Reducing the Intensity of squats

aamar

Would It be a good idea to make one of my session a light squatting day ?? I find it hard to recover especially after deadlifts. I've just started the the 5x5 strong lift program has anyone got any experience in it.

Thanks
Aamar

My setup is
A
squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Barbell Row 5x5

B
Squat 5x5
Push press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5

Assistance
Pull ups
chinups
close grip bench
upright row

Im thinking about making workout B a light squatting session. I read that I was meant to increase my lifts by 2.5 kg each session

Thanks
Aamar

Last edited:
Hi!!
I did SL a while ago.
It has no lighter day in its novice routine.
Search the stronglifts site for an intermediate routine, but remember, the faster linear progress in strenght is achieved with the beginer routine, once you stall, deload and rebuild (3 times if needed), reduce to 5x3,3x3 and 3x1 (if needed i never got to low, neither i consider should anyone as the weights will most likely produce injury), any is valid and has a specific time to be put into practice. Also check the site to know when.

I believe it is intended to progress for an intermediate somewhere between squating 100 to 140kg. If you seach the site you will find the other lifts goals for intermediate, i can give it on pm as i do not have them right now.

Oh and by the way, the novice routine burned me out so bad, everytime i squated over 60kg i got a major headwick. Looking back i should have SD at some point, wich is a component the program does not incorporate and it will be invaluable if you are to progress further.

Hope i helped

Back