Question bout HST on Beginners

I'm like you Tiny, I hate calculating food and don't have a lot of time for it all, but I'm in tune with what is maintenance for me. So to cut, I stay hungry but eat consistently and to bulk, I eat consistently but never be hungry. It works so far. The hard part is to get myself off of maintenance cals, since at my age we lose muscle and gain fat easily. You should have no problem. I think you're off to a good start.
You'll just have to be patient; gains will come. Eat like you're feeding a 160 lb. man. Then 170. Then 180. Then....

<div>
(vagrant @ Nov. 16 2006,22:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Lots of words....</div>
Woow, great post Vagrant, couldnt have said it better!  
biggrin.gif

And as Quad pointed out. If you want to become bigger, you have to eat as though you were bigger than you are now.

Vagrant what are some foods that you would reccomend? I tried using that website and I keep ending up with around 39% fat, 44% carbs, 17% protein for 3500 calories

As bulldog said, for the workout:

Squat
Dead Lift (with shrug)
Flat Bench
Barbell rows
Military press

Im gonna try and add Chinups to it as well but I can only do a little have to practice on it so it gets higher.

How many reps and sets should I do and what percent of my max should i do for them?

Im gonna try this workout and ill take the advice that Lol gave about doing the dead lifts at the end as well.

Only thing I need to know is how much of each thing I should do.

Thanks a lot for the advice so far everyone !!

<div>
(Tinyy @ Nov. 16 2006,18:51)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Vagrant what are some foods that you would reccomend? I tried using that website and I keep ending up with around 39% fat, 44% carbs, 17% protein for 3500 calories</div>
Well being young and on a budget you'll want to save where you can on food costs. I try to save too because I require almost 5K a day to keep from losing weight and have a wife, 2 kids, 2 dogs, a fish, and 11 cats to feed.

Protein powders are pretty inexpensive considering what you get out of them. A couple of cents for 20g of protein is a good deal.

Milk is a great bulking food - skim milk is best so you don't load up with too much fat which will be too satisfying then you won't be able to eat enough.

Mixing 2 cups of milk, 1 medium banana, and 2 scoops of most brands of whey will give you about 57g protein and 57g carbs. This is an excellent pre and post workout meal for not too much money.

I also eat a lot of chicken breasts, but often I'll buy the bulk packs of thighs and remove the skin. Each thigh is 20g protein and not too much fat if you remove the skin and wash it.

Another pretty cheap thing is beans and corn. I buy cans of baked beans and cans of corn - cheap, high calorie, good nutrient profile...a bit much salt but the salt isn't really a problem for me.

Here's a sample of my day and I can adjust the calories way up by adjusting the volume of beans and corn.

Meal 1-3 milk/whey/banana shake.
meal 4-5 chicken, beans, corn
Meal 6, beef, baked potato.

I also have a hard time eating enough. And it has always been that way for me. One thing that will help you though is to work your way up to eating more each week in a slow controlled manner. Don't all of a sudden try and eat twice as much as you have been because it won't work. Every week add 500 cal. to your daily diet until you are eating enough to gain weight without adding too much body fat. Be patient and everything will work out in the end.

As for adding the pull-ups, that's fine. But I would alternate them every other workout with the barbell rows as Lol recommended. And if you can't get 15 or 10 reps then either wait until the 5's or post fives to do them or you can put a bench or chair under your pull-up bar and use your legs to assist if necessary. Just make sure you use your legs enough that you aren't working your arms and back to failure to get your reps in.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Wow...so far by following that workout, Ive felt great improvement and can see it a little. I have gained 5 lbs already and im amazed. Vagrant, that protein shake is amazing lol works wonders. Only problem is that I can only drink 1 cup of it with 1 scoop of the powder preworkout. I cant do 2 cups and 2 scoops, the taste is just so horrible and fills you up quickly lol. I cant take it post workout either, that shake just fills me up too fast, for me to take 2 within the workout time. So right now im just drinkig it before workout and hopefully, over time, ill be able to drink it pre and post.
biggrin.gif
amazing results so far, looking to reach atleast 180 lbs within a 8 month time period.
biggrin.gif

If that shake fills you up too quickly you might want to try whey, dextrose &amp; water for your preworkout shake. I think you will find it won't fill you up so much. Then drink one with whey, banana &amp; milk for post workout.

