath) for the whole set, unless it is over 10 reps. Not to argue the point about deads though, of course it should be unloaded between reps. Just thought I would throw that in though. I am sure there are others like me who do it this way.</div>
i think id end up dizzy holding my breath that long.

as far as bobs question goes ,i think its just a case of conditioning, to both high reps and perhaps max stim. i garantee that once youve gone through a couple of cycles your reps and max's will flow more evenly.

Sorry Lcars. I didn't understand what you said.

Let me restate the question.

When the weight feels very light. Why not do 4 sets of 5 reps? What is the disadvantage?

Well, I just figured it would be best to train the valsalva maneuver along with everything else. I read somewhere that it might be better (enable more weight to be lifted) to develop the ability if you can.

Doing yoga, correctly, really helps with this. Key word is correctly. It is not just a bunch of stretching as I previously thought.

<div>
(bobpit @ Apr. 12 2008,14:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Sorry Lcars. I didn't understand what you said.

Let me restate the question.

When the weight feels very light. Why not do 4 sets of 5 reps? What is the disadvantage?</div>
as opposed to doing 20 reps max stim? the thing is you would just be continuing the 5's.

although i dont think it will make a huge difference,
i just think max stim along with other programs is just a different way of doing the same thing.

however the differences between the programs is what forces us to adapt, and that as you know is the important part.through adaptation comes growth(usually) so in a sense your body is struggling to adapt to the new(ms)program which is a good thing.

a seasoned bodybuilder like yourself needs diversity in order to grow, and im not talking about shock routines.one must work harder than a newbie and get creative in order to keep those gains comin.

so id stick with max stim for now and then move onto another program.

Sorry guys. I thought I made a very clear question and I am trying to get a clear answer.

Let me re-re-state it.

Case 1: I do strict MaxStim, from the first wo to the end.
Case 2: In the initial workouts, like 75%-90% of 10RM I can speed up my wo by doing sets of 10s or 8s or 5s.

Now, when I go to the heavy stuff, like 105%-110% of my 6RM. Wen I really need to take my time and do single reps. When will I be best conditioned, stronger, bigger mass?

A) Case 1
B) Case 2
C) Same thing, doesn't matter, as long as you do the 20 reps without inducing much fatigue.
D) I don't know

In essence it's not going to matter. What MS is.........most importantly.........is a way to maintain the same or greater workload. So if you want to cluster (in series of whatever you wish) until the loads are so heavy that singles are the only available option then go for it. And only using MS in the heavier loads.

My question is...........why are you only able to acheive 18 reps with less than your 10RM, that is interesting too me.

<div>
(Dan Moore @ Apr. 13 2008,14:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">My question is...........why are you only able to acheive 18 reps with less than your 10RM, that is interesting too me.</div>
It is crazy.

During the last cycle of HST, I had done 15x123 kgr DL in 75 seconds. I did 10x133 kgr. Now with maxstim I strugled to do total 18 reps with 128 kgrs. Took me 20 minutes!!! Terible!

DL and SQ seem difficult. But the other exercises seem a breeze, this is what puzzles me.

Some factors to consider:
1) I started this, my first MS cycle straight from 90% of my 10RM. I thought it would be easy.
2) During HST, when I set those PRs, I drunk green tea before the wo. I know it helps me, since my system is very clean. I sparingly drink alcohol (mostly beer or wine) and I never drink coffee.
3) For the last 1,5 months I am having some trouble with my health. It seems I get sore throat and cough easily. But it is getting better. I am sure this is because of some emotional problems I had (girl problems).

<div>
(bobpit @ Apr. 13 2008,16:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Dan Moore @ Apr. 13 2008,14:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">My question is...........why are you only able to acheive 18 reps with less than your 10RM, that is interesting too me.</div>
It is crazy.

During the last cycle of HST, I had done 15x123 kgr DL in 75 seconds.  I did 10x133 kgr.  Now with maxstim I strugled to do total 18 reps with 128 kgrs.  Took me 20 minutes!!!  Terible!

DL and SQ seem difficult.  But the other exercises seem a breeze, this is what puzzles me.</div>
Are you sucking air like crazy or are you actually failing to make a lift. What I'm trying to get at is...........is it muscle failure, anaerobic conditioning, or aerobic conditioning that is the problem. Just curious.

<div>
(bobpit @ Apr. 13 2008,16:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> I am sure this is because of some emotional problems I had (girl problems).</div>
It's always the women!

Women and weights don't mix. Better give them up Bob!

ghostface.gif

<div>
(Dan Moore @ Apr. 14 2008,15:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Are you sucking air like crazy or are you actually failing to make a lift.</div>
During MS, I don't breath so heavily. It is muscular failure.

Ok, I went quickly to phase 2. Which means I started back from lower weights. Now the workouts flow perfectly good. I lift with relative ease the weights that gave me so much trouble 2 weeks ago.

So I think the biggest cause of my problem was that I started this cycle with too heavy weights.

<div>
(Old and Grey @ Apr. 14 2008,7:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(bobpit @ Apr. 13 2008,16:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> I am sure this is because of some emotional problems I had (girl problems).</div>
It's always the women!

Women and weights don't mix. Better give them up Bob!

ghostface.gif
</div>
As Mickey once said &quot;Women weaken legs - Rock&quot;
wink.gif

Back