Quick question.....

Read the HST info Bryan posted up on the main site. It has the studies I'm referring to footnoted. Although I grant you that AFAIK, there isn't a study that says 'CNS fatigue reduces capability', but I think we can agree that overtraining exists :).

Not to sound pedantic, but citing Poliquin etc is just citing the opinions of others.

Also, I'm not saying there's a study that says "don't change". I'm saying it is now possible to construct a regime that satisfies the conditions that science has shown are optimal for muscle growth. And given that, why change from said routine? The only reason I can figure is if it isn't working, and anecdotally at least, the biggest cause of failure for this general set of principles (HST) is a lack of adequate calories.

Quotes are not science.

You can change sets and reps but sets and reps don't matter, they are just a way of organizing volume.

HST has you continually increasing the load, that is the best way to expose the muscle to new growth stimulus, by increasing the load. As Alex pointed out, if you read the hst article on the main site, Bryan cites all his sources. By sources, we mean actual scientific studies, not citing sources by saying that some old coach says it is this way so it is this way.

If your main goal is strength, then why would you not focus on a routine that causes an increase in cross sectional area of the muscle fibers? This is the most efficient way to become stronger, after all.

sigh...that's not what i was asking...at all

i did say let's take hst out of the equation for this one
what i was asking is why is it better to stick to any one program over the course of a full year rather than say do 3-4 routines in th one year, not why is it wrong to change away from hypertrophy specific training

anyways that debate isn't why i came one here at all, so back to my original question, i noticed the main reason not todo it in that way would be the way in which you build up to your 15,10 and 5 rep maxes

if you were to change it to starting the first workout with your actual 15rep max instead of about 90% of it and then just progress from there each week would that be a viable way to do things?

i.e say your 15 rep max for bench is 70kg
if you do that the first monday and then the following monday go for say 72kg
now i know this doesn't go in line with traditional hst in which you build up to your rep maxes but considering you would have went heavier with the 10s and 5s so you would be used to heavier weights and also that progression each weekly is an immutable fact in any successful bodybuilding routine

would this approach work perhaps?

Robbie,

No, working to failure each workout (which is what you are really suggesting) is a prescription for disaster. And it is likely you will end up with decreasing loads after a while instead of increasing loads. But try it if you want to and let us know how it works for you.

Also, do not take the suggestion of "no change" too literally. Of course we change up our exercise selection, number of reps, time under tension, loads, etc. to some extent each and every cycle. We just do not sway from the core principles recommended by HST. If you are not looking to acheive what HST proponents are striving to acheive, it is best to find a program that is designed to give the results you want.

O&G

sigh...that's not what i was asking...at all

i did say let's take hst out of the equation for this one
what i was asking is why is it better to stick to any one program over the course of a full year rather than say do 3-4 routines in th one year, not why is it wrong to change away from hypertrophy specific training

anyways that debate isn't why i came one here at all, so back to my original question, i noticed the main reason not todo it in that way would be the way in which you build up to your 15,10 and 5 rep maxes

if you were to change it to starting the first workout with your actual 15rep max instead of about 90% of it and then just progress from there each week would that be a viable way to do things?

i.e say your 15 rep max for bench is 70kg
if you do that the first monday and then the following monday go for say 72kg
now i know this doesn't go in line with traditional hst in which you build up to your rep maxes but considering you would have went heavier with the 10s and 5s so you would be used to heavier weights and also that progression each weekly is an immutable fact in any successful bodybuilding routine

would this approach work perhaps?

How are you planning to progress the weight, at 15-reps, when you start at your 15RM? You aren't bumping it by 2.5kgs every 2 days ... If your plan is to do week 1 - 15RM for all workouts, then week 2 just bump it one increment then you're looking at a potential/likelihood of CNS fatigue (over-training) and you'll need to restart before getting near the 5's.

progression each weekly is an immutable fact in any successful bodybuilding routine

No no no ... 'weekly' progression is not the immutable fact. Progression is. The body has no awareness for 'weeks'. It's a human construction, you know. If you raise the weights every 10 days, that's progress. Every other workout, that's progress. At some point progress slows to a rate that approximates no progress, and then you decondition or deload (depending on which you believe is more supported in the science) and get back to it after that.

Incrementation is used because it allows you to 'extract' as much hypertrophy as you can from sub-maximal loads before adaptation (repeated bout effect) prevents hypertrophy in response to those load stimuli. You start off at 70% of 15RM because you can still grow at that load after an SD. Jumping in at 90% or 100% skips the gains you might have had if you'd started at a lower load.

