protein problem

shakeel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i drink 1 scoop of whey protein in water and usually at night i get diarhoae and gas problems.also abdominal pain.how can i minimise these?
when i dont take the pro am free from these symptoms.i use whey fron optimum nutrition

Since i am new to bodybuilding (like 3 months) i have noticed i pass wind a lot more i wouldn't mind but its kinda embaressing smell :confused:
blush.gif
is this a problem with my body not digesting protein shakes??? I use the market leader whey shakes so i am convinced i am not the only one out there who suffers from this problem.

Any1 got any ideas why this is happening?

I get gas from whey and soy protein powders. Try using a pure egg white or rice protein powder. This solved my gaseous problem.

I solved the problem simply by splitting my shake in two,half before and half after w/o.Also I noticed that if I have proteins alone I have more problems but if I add carbs and/or fats to the mix it helps a lot.
Doing both that (splitting +adding carbs/fats) I totally solved gas and bad digestion problems of shakes.

you can try...

boggy
what do you add specifically?for carbs fruit?flaxseed?
before wo 30 mins before can i add icecream fruits ?

in a pre w/o shake I wouldnt add ice cream at all, if I have a pre w/o shake a 30 min before I simply add maltodextrins, only caring that they are in equal or greater quantity than protein (i.e if I have 20g of pro I add at least 20g of cho).
In post w/o if you are bulking basically you can add wathever you want, anyway I wouldn't add a lot of fats;again personally I simply add dextrose in post w/o but this is why I have a solid meal just 30-40 min after so I dont want to get full with the shake.

The best tasting and most "filled" shake I have is a classic:
300ml skim milk
30g milk protein
1 med banana
20g natural PB
2 teaspoon sugar free cocoa powder
40g oat flakes
Blend everything and enjoy.
Anyway I only have this on off days and also, even if here protein are high I found I can handle it maybe because there are milk protein instead of pure whey and also a lot of carbo and fats.

boggy
so delaying the rapid absorption of whey prevents gas problem?
why do you think whey cause this problem?
i plan to use skim milk +whey powder+pb+cocoa powder about 1 hour before wo?
do you think it s a good idea?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]so delaying the rapid absorption of whey prevents gas problem?

I absolutely dont have any scientific knowledge about it but judging from experience I would say that what causes more gas problems is the amount of protein that u eat at one sitting (If your gut is used to handle a certain amount of protein with a single meal then if u put quite a lot more protein than that in your shake it can cause problems),moreover as I told you I noticed that the total amount of protein that I can handle is higher if I add other calorie sources.
About whey fast absorption I dont know I just made a guess.
I dont know if your choice for pre w/o can be optimal, I would move it in post w/o while in pre w/o I would put only whey+maltodex (if u dont have maltodex dextrose or sugar will be the same).

I think gastro problems after a whey protein drink could be caused by lactose intolerance (ie lack of the digestive enzyme lactase). You could try taking a digestive enzyme tablet, either the full spectrum or just lactase alone. I'm just guessing, but perhaps the problem is worse at the end of day because your body has used up its supply of lactase during the day.
Shaz

yesterday i drink a mixture of whey skim milk ice cream pb
and i drink half mixture before and another after wo.
at night i get abdominal pain.and each time i dink whey i get it.
i can drink milk without problem.is it the quality of whey?what digestive enzymes u advise?

If you can drink milk, then I guess you don't have a problem with lactose. If you decide to try digestive enzymes anyway, just go to a health food shop. In the UK, Holland and Barrett sell Quest enzymes, which help digest proteins, fats etc.

Generally, you can help your digestive system by sitting quietly for half an hour after eating or taking a protein drink. I suffer with IBS, and this really helps me.

whaT ABOUT if the whey is not lactose free?
have u mix oatmeal with whey powder and does this help to alleviate the problem?

If you can tolerate milk okay, then I can't see why the whey would be a problem. I don't know why oatmeal would make any difference. Personally, I can't tolerate oatmeal (again due to the IBS).

I'm a fellow IBS sufferer and just can't tolerate protein supplements,Amino's,Creatine or any other powdered supplements.Unfortunately I don't have any solutions and I've been at this sixteen years and have tried combining with all sorts of foods without success, again I can drink milk with no probs and just make the best of a less than perfect situation.If anyone can help with this I would certainly appreciate it.
dozingoff.gif

yes if someone has a solution.
am trying probiotics and for the first time no gas or gi stress.
i dont know if that will continue

yes if someone has a solution.
am trying probiotics and for the first time no gas or gi stress.
i dont know if that will continue

Back