Question for Bryan Re: Knee Pain

cheen

Bryan, towards then end a recent cyle of HST employing back squats I began to experience knee pain. I was using a 6 day routine and working out with squats 6x a week intially and due to discomfort 3x into the 5's an negs. This was very stupid in retrospect but I cannot undo what is done. The knee's make a crunching noise and there is discomfort during the mid range of motion, sometimes they just ache. Bw squats are painful.

From what I understand this is known as patellar femoral syndrome. Should I be curtailing any leg work until the pain is gone and I can stand up from chairs/bw squat painlessly? I've never had knee pain before and 6x a week quads was obviously too much for my knee's. It's been a while now (i have worked legs very minimally but they still hurt) despite PT program, that worked on ITB tightness/VMO (which seemed to do nothing for me).

I don't if you can expect to get advice from Bryan on this.  If I were in his position I wouldn't give advice that should come from your doctor on a face-to-face basis.  Then again, wtf do I know?  He might chime in.
I have knee pain from leg moves that lessens when I don't wear running shoes.  It seems that squatting or leg pressing flat footed wearing wrestling shoes doesn't bother my knees as much, but they still hurt some.  Are you going really deep in the squat?  I get pressure in my knees afterwards if I break much past 90 degrees.
I'm thinking about trying these out:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/tom/knee.html

Cheen,

I am not a doc or PT,but I had a very similar experience.

For me it turned out to be partly 40 y/o knees getting used to more volume and loading during squats but much more so squat exercise form.

Basically it boiled down to not letting my knees travel forward of your toes when you squat. This means more lower back in the exercise if you are not flexible, shoulders come more forward and knees less so(a little less with heavier weights because of different balance). Back arched, butt goes back. Box squats help perfect this form correction.

http://vandypowerlifting.tripod.com/tips1.html

Of course don't start squatting heavy until your knees heal, but if you do above helped me. I went from intense pain to maximal effort squats without pain.

Hope this helps.

Ginorm

Back