Pushing the Boundaries of Frequency

Add carbs, grow more. You'll severely limit your gains on the current diet. Great job though, on your recovery and training frequency. Re:sets, it's up to you. Some guys like to keep volume high even during the 5s. 5 sets of 5 is high volume IMO, but perfectly fine if you are only doing a few exercises. If you are doing a shit-ton of different lifts, the 1-3 sets per exercise is plenty.

+1 to what he said.

I do 5 sets of 5s and don't really feel any more exhaustion or fatigue from 3x5. Of course I only do them over a 2-3 week period maximum before a 9-10 day SD.

Up to 147lbs consistent now, mates...Going to keep calories right around where they are at and perhaps include 1 untracked, "cheat" day once every 10 or so days; I'll just eat what I want, when I want on that day with no real focus on hitting a macronutrient nor calorie goal.

I missed the fact that you are only 147. In that case, your calories are just fine. So my advice to increase carbs was wrong. I sometimes forget that not everyone is over 6' 200lbs like myself.

Anyway, you seem to really know diet and training, and you have a great physique, so just keep on doing works. As long as you are gaining, then you are eating enough.

I would like to weigh in and share that the higher frequency method works for me. I have been doing it for 2 or so cycles now and my measurements have increased and the changes are visible. My arms are up to about 17-3/4", my waist is down an inch to 39", my chest is holding steady at around 50". I currently weigh around 220lbs and at a guess, I think I am at about 15%-16% body fat. I am now focusing on leaning out a bit now as I think I am nearing where I want to be size wise. Prior to upping the frequency, I think I was stuck at a plateau. I believe the higher frequency works as outlined in that research paper, BUT as the others have said, you need to watch the volume per workout or it can end up smashing you.

Just my opinion...

Last edited:
Back