Question about HST article vs stuff I see on forum

ZeroAkarui

Ok, I read the HST article on the main page, and it's a little different from what I see everyone doing on the forum. Basically, this is my program now, which is basically exactly what it is in the article.
Squat (2 sets)
Leg Curls (1 set)
Slight Incline Bench press (2 sets)
Dips (1 set)
Chins/Reverse Grip Bent Over Row (for beginning of 10s) (2 sets)
Bent Over Row (1 set)
Shoulder Press (2 sets)
Shrugs (1 set)
Biceps Curl (1 set)
Lying Triceps Extension (1 set)
Straight Leg Calf Raise (1 set)
Weighted Sit-Up (1 set)
Now what I see a lot of people say they're doing is taking out chins/bent row (only doing either or). Same for bench/dips. I also see people saying to do 1 set 15s, 2 sets in 10s, and 3 sets in 5s/negs (this for compounds, everyone seems to agree of 1-2 sets isos). But in the article it says 2 sets for compounds and 1 set isolations. Last thing I see is that some people say to only do compounds in 10s and save isos for 5s and negs.
Now I've done cycles of HST before, but I never really noticed this difference. I'm and ectomorph, or atleast I don't put on size easy, but I'm going to follow the scrawny to brawny diet, so I have that done. Basically, I'd like some comment on the things I've said, and which I should follow. I have a movie coming up (indie movie, but still a big deal to me) so I don't really have time to experiment if some one already knows the answers. BTW, it's a martial arts movie, so it's not just because I want to be a big a actor, I want to be bigger for the fight scenes.
Thanks.

The routine in the article is merely a sort of cookie cutter routine meant to work well for the majority of people who want to try HST. You can do variations, that is perfectly alright. You can adjust volume - and in fact should - to what you can personally handle.

The only reason I think people would suggest saving the isolations for the 5s or later is because with most isolations, your RM will tend to be much lower than with compounds, which makes incrementing more difficult. If you wait until the 10s or 5s to add them in, it is easier to layout the increments. I don't think you need to wait until the 5s to add in isolations. Start them during the 10s if you want. You can still do them during the 15s if you really want to.

Ok, that answered my question about isolations, I'll add them in the 10s.
But you touched on tweaking the program, and you said I should, so I guess I should drop the dips and bent over row and just stick with bench press and chin ups only, or no? Personally, I'd guess that all those exercises may border on over training, which I really don't want to do, especially since it takes a while to put on weight.
And I'm goign to go with the 15 - 1 set, 10 - 2 sets (1 iso), 5 - 3 sets (1-2 iso) set up, unless someone thinks thats bad.
Thanks Totentanz, and anyone else who may post after I write this.

Lats, since they are Bipennate muscles it would be better to keep doing what you are doing. Chins and Rows

Pecs I don't think it matters, if you angle on the bench is slightly elevated.

Personally, I would definitely do both of the chins and the bentovers.  I think it is beneficial to do both.  Both exercises together will add mass to your entire upperbody from forearms,biceps,traps,rear delts,and most of all your lats.  I think I would try out the routine in its entirety if this is your first cylce.  That what I did, except I eliminated the leg curls and tricep extensions and I am very happy with my results.  
 As far as sets are concerned I personally recommend to do 2 exercises for every rep block, until you start to feel fatigue then reduce it to 1 set for a couple of workouts then go back to 2 sets when you feel you can handle it again.  I wouldn't worry about overtraining, remember in HST your sets SHOULD NOT be performed to max effort or failure every workout.  With the exception of maybe the last workout of each rep block.(every 2 weeks)  I also noticed by zigzagging my weights helped me to manage my fatigue levels and gain a lot of strength.
Note:  I would check out the FAQ Blade posted on "how many sets", and also I would check out the FAQ on "undulating loads vrs. zigzagging."
thehamma

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ZeroAkarui @ Sep. 15 2005,10:55)]Ok, that answered my question about isolations, I'll add them in the 10s.
But you touched on tweaking the program, and you said I should, so I guess I should drop the dips and bent over row and just stick with bench press and chin ups only, or no? Personally, I'd guess that all those exercises may border on over training, which I really don't want to do, especially since it takes a while to put on weight.
And I'm goign to go with the 15 - 1 set, 10 - 2 sets (1 iso), 5 - 3 sets (1-2 iso) set up, unless someone thinks thats bad.
Thanks Totentanz, and anyone else who may post after I write this.
I would definitely keep both bentover rows and chins. Personally, I plan on never doing an HST cycle that does not include both. Dips and bench, I usually do both but if you have to pick one, I prefer dips. It depends on how well you can do with dips though. If you have difficulty with them, perhaps bench would be a better choice.

I don't know your level of conditioning, but if you feel that this routine is a little too much, I wouldn't throw out major exercises like dips, rows or bench. Instead, I would probably skip the leg curls, triceps and situps. But try it the way it is first, if you are just totally overwhelmed by it, then you can try trimming it down. I bet you will be able to handle it though.

Thanks. I've decided I'll try to keep both rows and dips.
My conditioning isn't what is making me question it, it's the fact that it's hard for me to put on weight, without eating a ton (which I'm going to try doing this cycle. My first HST cycle ever, if I remmeber right, I got +.5 in on each arm, and I was just eating whatever, which is very little).
I do kung fu, so I can do chins and dips easy. I'm also going to go to kung fu while I do this, I'll just tone it down. Normally we do stuff until we literally can't do anymore. But I'll just do enough to keep myself at my level I'm at now so once I come back to it, I wont suck. Hopefully that wont interfer with my HST results.
Thanks to all who posted and answered my questions.

Oh, final question. I'm making sure I do chins perfectly, so I put my body weight as my 10 rep max. The reverse grip bent over row (with hands facing in front instead of behind) is good to do in the beginning right? Thanks

Back