It isn't necessarily better to stick to one program for a year, two years etc rather than multiple ones within that time frame. What we're trying to explain is that a training system that follows the science (HST, or variant/similar system) doesn't have a reason to be changed or moved away from.

If you are changing routines 3-4 times a year, the only sane explanations are because;

-You need that change (psychologically)
-Health reasons (joints, over-training etc)
-You aren't growing & getting stronger (/whatever goal you have isn't being met)
-You can't meet the equipment requirements somehow (ala you're stuck in Antarctica doing research and bodyweight exercises with no reliable incrementation is about all you can manage ... gym is too expensive etc)

Change for the sake of it has no realistic expectation to produce results.

It's better to stick to a program that is producing the results that you seek. There is no reason for changing routines 3-4 times a year if you know what you want from your training (and the pragmatic reasons above). You're still asking the wrong question. Why would you change 3-4 times a year?

Again, it's about goals and results. If your goal is to try and lot of different routines etc then go for it. If your goals include hypertrophy and strength, low bf% etc then finding a scientifically supported routine and sticking to it is the way to get those results.

well it was never change for the sake of change, but change because after X amount of time the body adapts to the workout and changing the routine will lead to better results, until the body again adapts. nothing adhd about it, was always 3-4 months for me

How are you planning to progress the weight, at 15-reps, when you start at your 15RM? You aren't bumping it by 2.5kgs every 2 days ... If your plan is to do week 1 - 15RM for all workouts, then week 2 just bump it one increment then you're looking at a potential/likelihood of CNS fatigue (over-training) and you'll need to restart before getting near the 5's.

what i was thinking was ( only thinking, mind)that after doing your 15 rep max on the first workout and going a good bit heavier the rest of the week for your 10 and 5s, you would be in a good position to increase the load and be successful for your next 15s, what with aiming for progression and all

doesn't really matter though, i won't be doing it like that since the overwhelming response it negatory, it was just a thought
i'll be doing a standard hst routine fairly soon and might even treat you guys to a log of it if you behave yourselves

also another little thought- considering the (justified) disdain for german volume training, has anyone tried ( before coming across HST of course) a sister/similar routine of german body composition training? supposedly strips fat off you while building functional muscle yadda yadda
just wondering if anyone has tried it and if it was any good or not?

well it was never change for the sake of change, but change because after X amount of time the body adapts to the workout and changing the routine will lead to better results, until the body again adapts. nothing adhd about it, was always 3-4 months for me

This isn't borne out in data anywhere. Changing (increasing) the load will further results. The body doesn't have the capacity to magically "adapt' to routines. It responds to load stimuli, it's that simple really.

also another little thought- considering the (justified) disdain for german volume training, has anyone tried ( before coming across HST of course) a sister/similar routine of german body composition training? supposedly strips fat off you while building functional muscle yadda yadda
just wondering if anyone has tried it and if it was any good or not?

Routines that promise to burn fat and build muscle simultaneously are lying, to put it bluntly. Without growth hormones or steroids, this isn't happening in non-obese people (in the realm of ~ +25% bodyfat, the excessive fat storage functions as an energy source that supports protein synthesis. Much lower than that and the two things don't happen together).

Whoa, pull those reins in Robbie. I wasn't even suggesting that. Just publishing a related article. Actually I thought one of his charts was intriguing. :cool:

ok so its been a wee while but i was reading through the website and keeping in mind everything that's been discussed so far in this thread, how do you guys explain away the fact that it is stated that biceps exercise selection should be changed frequently? i found that kinda odd that no other muscle was recommended for this

Bryan stated in a post years ago somewhere that he simply recommended that due to his personal preference.

Ah, found it.

You don't have to change bicep exercises if you don't want to. I just do it because I enjoy doing it.
If you are going to change them "strategically" you want to start with a non-stretch movement like concentration curls, and move to a stretch movement like incline curls. This switch can be done once in a cycle, switching half way through the 10s. Or only switch as you go from one full HST cycle to the next.
Any other switching is just for variety. Try not to go from a "strong" exercise to a weak one though. The absolute load on the biceps should still increase steadily as the cycle progresses

Bryan must do his curls differently than I do. My concentration curl style (180 degrees vertical) provides much more of a stretch than incline curls (135 to 150 degrees vertical). I don't even bother with inclines due to the lack of stretch. Maybe inclines would be good as a warm up exercise if anyone actually warms up their biceps separately.

Back