Rate of Progress

Discussion in 'Strength-Specific Training (SST)' started by Actarus, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Actarus

Actarus New Member

What would you consider a GOOD rate of progress (per MONTH) for :

a) a beginner who can bench press 10x60kg

b) an intermediate who can bench press 10x110kg

c) an advanced who can bench press 10x140kg

In my opinion a) 3kg per month, b) 1kg per month, c) Less than 1kg per month, 1kg every 2-3 month if he can still make progress.

2. OneMoreRep

OneMoreRep New Member

seems about right. i am training for strength now and i try to keep all my increments equal increasing weight on all major lifts by 5 lbs every periodization cycle. seems to be working well!

i've been training for 3 yrs.

( all 5 lb increases are for 5RM )

usually by the end of a cycle it gets heavy, but i feel like i COULD be using more weight but i save it for the next cycle, works well.

3. Aaron_F

Aaron_F New Member

depends on what they are training for

4. Actarus

Actarus New Member

They train for strength we are in SST forum :D they want to increase their 10RM.

I posted this thread because I wanted to know if my progress are at least average or if I could do better. Rate of progress is the most important thing when you train for strength so...

I do chins, 8xBW(72kg)+37kg and I can gain 1-2kg per month not more, not sure if I should change something or not. I don't know how much I can add before I reach a big plateau or simply my potential.

5. Aaron_F

Aaron_F New Member

In reality it still depends on the movement and the overall gains.
    I have gained 5% on my bench in 6 weeks, it was 12.5kg in 6 weeks..1rm tho.
    My 10rm didnt increase that much, but if i was training specifically for it, i would expect the other way around (10rm goes up significantly and 1rm doesnt)

I think 3kg for a beginer is low, potentailly 5-10 can be expected in some of the larger movements, chins is awkward to add weight to at the best of times depending on how you are built.
    1-2kg for a month will be good for a advanced, or extremely advanced. Altho it would be possible to increase quicker than that up to a point.