Protein Factory

Catalonia

I've been getting really cheap protein from them, and i'm eating like 100 grams of whey per day, and about 50-75 grams of ON Casein per day. I'm 180 lbs, and I typically eat at least 180 grams, and beyond depending on how much protein I get from my meals.

I'm actually just wondering about Protein Factory. Is their stuff safe? I'm just getting a stock premium whey usually. I recall the HST crew saying whey protein is whey protein, but i'm wondering now, and wondering about safety, health issues...

anyways, thanks for your time.

Hi Catalonia,

I'm not sure where you are, but - speaking from the UK - I do know that the protein manufacturers here all have to conform to safety standards and are randomly and regularly checked.
I think its something to do with 'EU' guidelines...

(something that is usually there to screw up our daily lives, such as not allowing us to buy bendy bananas, or small grapes...)

anyway...

all the stuff here has a stamp on it with a safety 'kite' mark.
I would imagine most American products would have to conform to something similar too?

I would only buy anything like protein or vitamins, from a reputable supplier - and they would have something about their safety standards, somewhere on their website/shop.
If they didnt, they would be commiting a criminal offence (here in UK, and I would imagine US too?)

Probably doesnt directly answer your question, as I dont have any knowledge of Protein Factory, but hope it helps in some way?

Brix

The FDA doesn't regulate it I don't think. I don't know for sure, but for some reason, I think supplaments and vitamins, we're on our own.

Supplements (including vitamins) are not actively policed by the FDA.  In other words there is no inspection required to produce and sell any supplement (protein, vitamin, mineral, etc.) in the United States.  It is therefore entirely possible for a US supplement company to skimp on the amount of supplement on the container, fail to remove harmful contaminants, or add inert product fillers.

The FDA may, if it is disposed to, launch an investigation of a product or force a product off the shelves if the organization believes it poses a threat to consumer health.  This typically occurs after consumers file complaints with the FDA (an example being Hydroxycut).

Catalonia, it is entirely possible that Protein Factory is skimping on protein, not filtering it, or whatever.  It is also entirely possible that they do an honest business.  Consumerlabs.com is a website that purchases and then tests supplements.  You can purchase yearly access to their database for 29$ per year.  I'd split the account with someone you know.  I have read through several of their reports.  The truth is there are unacceptable levels of heavy metals in some brands some of the time, or the amount in the product is not what is on the label.  This occurs some of the time.  For now most supplement manufacturers do as they claim.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">e FDA doesn't regulate it I don't think.  I don't know for sure, but for some reason, I think supplaments and vitamins, we're on our own.</div>

You're not entirely on your own.  Part of living in a free society is accepting responsibility for that freedom.  Because you know not all supplement companies do right by the consumer the burden of action is on you and me to ensure our own safety.  Consumerlabs is one way to do that.  As someone who works in the supplement business I have seen a lot of crap and a lot good people succeed at improving their health.  Its a mixed bag.  I think the supplement business should be responsible for self-policing - which will add to the price but safety too.  I don't think it should be actively policed by the FDA - that adds to everybody's taxes, including the people who don't use supplements.  It also adds to the FDA's power which is something I am not keen about.

Last but not least:  you eat 100g of whey protein a day?  Wow!  You know, you can get protein from other things...like...food.

Right now I eat 1 lb of beef, 1 lb of turkey, 1 lb of salmon, 1 cup of almonds, and 1 can of herring a day.  Minimum.  There is no magic in whey protein.  It is a magnificent mind job the bodybuilding mags have done with people. It is first-rate evidence that advertising works. &quot;I need some protein powder to bulk up.&quot;  I hear it every day.  At first I tried to save them by explaining the importance of nutrition and that a protein powder can only supplement, but not replace, a successful eating plan.  But few listened.  So now I just give them what they wanted all along.

&quot;A fool and his money are soon parted.&quot; -Thomas Tusser

Food manufacturers have to have specific food safety policies involved in their manufacturing processes. They get checked, but thing slip through. this happens in every single country, every single industry, pretty much all food items.

Billy Graham was touted as having ansered the question &quot;what is the best bible to read?&quot; as &quot;the one you read&quot;.
It seems to some extent the similar effect is boon to proteins; &quot;the one you EAT!&quot;

<div>
(QuantumPositron @ Sep. 28 2009,12:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Supplements (including vitamins) are not actively policed by the FDA.  In other words there is no inspection required to produce and sell any supplement (protein, vitamin, mineral, etc.) in the United States.  It is therefore entirely possible for a US supplement company to skimp on the amount of supplement on the container, fail to remove harmful contaminants, or add inert product fillers.

The FDA may, if it is disposed to, launch an investigation of a product or force a product off the shelves if the organization believes it poses a threat to consumer health.  This typically occurs after consumers file complaints with the FDA (an example being Hydroxycut).

Catalonia, it is entirely possible that Protein Factory is skimping on protein, not filtering it, or whatever.  It is also entirely possible that they do an honest business.  Consumerlabs.com is a website that purchases and then tests supplements.  You can purchase yearly access to their database for 29$ per year.  I'd split the account with someone you know.  I have read through several of their reports.  The truth is there are unacceptable levels of heavy metals in some brands some of the time, or the amount in the product is not what is on the label.  This occurs some of the time.  For now most supplement manufacturers do as they claim.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">e FDA doesn't regulate it I don't think.  I don't know for sure, but for some reason, I think supplaments and vitamins, we're on our own.</div>

You're not entirely on your own.  Part of living in a free society is accepting responsibility for that freedom.  Because you know not all supplement companies do right by the consumer the burden of action is on you and me to ensure our own safety.  Consumerlabs is one way to do that.  As someone who works in the supplement business I have seen a lot of crap and a lot good people succeed at improving their health.  Its a mixed bag.  I think the supplement business should be responsible for self-policing - which will add to the price but safety too.  I don't think it should be actively policed by the FDA - that adds to everybody's taxes, including the people who don't use supplements.  It also adds to the FDA's power which is something I am not keen about.

