rep ranges

I

imported_duffman

Just a quick question regarding rep ranges. i know this question may have been answered somwhere else but im curious, insted of doing 2 weeks of 15's, 10's etc, is it ok to go 15,12,10,8,5,5 working up to your max each week. weights sould be increasing each time but reaching failure of the last work out of each week.

-cheers.

what are the pro's and cons? i was thinking it would be more specific to do it 15,12,10 etc.

The biggest cons to the 15, 12, 10, etc. range method are that:

A. Your increments will be smaller and rather close together.

B. You will be working at your failure weight twice as often.

C. It requires a finer tuning of your maxes.

The pros are that:

A. It is less boring which I find important in keeping my mental attitude high.

B. Some people need less tendon and joint work than others and benefit from greater time spent in the traditionally considered "anabolic" range of 8 to 12 reps.

Basically, it comes down to personal preference. It isn't going to make a majot difference in your long term results.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ Feb. 24 2005,8:57)]B. You will be working at your failure weight twice as often.
Good point O&G

Probably why Bryan says in the FAQ "Zig Zagging"
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There is nothing magical about using 15s, 10s, and 5s. Some people have used 15,12,10,8, and 5s, changing reps each week. This creates quite a bit more fatigue in well-trained lifters though and can begin to interfere with their training.

Back