Question about Diet When I start HST

KURT

I'm in the processs of figuring out my Max reps this week and then I'll start my 2 week SD....

I am about 29-30% BF, I will begin to shed fat quickly as my activity level increases, Although it may not appear I eat fairly healthy just fat gain due to inactivity.

My question is I planned on reducing my caloric intake by 300-500 from my maintenance caloric intake during the first cycle, but as I read the FAQ's and some of the board I'm rethinking my plan to eat to maintain and the increase in muscle will shed the fat, or will I need ot eat more?

I expect to see some growth of muscle as I have been somewhat inactive, and I could see some body fat reduction, so should I just eat maintenance and workout reduce calories or eat to grow?

My Ultimate Goal is reduce Body fat in Half and Gain 10 Lbs Muscle Mass...

Not to repeat questions but any input would be helpful thanks in advance

I would cut calories... at least 500 per day. Do HST, do cardio on your off days. Cut the 500 deficit from probably carbs, assuming you have dietary fat at reasonable levels, and keep your protein high. At around 30% bodyfat, I wouldn't worry about gaining lean mass yet. You might gain some while losing fat, but who cares at this point. You need to get to at least 15%, preferrably closer to 10-12% so that your partitioning etc doesn't suck hard, then worry about bulking to gain muscle.

Also, since you are just aiming to lose fat primarily, I wouldn't bother taking a whole two week SD. One week off should be enough. I probably wouldn't take an SD at all. I don't SD when cutting unless I am injured or burned out. In my opinion, SD is only necessary periodically and only when trying to build mass or strength, or when suffering from injury/burnout/overtraining.

Good luck.

Tot's advice is right on target... Get your diet in check and cut the calories. If that's your true bodyfat%, then you can afford to cut more calories - up to 1000/day. However, do make sure your maintenance level includes BMR, walking, sports, lifting, and running. Check out my caloric intake thread (link in my sig.)

personaly i find that working out my cals of calculations doesnt work,probably because your weight,activity levels/intensity,other factores can change every day.
i prefer to keep a log of my weight and diet for a couple of wks before a cut,if i dont lose or gain any weight i use that as my maintanance and add or subtract cals from that.

Back