Quick simple question

Jazzer

Hi,
I'm just about to start a new HST cycle and have a quick question. I'm thinking of doing,
A
Deads
Row
Pulldown (might become chins - not sure yet)
Bench
Shoulder press

B
Squat
Row
Pulldown
Dips
Shoulder press.

In that order possibly every other day (I'll see how I go).
I read somewhere here that some of you had better results doing a 20, 15, 10 with leg exercises than the usual 15, 10 & 5 and thought I would give it a go. Would that include the deads? I know the deads work the legs and pretty much everything so I just wanted to find out what you guys thought.
Also any comments on the above routine would be welcome.
Cheers,
Jazzer
smile.gif

Personally I wouldn't but the main thing I wanted to say is why not alternate your exercises?

Currently you have it set up pull,pull,pull,press,press.

Why not deads, bench, rows, shoulder press, chins?

You could then superset but even if you didn't it would give different sets of muscles a rest.

Personally I would do chins first but I put it that way to marry up bench and rows as they're movements in the same plane and the same goes for chins and shoulder press.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Robefc,
thanks for the reply.
The only reason the exercises are in that order is that I always try to work from the largest to smallest muscle group. It is something I have always done. I probably read it somewhere but I can't remember where now. Something to do with energy expenditure I think.
I would think it was more important to do the big spenders (caloriewise) first as opposed to alternating exercises merely on a physical plane basis.
Cheers,
Jazzer  
smile.gif

I'm not saying I'm right mind
smile.gif

<div>
(Jazzer @ Aug. 01 2006,00:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hi Robefc,
thanks for the reply.
The only reason the exercises are in that order is that I always try to work from the largest to smallest muscle group. It is something I have always done. I probably read it somewhere but I can't remember where now. Something to do with energy expenditure I think.
I would think it was more important to do the big spenders (caloriewise) first as opposed to alternating exercises merely on a physical plane basis.
Cheers,
Jazzer
smile.gif

I'm not saying I'm right mind
smile.gif
</div>
Ignore the plane part, that was just my rationale for putting rows with bench instead of chins.

What I was really getting at was just alternating between chest,shoulder,tris and back and bis.

I agree with you, start with the largest body parts, I always exercise chest and back first thenbefore shoulders and shoulders before bis and tris...generally legs would go first ahead of them all. That's partly because of energy and partly because the smaller muscles are involved in the compound lifts anyway.

But I wouldn't distinguish between back and chest and would therefore alternate to take advantage of the rest. Ok I've put shoulders before your last back exercise but that was beacuse your back would b heavily involved in the squats and could probably do with a break before rows/chins.

Cheers

Rob

For all quad exercises, I go 25, 20, 15 and then 10 reps.

I like your selection and order. What are yor plans on number of sets?

Doing deadlifts for 15 reps with 405+ is brutal. Even without going to failure my pulling strength the next day was a joke. Power cleans with 225 felt like 300+.

<div>
(Jazzer @ Jul. 31 2006,18:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hi,
I'm just about to start a new HST cycle and have a quick question. I'm thinking of doing,</div>
My back is usually parallel to the floor when I do bent over rows, which is slightly hard on my lower back (but I've got a sturdy one), so I don't do rows and deadlifts on the same day.  I'd try chins instead of pulldowns (to me, chinups are when your palms are facing toward you), I think they work the lats better than pullups and pulldowns.  Even if you choose pull ups, I think those are still better than lat pulldowns.  

I think higher reps are better for squats and leg presses.  Go higher reps and ATG. Your leg muscles are huge compared to your other muscles and seems like they can handle much more stimulation.  Deadlifts, however, no way.  If anything I decrease the reps on deads.  

That's just the way I do things, it's just my opinion, i'm no expert, etc. etc.

20 - 25 rep deads!

I think you'll get very close to the shortened name, if yo get me drift!

As Steve puts it, deads are in a league of their own, and they will end up draining you flat!
laugh.gif

Thanks for replies,
I don't think I will go as high as 25 for deads but I think I will try 20, 15, 10 this cycle and see how it goes. I'm pretty new to deads so I'm still quite weak on them but they are fast turning into my fav
smile.gif

O&amp;G, set wise I'm going to stick to the vanilla and do it 15 * 1, 10 * 2, 5 * 3 with 20 * 1, 15 * 2 and 10 * 3 for legs.
Cheers,
Jazzer
smile.gif

25 for deads...
wow.gif

Maybe only if the poundage is low enough, otherwise I think I won't be working out for 4 days after that
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Jazzer

Unles you doing &quot;pip-squeek&quot; deads, they will very nearly sap all your energy, but let us see how you do!
laugh.gif

Of course the weight has to be lighter to perform 25 rep deads. The same thing holds true for squats or any other exercise.
rock.gif

Hehehe
biggrin.gif

I suppose they are &quot;pip squeek deads&quot; compared to what some of you are lifting as I am relatively new to them. My 5rm last cycle was 100k so I'm hoping for a nice bit of growth coming my way as I push through that (hopefully  
smile.gif
 )
Cheers,
Jazzer  
smile.gif

I would warn against going too high with your reps on deads. Just be mindful of your low back. It isn't theweight that gets you, it when your low back begins to fatigue during a set that things get dangerous.

You see, when a muscle group fatigues, the load is transfered to ligaments and other msucle groups. This is when injuries generally take place.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is pick a target number of reps that you want to do on deads that &quot;day&quot; then knowck them out with multiple sets stopping well short of failure each time.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You see, when a muscle group fatigues, the load is transfered to ligaments and other msucle groups. This is when injuries generally take place.</div>

This is the very last thing you want to happen during deads. If you stuffed your lower back, or even if you just pulled an intercostal, most of your main compounds would be compromised or impossible.

If you are working up to your true 15RM, deads will be darn hard. Initially, you will gain strength pretty quickly in this movement so just work on your form as much as possible and be sure to finish the set when you feel that it is getting difficult to keep good form - even if you think you have another rep left in the tank.

Back