Also, be sure you add your shake calories to your daily total. If you have actually put on 5 pounds in 4 days that is to much weight to fast. Although it may just be a change due to water weight. Ideally you want to add 1 pound per week, 2 pounds per week at most.

Gald you're liking the workout. Stick with it and you will make some good progress.

Bulldog is right. You've probably picked up some water - but that's good. Muscle cells that are full of water are going to be stronger leading to lifting more which gives you more size.

However, if in a couple of weeks you are still gaining that fast - cut back on the cals a bit.

For the shakes, just take what you can. It took me a long time to learn to get my calories up to where they needed to be.

I had to eat a tiny bit every hour on the hour for a while, forcing it down, to get so that I could eventually eat enough food at 2-3 hour intervals to reach my caloric needs.

Time, patience, persistance, and you will get where you want to be.

<div>
(Bulldog @ Nov. 22 2006,17:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If that shake fills you up too quickly you might want to try whey, dextrose &amp; water for your preworkout shake.  I think you will find it won't fill you up so much.  Then drink one with whey, banana &amp; milk for post workout.  

Also, be sure you add your shake calories to your daily total.  If you have actually put on 5 pounds in 4 days that is to much weight to fast.  Although it may just be a change due to water weight.  Ideally you want to add 1 pound per week, 2 pounds per week at most.

Gald you're liking the workout.  Stick with it and you will make some good progress.</div>
Hey Bulldog....is 1 to 2 pounds per week good even when bulking?

Personally I shoot for 1 pound per week. That seems to be my magic number to limit adding too much body fat. But everyone is different so you will have to see what works for you. But I think 1 to 2 pounds per week is a good place to start.

<div>
(Tinyy @ Nov. 15 2006,21:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Ive been eating A LOT of healthy foods that have lots of proteins, calories and carbs. drinking lot of milk and water. however, i dont really see much of a difference.</div>
So far, I am still able to grow when I bulk, but it's not at the same rate I did when I ate everything in sight and looked like a beached whale for awhile. I won't do it again, because it's unhealthy and I looked really bad (I had a 44-45 inch waist). The point, however, is that I grew like a weed. I once calculated how many calories I was consuming per day, and I was eating over 12k calories per day much of the time.

If you can't eat like that without counting calories...then, you need to count calories and keep track of what you're eating, otherwise you're eating too little. How much do you want to weigh ? 180 lbs ? Get at least 180 grams of protein and eat as many calories as a 180 lb bber would. Plenty of small guys will gripe and say &quot;no you don't have to do that ...you'll get fat and blah blah blah&quot;...but that's the quickest way to get there...and...you WILL get fat. Just have to put fat loss on the backburner. As long as you don't start eating like a 200 lb bber when you want to weigh 180 lbs, it shouldn't get too bad.

If you are not counting calories and have no idea about the macronutrients in the food you eat, you are basically playing a game of trial and error. I can see justification in eating around 750-2000 calories in surplus of your daily needs but 12k calories.............................there is no benefit from that. I would have to say the cut off at real benefit from overshooting your maintenance is around 500-2000.

I eat when i am hungry or know i need protein.

Steve: Just out of interest, when you reduced your bf back down to sub 10% did you get left with a lot of loose skin around your middle? I only ask because I am sort of throwing caution to the wind at the moment whilst I continue to bulk. My waist has gone up to 35&quot; from around 32&quot; a year ago.

<div>
(Lol @ Nov. 26 2006,23:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Steve: Just out of interest, when you reduced your bf back down to sub 10% did you get left with a lot of loose skin around your middle? I only ask because I am sort of throwing caution to the wind at the moment whilst I continue to bulk. My waist has gone up to 35&quot; from around 32&quot; a year ago.</div>
No loose skin, but I do have a couple of stretch marks between my navel and groin area.

Back