Repping out on final workout of each 2 week block

wmullen

What's the general opinion on repping out on the final set of each exercise in the final workout of each 2 week block?

Has anyone tried this and compared the results to just sticking with the planned reps?

For example I would imagine that my actual strength by the end of each 2 week block could be significantly higher than that planned. As a result I could maybe get 12/13 reps (1 rep short of failure) at the end of the 2 week block instead of the planned 10. In theory this would make sense given that there is a mini deload coming up with the first week of the next 2 week block.

Anyone tried this?

I rep out to failure at the end of each mini block generally, unless I feel Ive been pushing things a bit much. Otherwise just do the required reps.

This is fine to do if you really feel the need to, however this won't change your results with regards to how much muscle you will gain.

If you correctly estimated your RM, that cannot happen in a 2 week period even to a rank beginner unless you have added steroids into the equation.

If you correctly estimated your RM, that cannot happen in a 2 week period even to a rank beginner unless you have added steroids into the equation.

Mmmm, I'm not so sure.

I'm currently on my first bulk cycle using HST and coming towards the end with a number of weeks of "extended 5s", i.e trying to push RMs every workout. I'm starting to feel pretty beat up and can sense that the end will soon be nigh, at which point I will have genuine rep maxes. However given that I will be dipping into overtraining territory very soon (or "overreaching", whatever you want to call it), I can imagine that once I get 9 days SD and a further mini-deload from the first week of 15s that I might get a nice kick in strength? Something like dual factor theory, pushing into overreaching territory and then deloading to allow the increased performance to shine through the fatigue.

Anyway, it's all theory at this point, so we shall see what happens once I get to the end of the 15s in the next cycle :eek:)

If you correctly estimated your RM, that cannot happen in a 2 week period.

There´s always that. But then, if for example, you´re at the end of your 8rm block (in my case) one has been working out for 6 weeks since the start of a new cycle. I dont see any reason why one cant improve strength slightly during that time with perhaps a rep or two. A standard cycle is usually only 6 or 7 weeks anyhow. Do you see my reasoning? In my case, its probably me not estimating my RMs correctly ;)

Last edited:
A rep or two in 6 weeks is reasonable and expected. A 30 increase in 10 reps in 2 weeks in very unlikely though I guess anything is possible.

Yes, going from 10 to 13 reps would be a 30% increase in the number of reps. Obviously not in strength or weight lifted. I forgot the %.

Mmmm, I'm not so sure.

I'm currently on my first bulk cycle using HST and coming towards the end with a number of weeks of "extended 5s", i.e trying to push RMs every workout. I'm starting to feel pretty beat up and can sense that the end will soon be nigh, at which point I will have genuine rep maxes. However given that I will be dipping into overtraining territory very soon (or "overreaching", whatever you want to call it), I can imagine that once I get 9 days SD and a further mini-deload from the first week of 15s that I might get a nice kick in strength? Something like dual factor theory, pushing into overreaching territory and then deloading to allow the increased performance to shine through the fatigue.

Anyway, it's all theory at this point, so we shall see what happens once I get to the end of the 15s in the next cycle :eek:)

I strongly prefer to keep this increase in strength in reserve until you get to the 5s and work on just extending those. You don't want to accumulate too much fatigue prior to the post-5s and you don't want to get too close to RBE either. But in the long run, it probably doesn't really matter either way.

I think Ill heed your advice there totz and stick to the predetermined rep count and save myself for the 5´s hereon.

ok, so I think the general concensus is to save yourself for the 5s and beyond...thanks for the feedback!

On a separate note, I'm starting to feel pretty burn out from 3 sets of 5 across at the top weight in the post 5's. I'm now in week 3 of "extended 5's" and would like to try and extend it to xmas if possible (another couple of weeks).

What's the opinion on replacing 3 sets across with 3 ramped sets, so that the final set is the only set at the top weight as opposed to all 3. Something like Bill Stars ramped 5x5. Surely this would spare the CNS a bit and allow the extended 5's to be extended that bit further, whilst still providing an effective stimulus if the loading on the ramp is something like 80%, 90%, 100% of the top set of 5?

ok, so I think the general concensus is to save yourself for the 5s and beyond...thanks for the feedback!

