Question on intensity

thecoffeeguy

Something I have been thinking about, even more so after my workout yesterday.

My workout yesterday was the 2nd week of 5's, 1st workout.

Just a few questions:

1.) Since the weights are heavier this week, what type of intensity should I feel? On my last 1-2 reps, should I be struggling? Should I feel like I could have done more?

I'm trying to figure out my body so I can stimulate max growth and size (im still learning HST.)

Case in point.

Yesterday, I started off with squats. I did two sets.
After the end of my 1st set, I felt good, could have done more. After my second set, I felt good, but could have done maybe 3-5 more reps.

On Bench: I did 3 sets. Same as above, but felt I could have done 5-8 more reps on my very last set.

Standing military press: 2 sets. Felt I could have done more, 4-6 on my last set.

DB rows and pulldowns are similar.

I'm trying to figure out what level of intensity, what my reps should feel like and so forth.

It could be that I have had some big strength gains since I determined my 5 RM weeks ago, which is my guess.

Oh ya, one last thing: after I finish my cycle, whats the process of figuring out my 15, 10 and 5 RM's for the next cycle?

I appreciate it.

I am far from an expert, and new here myself, however, I have experienced the same "symptoms" you talk about here as well. I'm currently on the 1st week of my 5's, tomorrow will be the 3rd day, and the past two workouts I too have felt I could have gone much further with the reps.

The first day I figured I was just having a good workout, but on Wednesday, it happened again. I know when I set my 5 rep maxes a few weeks ago, I was pushing the limits. I've made the decision to chalk it up to a strength increase, and have bumped the weight for my remaining 4 workouts by 5lbs each exercise for the next 4 scheduled days. If tomorrow is still "too" easy, I may bump again.

I think it's just a matter of trial and error, but I can say one thing, I have not seen results like I have seen over the past 4 1/2 weeks from any program I have tried over the years. I truly think my 5's are screwy due to a fairly drastic strength increase!

Oh, again, not an expert, but I believe the "standard" way to set your rep maxes for your next cycle is to simply bump the weights a bit, 5 to 10 lbs depending on the exercise, from where you started the last time. (Figuring you are staying with the same movements here).

at the end of each 2wk cycle if your weight has increased that is your new max for that cycle..ie if your rep max for squats is 100k but on your last day you can manage 105k then do it and use that as your new max..next cycle.. :)
make a sheet like this.
m w f m w f n.max
75 80 85 90 95 100 105

there is a tricky ballance with HST  --- no you do not go to failure.  But YES  there should be an intensity to the workouts.  This is not true with every single work out.  But it should be "work".  Sure the first session of any cycle will be ez.  
One way to think of it is as vicious said the 15s, 10s, and 5s are all a prep for the "post 5s"  aka  negatives.  Once I hit my mid 5s I go to sets of 3 "clustering".  So from the 3erd work out of the 5s on things get heavy. And I am testing maxes and often hitting new highs :D .  Put it this way from your 5s on you should be dancing with failure.  But not hitting it. Then in the post 5s you go to failure and beond (as Buzz Lightyear would say) The trick it you never want to slam up against failure (even in the post 5s) Why cuz then you will fry your CNS and the next workout you will feel like a 90 lb weakling.
hope this makes sense    Bob

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]1.) Since the weights are heavier this week, what type of intensity should I feel? On my last 1-2 reps, should I be struggling? Should I feel like I could have done more?
If by doing more you'll still be able to train as frequently, then you should do a little more. You should be doing as much as you can without sacrificing your ability to train more frequently.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Oh ya, one last thing: after I finish my cycle, whats the process of figuring out my 15, 10 and 5 RM's for the next cycle?
Aside from what Faz mentioned, you may simply add 5 or 10 pounds, what you think you may be able to accomplish (but be conservative about it). Still, the best way would be to actually "test" your max on the very last day of your workout. If your absolute 5RM for the cycle, for example, is 200 and you think you can now do 210, use 210 before going to the negatives or on the very last workout of the cycle. If it works out well, then you got your new max.

Coffeeguy

At athat point in the workout your weights should be feeling fairly heavy, in which case if you are feeling strong enough, add on some weight but go easy.

I am not exactly the volume guy, but that is another approach. :confused:

Then on the other hand, do not be "hasty", or you may find yourself in failure territory.

Listen to your body carefully, and where it is necessary, add on some weight, for the next set, only if the first set felt too easy.

It is not unusual to get stronger than your predicted weights as you progress!

Hope this helps!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Evans @ Dec. 15 2005,4:54)]One way to think of it is as vicious said the 15s, 10s, and 5s are all a prep for the "post 5s"  aka  negatives.  

The trick it you never want to slam up against failure (even in the post 5s)  
The only problem I personally see with this line of thought is that this makes the assumption that growth only occurs in the post 5's which isn't the case.

I disagree with this also, failure can be beneficial. It can increase neural response therefore adding more neural strength. More strength = more loading. In another thread here someone wrote how they are in a constant loop of using the same weights over and over this is what happens when you do not try and set some new PRs, and when trying new PRs you do need to push the envelope. I agree that it can't be maintained but at the end of a cycle before SD'ing, why not?

i agree with dan there..i go to faliure at the end of every 2nd week thats 3 times in 6 weeks i dont think that will do any harm..and if you want new rep maxes why not :confused: :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The only problem I personally see with this line of thought is that this makes the assumption that growth only occurs in the post 5's which isn't the case.
Exactly. No wonder a lot of guys simply want to skip the supposedly "useless" phases and go straight to super heavy loads which simply speeds up the adaptation and wastes useful hypertrophy that could have been gotten from lower weights and would have been a lot easier on their joints.

some guys skip them just because they're strength addicts and the low weights drive them crazy.
tounge.gif

Back