Rep tempo

Fuzzy_Logic

I've read the FAQ on rep tempo, but I'm still a bit confused.

Is it so that tempo should be slow in the beginning of a macrocycle, and faster as you near the end of the macrocycle with the RM in the end? So for example on the 15s, you go slower in the beginning, then faster as you near your 15RM? Same goes for the 10s and 5s I assume...

Also, the general consensus seems to be that you should go a bit slower on the eccentrics than on the concentrics in general?

I do lots of compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, barbell rows) and it's almost impossible to be counting exact rep tempo on those exercises. And on barbell rows in the end of the 5RMs, I dont think it's safe to control the rep tempo too much.

Last edited:
Don't worry, just keep the weight controlled.

The slower tempo in the 15's is for allowing more lactic acid buildup (keeping the tension on the muscle causes some occlusion) but after the 15's the load will mostly dictate the tempo.

Think of the logic/physics behind rep speed: generally speaking, with a faster tempo you are accomplishing the direct work of moving the load in less time, so your power output is higher. If your muscles are trained to produce more power, this is likely to be more functionally useful to you. (That doesn't mean that if you are performing an isometric contraction then your power output is zero -- at a cellular level, myosin and actin filaments are still contracting and relaxing to provide enough force to hold the load still so work is still being done for the time you are holding the load.)

Bryan's (or was it Blade's?) take on rep speed in the FAQ is just a suggestion to make sense of the submax loads at the start of each mesocycle. Ie. When the load is relatively light (say 75% of RM), if you perform the reps more slowly you can make the work seem more difficult to do because you are increasing the TUT. This will help to raise lactate level and produce the associated muscle burn.

I actually prefer to keep the reps speed relatively fast while always maintaining form and control of the load. During 15s, if I haven't induced a burn with whatever load I am using, I just do more reps -- I might do 20-25 at the start of 15s. I like pain! :)

Like Dan said, it's really only something to mess with during 15s. As the loads get heavier through the course of the cycle, it becomes harder and harder to maintain a fast concentric rep speed; by the time I am at the end of the 5s, the concentric rep speed might be quite slow compared to the start of the cycle, but I am still trying to lift the load as fast as possible.

As an alternative approach during 15s and to maximise the occlusion effect that Dan mentioned, you might want to try doing slower concentrics (2-3 secs) coupled with as-fast-as-possible eccentrics.

My feeling is that you should work on your form for each movement so that you are able to vary the rep speed without compromising the path of the barbell. Some movements, eg. Oly lifts, require that you do the movement explosively. These are all high power movements. I think the Oly snatch has the highest power output of any movement. I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't want to improve your power output, so a faster rep speed makes the most sense but, again, always ensuring that this is not at the expense of good form.

Faster rep speeds does indeed equal more power output, but will that in any way benefit hypertrophy?

And if I get you right, Lol, you're saying that I should go slower on the concentrics of the 15s. Then the rest of the cycle (10s and 5s) just keep the weight at a controlled speed up and down?

Concentric reps should always be done explosively.

Eccentric reps should be done slow enough to make the last two or three reps "effective", especially so in your last set for each body part.

Faster rep speeds does indeed equal more power output, but will that in any way benefit hypertrophy?

And if I get you right, Lol, you're saying that I should go slower on the concentrics of the 15s. Then the rest of the cycle (10s and 5s) just keep the weight at a controlled speed up and down?

During 15s, I think you should play it by ear, so to speak. If you find that at your regular tempo you perform 15 reps and don't feel a burn (or overall lactic acid fatigue, which is what happens during high-rep squats and deads), either slow the reps down a bit or do more reps. By the time you get to the end of the 15s for the 15RM workout you will probably want to be using your regular tempo in order to get all the reps*. This will be especially true if you are doing more than one set.

Perhaps save slower rep speeds (and any experiments with occlusion techniques) for the first week of 15s when the loads are lightest. For the rest of the cycle (second week of 15s, 10s and 5s), I do think it's a good idea to lift explosively but to always maintain control.

*Please bear in mind that a successful HST cycle is not about reps and sets per se, it's primarily about load progression and appropriate volume over the course of the cycle. Don't over-think this. Just aim to get a good burn during the 15s.

At the end of the day all of this will matter little. I think that the cost/benefit of overthinking this kind of variable is too big to make it worth your while. If you have everything else in check, load progression, form, diet, rest... then you might play a little with your rep tempo and see how your body responds. Other then that if you do reps explosively when the weights are light and reduce speed when they get heavier from the point of view of the muscle the progression is not that big since the force used is similar. If you keep rep speeds constant (be it slower or faster) then the only variable afecting the force exerced by the muscle is the load on the bar.
My two cents? Lower the weight (eccentric) slowly (not too slow) and raise it (concentric) faster but without compromising form. Try to keep this rep speed/tempo constant throughout your cycle and don't waste too much time thinking about this. Dedicate your time to improve your form, get your diet right and rest enough.

Alright, thanks guys ;)

I'll experiment a bit with tempo on the first week of the 15s, then the rest of the cycle I'll just lift explosive on the consentric and maybe a bit slower on the eccentrics.

And good point, electric, overthinking this probably isn't worth it in the end.

Anyways thanks again for your help, and let me say that it's a great community you've got here ;)
The program is also great, I've even experienced growth on the 15-rep cycle, especially in my quads and chest. Feels good :)

I'm always amazed at the quality of the information you guys provide. There is no superstition, no cultural relics, no belligerent replies...not even anything that can't be backed up by some study or other. If people only knew (and trusted) the kind of information they can get here on this small forum without all the bodybuilding "look at me I wear a wool cap and no shirt while I workout" hype kind of crap you get everywhere else. Anyway, thanks again, you guys are a rare breed.

Back