regarding two-a-days...

joe shumsky

i'm definitely feeling it. my question is this: i know that, according to hst principles, two-a-days are superior to one-a-days for total hypertrophy. does this apply to both natural and anabolically assited situations? i am natural (really natural, i.e. no "supplements" from the glass case at gnc.) i just wanted to get some peoples' opinions on the matter before i grossly overtrain/injure myself. thanks for reading/responding. joe

2 a days are definatly better for us "natural" guys. You should be carefull not to overtrain. The 2 a days should be less than an hour. Watch out for fatigue, getting sick,loosing strength etc (all the signs of overtraining). Also you have to eat eat eat while doing 2 a days. The customizing HST thread is good for understanding doubles. It is wierd but one study showed 2 a day 3 x a week works better than every day. Go figure.

go for it dude

Bob

thanks for your responses. i actually have read the customization thread... multiple times, in fact. before that thread, i never would have even dreamed about doing full-body, twice a day. i thought that it simply couldn't be tolerated by a natural organism. wrapping the mind around it is the hardest part, i find. i'm going to see how it goes. what type of set and rep scheme do you guys use in your two-a-days? what kinds of exercises do you use? one more thing: i'm not really going to have access to a gym for about a week and a half during mid-march... that should make for a swell s.d. up until then, however, if you need me, i'll be at the gym.

well the rep scheme is the HST 15, 10, 5, neg. Sets? no more than two. One works. Stick to the compound exercises. Deads, dips, squats, chins, incline bench, rows. Sure you can do a few more than that .... but make sure you gets the compounds in. The BIG 4.

Make sure you do burn sets in the 5s and beyond.

Oh yeah did I mention you will need to eat a lot? Your eating will help you endure it. Also avoid going to failure. 2-a-day is all about creating an enviroment for growth.

;) Bob

I agree with Bob. It works great, but you should keep your routine very simple. I would do 1 set for each and stick with deads, squats, rows, chins and either dips or bench press. You could do a military press or something similar for shoulders too.
Ideally, your workout shouldn't last more than a half an hour, in my opinion, if you only do one set for each.

And yeah, EAT. You will probably be starving all the time doing this, so pack the food in like it's your job.

gentlemen, thanks again for the input. i'm very excited about the two-a-day training... i mean, it makes total sense to me. by the way, i am using all of the exercises you mentioned. instead of the deadlift, however, i do the barbell hack squat. i feel it gives my quads more work than the traditional deadlift. i do, however, use the straight legged deadlift. i think that as long as i eat enough food and get enough sleep, i'm going to see the best progress of my life on this routine. good day.

Cool stuff Joe. I start my next cycle in March too, I'm planning on using hte BB hack squat to replace the regular squat in my routine (6x a week ED) too. Let me know how your's works when you get started.

Joe

The deadlift is for your upperbody so you may want to rethink the hack squats. Lifting all that weight puts tremendous strain on your shoulders, arms, back,...that is part of the magic of deads. Use the inside/out grip and do two sets alternating the grip. Puts strain on your biceps. A static hold. Deads are a great bicep developer. Hacks are not.

Bob :confused:

i'll let you know how it goes with the hack squat. i've done the deadlift in the past... i know that it works the upper body to a great extent. i would never assemble a routine that didn't involve some type of deadlift! i figure i'm getting all of the upper body benefits of the deadlift from the stiff/straight-legged deadlift (not to mention the same/a greater degree of lower back stimulation.) the reason that i'm using the hack squat is due to the fact that i really want to try to bring up my legs, which aren't as strong as i'd like. i don't know if i'm the only one here, but my deadlift has never been that great. i once topped off at 355 in the stiff-legged deadlift, though... and, at a height of 5'4", and a bodyweight of roughly 130 at the time, i don't think that's too shabby. i'm a little guy, what can i say? since i've started lifting with hst principles, though, a little over a year ago, i've gained about 10 lbs. of lean body mass. i hope these results continue. knock on wood.

I'm hacking instead of squatting because I can't seem to get the hang of squatting with my quads. I'm pretty much a ham/hip squatter to the core, even in oly shoes!

Not to hijack the thread....so you perform the full body routine twice a day? Do you change the rep scheme at all the second time? Im thinking about trying two a days M/W/F.

the rep range between morning and evening workouts, the handful of times i've done them as of yet, has been more or less the same. maybe switching them up would manage fatigue more efficiently. i'll try it out. interesting note: on the second workout this past friday, i hit an all-time p.r. on dips. 16, full range, controlled tempo. i found this ironic as it was the 4th time i'd done dips in two days' time. there's definitely something to this...

Since 4 weeks I have changed my workout to 2 x p week, full body. I train on Monday and Thursday and I feel much better!!

Back