question on sets

some_guy

i've read a little bit on here about doing 1 set of 15's, 2 of the 10's and 3 sets of 5's in order to keep the total number of reps done equal(fairly equal anyways). is this the best route or should i just do 2 sets for the 15's, 10's, and5's? thanks.

I did 2 sets on each block last cycle, which was pretty high volume since I was working out 5 to 6 times a week, but I got really good results.

This time, I'm doing the standard 3x a week, but I'm going to try 1 set on 15s, 2 on the 10s, and 3 on the 5s. The only exception is that I am not adding my isolations in until the 10s, and I am starting them out at 1 set.
So during the 15s, I'm only doing compounds, and only 1 set of each. Then on the 10s, I'll bump the compounds up to 2 sets and add in the isolations but only do 1 set, during the 5's, 3 sets for compounds and 2 for isolations.

The volume will be lower than last time, and who knows... I might freak out halfway through the 10s and start doing 5 to 6 times a week again, but hopefully I won't.

I recommend you try both. Do the classic HST model first, 2 sets for each, then try the 1, 2, 3 setup on the cycle after that. Granted, it will take at least 18 weeks to know which worked better for you.

What they said :D But I will add try it as outlined for a couple cycles at least, to get the understanding down first.

alright thanks for the input. ill do 2 sets first and see how it goes. i like the idea Totentanz had though, might have to keep that in mind for next cycle.

Back