recommended protein intake

I

imported_flow

I know my question is so basic it should probably be placed in the beginner's forum. Still: why is it that the bodybuilding community recommends taking about 2g of protein per kg bodyweight, when respected nutritional institutions recommend only half that dosage and claim that this will cover the needs of active athletes as well?

As reference, I can only give the "Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Ernaehrung", which (luckily?) most of you will never have heard of. They also say that higher recommendations are a marketing trick in order to sell protein supplements. To get an unbiased answer, this may be the wrong place to ask regarding Bryan's field of business (just joking ;) ).

I bet there are loads of studies clearly proving the benefits of higher protein intake. Just tell me that the issue has been resolved, please...

As I don't know any "conservative" online resources for nutritional information (i.e. websites that only display information which has been unanimously accepted as scientific fact for years - maybe that doesn't exist in nutritional science ;) ), I made the trip to the nearest bookstore and had a look at sports nutrition textbooks. I'm not talking of any muscle-mag ripoffs but rather books geared at sports-related university degrees.

For strength athletes, all of them advised a daily protein intake of 2-3g/kg bodyweight. I take your lack of answers as a sign that my question was totally off the mark. Still, I would be grateful for any links concerning conservative nutritional online advice.

Back