quick question

hi guys tried the 1 set for 5s this wk..but to be honest it didnt feel right..so i went back to 2 sets and i got a better feel in the muscle on the second set,... also i have noticed my form is always better on the 2nd set..so my next cycle will be

15s 2 sets 2wk

10s 2 sets 2wk

5s 2 sets 2wk

5s 1set+metabolic set 2wk cheers guys :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]hi guys tried the 1 set for 5s this wk..but to be honest it didnt feel right..so i went back to 2 sets and i got a better feel in the muscle on the second set,... also i have noticed my form is always better on the 2nd set..so my next cycle will be

15s 2 sets 2wk

10s 2 sets 2wk

5s 2 sets 2wk

5s 1set+metabolic set 2wk cheers guys

Yep, that's ok. A popular reason why people prefer to do 2 sets is that they "feel stronger" on the second set.

The problem here that I see is: if you are "really" using your honest-to-God 5 rep max (because you faithfully tested yourself as accurately as you can before you started the cycle), then wouldn't it follow that when you are actually at that load already (the actual 5rm), wouldn't you naturally be able to do only 5 reps, then be incapable of really finishing another complete set (that is why it is called the 5 rep max after all)? And wouldn't it also mean that if you could do 2 sets of that 5 reps, then your "real" 5 rep max is slightly (or significantly) higher than that depending on the muscle group?

Of course, an answer to that problem would be a strength gain mid-cycle, which is actually not so rare (and that's good, also indicating good CNS recovery). And possible actions to make better use of that strength gain would be to increase the weight, or increase the volume. However, JMHO, not scientific facts or anything, I'd advise on increasing the weight a bit rather than the volume. This is because of two "general" facts:
1.) First, that larger increments "generally" produce more hypertrophy than smaller increments. So, instead of sticking to your current increment and just doing more volume, why not increase the max weight (and therefore also the remaining increments towards it that you have to do) and stick to the lower volume, since this would/should produce a little more hypertrophy due to the increase in weight increments?
2.) And second, as you get closer and closer to your 1RM, it "generally" takes fewer and fewer reps to induce hypertrophy. So the 5 reps you do at that heavy a weight is enough (as long as you truly tested your maxes and tested them right), and if they just "don't feel right", i'd suggest doing a drop set or metabollic set (and between those two, I'd advise just a metabollic set since it is much simpler).

Again, just my honest opinions. If something already works fine for you, and you feel it doesn't hinder your gains, you don't have to bend backwards just to do what I'm saying.

Hope this helps. :)
-JV

cheers jv..BTW happy birthday..i know it sounds weird but on seated hammer curls for instance..i know 20k d bells are my limit i couldnt do 22k not without cheating..but my 2nd set is better than my 1st....dont know why. :confused:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]cheers jv..BTW happy birthday..

Just what I need, get older again
crazy.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i know it sounds weird but on seated hammer curls for instance..i know 20k d bells are my limit i couldnt do 22k not without cheating..but my 2nd set is better than my 1st....dont know why.

Yeah, that's actually not so rare too. The second set sometimes really just makes some people feel stronger and be able to do better on that set. Perhaps because the first set got the blood pumping into the muscles, and so when they do the second set, they have a good pump going already and makes it a little easier. I don't know really. But it does happen anyway, so if a second set makes you finish an exercise better, well, like I said, if it works for you just fine, you don't have to sacrifice that just to follow what I say.

(As to just why the second set sometimes feels better, we're better off asking people like Dan)

Regards! :)
-JV

Back