Last but not least:  you eat 100g of whey protein a day?  Wow!  You know, you can get protein from other things...like...food.

Right now I eat 1 lb of beef, 1 lb of turkey, 1 lb of salmon, 1 cup of almonds, and 1 can of herring a day.  Minimum.  There is no magic in whey protein.  It is a magnificent mind job the bodybuilding mags have done with people. It is first-rate evidence that advertising works. &quot;I need some protein powder to bulk up.&quot;  I hear it every day.  At first I tried to save them by explaining the importance of nutrition and that a protein powder can only supplement, but not replace, a successful eating plan.  But few listened.  So now I just give them what they wanted all along.

&quot;A fool and his money are soon parted.&quot; -Thomas Tusser</div>
Thanks, that's the best I can aim for I guess at this point.

<div>
(quadancer @ Sep. 28 2009,9:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Billy Graham was touted as having ansered the question &quot;what is the best bible to read?&quot; as &quot;the one you read&quot;.
It seems to some extent the similar effect is boon to proteins; &quot;the one you EAT!&quot;</div>
So are you saying that me and my 100grams of whey is still just protein? Another 100 is coming from food...but really, I do what I can.

<div>
(QuantumPositron @ Sep. 28 2009,12:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Supplements (including vitamins) are not actively policed by the FDA.  In other words there is no inspection required to produce and sell any supplement (protein, vitamin, mineral, etc.) in the United States.  It is therefore entirely possible for a US supplement company to skimp on the amount of supplement on the container, fail to remove harmful contaminants, or add inert product fillers.

&quot;A fool and his money are soon parted.&quot; -Thomas Tusser</div>
So you eat 5 lbs of meat per day? See...that is NOT going to happen for me. I just don't have that kind of appetite.

Its really more like 3 lbs and some change. And its not all about the protein, its also about the calories. Using large amounts of whey isn't necessarily bad. Merely, I am on a crusade to break its halo. If you want reassurance on a brand of protein then get a consumerlabs.com account. Be forewarned that just because one batch tests OK doesn't mean the next one will. If you would like an even more affordable powder source then purchase bulk whey concentrate from a baking goods supplier. The last time I checked 5lbs went for 25$. A bit of history: decades ago whey was given out for free. It wasn't used for much then and manufacturers were happy to give it away instead of paying for its removal.

A really sad thing is that since ethanol drove up the price of almost anything edible, meat has become and even more expensive commodity/necessity. Whey proteins now step up to the plate with more bang for the buck than before. Not to mention that you can drink what you can't stand to eat when full. Our food bill here is outrageous, and my wife is on a diet!
Wasn't it on this very website about 5 yrs ago that we had a consumer report on the actual amounts of ingredients in various supplements? I recall that TwinLabs was one of the best, their products actually containing what the label said.

From what I understand corn is subsidized driving its artifically low. This causes it to be used widely in food production. If ethanol diverts some of the existing corn supply away from food production then prices will reflect that like you pointed out Quad. If subsidies are eliminated entirely prices will come up even more. The good news is that such a state would not be permanent as new food production methods and materials would be developed. Corn subsidy money would, congress willing, go back into the pockets of taxpayers along with the tax money we used to administer subsidies. This would offset the cost of rising food prices entirely.

Quad brings up an interesting economic point: that whey is more cost-effective than beef. I can only suppose that somehow keeping a cow for milking is less resource intensive than using a cow for food.

Yet I would not replace meat with whey. Not ever; you'd probably have deficiencies in some manner.
I like the way Brazil did it. They make their ethanol from...I think it was sugar cane waste? Our corn gets a demand, the price goes up and most feed is corn or has corn in it...now your milk, meats, and God knows what all else rises.
But for some odd reason I can't decipher, the milk went down and meat went back down a bit. But we're still using corn for ethanol? Maybe I missed something.
I'll say one thing: it's good to be chugging MILK again! It was getting as expensive as BOOZE for a while there!

Last time I had to make a long car journey, I found that fresh milk was quite a lot cheaper than bottled water. Bottled water IS as expensive as booze around these parts! Crazy, especially seeing we have some of the nicest milk I've had anywhere.

As far as protein goes, I got the whey, and i'm using it. It tastes fine, but mainly I just use it to get enough protein for the day. I know that grams of protein is grams, or at least that's what I recall reading from around these forums a few years back. So any way I get to my 180 is the route I take. But eating 100 grams in workout shake makes the rest of the day's eating MUCH easier on me and my wallet.

From an academic standpoint, it is indeed the case that corn is so heavily subsidized that it has created unbelievable and opaque price distortion in many areas of the economy...meat costs is one. There was one economist over a decade ago that estimated the cost of a big mac when they peel away all of the subsidies, to be over $10. But nobody would even recognize this section of the food economy were this to occur. That what it means to be an entrenched interest. It's hard to drive somebody out of the trench.

As for the costs falling in the past year, much of the costs on food like meat and milk were stemming not from the subsidy regime--but from energy costs. As oil fell from it's $140 per barrel bubble to below $70, the costs of fuel intensive products fell with it.

I see you have an eye for the economic Catalonia. Have you been following the Federal Reserve's continuous addition to commercial bank reserves? If so, what do you think about that?

Back