On a separate note, I'm starting to feel pretty burn out from 3 sets of 5 across at the top weight in the post 5's. I'm now in week 3 of "extended 5's" and would like to try and extend it to xmas if possible (another couple of weeks).

What's the opinion on replacing 3 sets across with 3 ramped sets, so that the final set is the only set at the top weight as opposed to all 3. Something like Bill Stars ramped 5x5. Surely this would spare the CNS a bit and allow the extended 5's to be extended that bit further, whilst still providing an effective stimulus if the loading on the ramp is something like 80%, 90%, 100% of the top set of 5?

If I remember correctly SteveJones said that was how he usually trained when following a HST protocol (i.e.: only his final set was his "working weight".) I could be wrong, but I beleive if you search through his posts you will find something to that effect somewhere.

Thats one way to do it, however the 80% lift may not be enough to promote growth as youve been accustomed to 100% for a week or so. I usually just cut the sets down a bit. Do 2 sets of 5 at 100% instead, for example. You could even do some clustering up to between 10 and 15 reps too.

Thats one way to do it, however the 80% lift may not be enough to promote growth as youve been accustomed to 100% for a week or so. I usually just cut the sets down a bit. Do 2 sets of 5 at 100% instead, for example. You could even do some clustering up to between 10 and 15 reps too.

I don't think it matters much once you are lifting your 5RM+ and extending the cycle. One set at those loads should be enough to keep stimulating growth until RBE sets in.

I don't think it matters much once you are lifting your 5RM+ and extending the cycle. One set at those loads should be enough to keep stimulating growth until RBE sets in.

True, but that would render the previous sets(the first at least) useless, apart from using energy IMO.

I'm already doing an 80% set as the final warm up, so effectively I'd be dropping one of the 3 top sets and replacing one with a 90% effort.

My main concern at this point is to prevent CNS burnout, as I don't want to have to take a break now and then a further break over the Xmas period.

Also it would be interesting to see if I can peak strength using the ramped method.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

True, but that would render the previous sets(the first at least) useless, apart from using energy IMO.

I wouldn't do the ramp up set all with 5 reps. I'd do like 5,3,2,1 then a top set of 5 reps with the working weight. The last two warmup sets would mostly be "acclimation" sets.

Last edited:
I'm already doing an 80% set as the final warm up, so effectively I'd be dropping one of the 3 top sets and replacing one with a 90% effort.

My main concern at this point is to prevent CNS burnout, as I don't want to have to take a break now and then a further break over the Xmas period.

Also it would be interesting to see if I can peak strength using the ramped method.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I can see the 80% set would be good as a warm-up. I usually do a couple of reps at ca80 when Im on my 5´s just to prepare myself. Im just thinking about fatigue. The 90% is less than youve been lifting for a week or so(I believe) so its not really doing anything(I believe). Why not just go right up to 100% and do 5 reps then cluster a couple more, then a couple more again. That way all your lifts are "counting" and your lifts at 100% will be fewer and less stressful for the cns than 3sets of 5.

I am using myo reps with undulating reps this cycle. In my 5's, since that seems to be where this thread has evolved, I am doing 1 set of 5 then 5 sets of either 1 or 2 reps with roughly a 10 to 15 second rest between sets. The theory is that you are getting the benefit of the "effective" reps without the fatigue of doing 3 to 4 non-effective reps before getting to the reps that really "count." So far I am loving it. As I progress toward my RM, in this case a 5 RM, my follow up reps decrease from 2 to 1 and my rest time increases a bit. That way I can control what I will refer to as intensity although it is not truly just intensity but also perceived load. To me, it "feels" as if I am getting the benefit of doing about 3 sets of 5's in a much shorter time frame (less than 2-3 minutes instead of 15 to 20.). This, naturally, makes your set volume on paper look really high but your rep volume on the low side. Because of this "intensity", I am doing only one exercise per body part with a frequency of a minimum of 4 work outs per week and 5 if my schedule allows it. Full body done in 30 minutes and feel like I have worked out for more than an hour.

There are several similar approaches to the multiple set conundrum, some of which have been mentioned, including progressing with each set, clustering, partial sets, rest pause, etc. "Myo" reps is nothing new but combines many of the older techniques together and puts a new label on them. However, my early experience so far has been very good. Kudos to Blade!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back