Round bloated belly

alam906

Hey guys, my stomach always seems to be bloated looking like I'm full as hell from eating. Yes I do have a decent amount of bodyfat, but this doesn't feel like blubber, it's just round and pushing out. Around the belly button and above. I've read that eating too much sodium causes that bloated look. I also read that it's a weak transverse abdominal. What do you guys do for this? Stomach vacuums were mentioned before.

Extra question. Uneven abs. Genetics right? Can't really do anything about that?

Uneven abs are genetic.

Bloated belly is usually visceral adipose tissue - basically fat around your organs rather than under the skin. Men are more prone to it than women. Sodium is not the problem. If you store VAT then you store VAT, that's just how your body is going to be forever. I have it happen too and the only way to get rid of it is to diet down. It becomes more noticeable the heavier you get. You can try strengthening the muscles in the area so they hold it in more but that is only going to do so much to help.

Thanks for the insight toten. Guess I'll just bulk like crazy and worry about the cutting later. For the mean time, any specific exercises you recommend to keep it as flat as possible? It gets tiring walking around while you suck and flex your stomach all day.

Try Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss Handbook and//or UD 2.0. From what you're describing, you & I have a similar issue and tailored cutting (going the full nine yards) is about the only thing that worked on a permanent basis. Trying to do the 'slow burn' cut over 6mths didn't work for me (sub 250-500 of maintenance per day).

I think age is - or can be - a big factor here too.

I never used to have this issue until I was nearly 40, when my natural test levels started to drop. Then everything I ate went straight to my belly rather than my muscles, unfortunately.

I couldnt manage a rapid fat-loss type diet, like Lyle's, as its just not practical in a modern household, with hungry kids, and shift work, so I have had to stick with a slow burn, reduced calorie diet. Calories wise, I currently aim for around 10 X bwt on non-training days, and 12 X bwt on training days. I also do this IF-style, ie; within an 8hr eating window. 1g per 1lb bwt.

I have reduced my belly fat - visibly noticably - over the last few months, and this week alone, I lost 3lb.

I plan to stick with this plan, certainly throughout this summer, or until I notice a loss of muscle size.

Brix

Yeah when I look at my girlfriend, her fat is mostly down below the belly button, while mines are like a ball. I think it also runs in the family, since everyone in family has a big belly, mines is considered the smallest already. What i'll do is just worry about this belly case later and keep bulking up. After that then i'll look into cutting and retaining as much muscle as possible.

ha...

I'm sure your girlfriend would love to know you were discussing her belly fat on the worldwide web!!!

Visceral adiposity (that bulging beer gut type of fat) is also a sign that insulin resistance is developing. If left unchecked, it can eventually lead to metabolic syndrome or even Type II diabetes. If it gets excessive, just do some HIIT – it's very effective at dealing with this type of fat. This was a pretty well-conducted study that demonstrated some impressive effects of HIIT-type exercise (done on young women) on abdominal fat: http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/somsweb.nsf/resources/POM0801/$file/Jan08.pdf. If you want some more, just go to google scholar and search for like "visceral adiposity high intensity interval" or something related (http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=visceral+adiposity+high+intensity+interval&btnG=&as_sdt=1%2C30&as_sdtp=). Bunch of studies that demonstrate its superiority over regular steady-state aerobics. Anyways, food for thought.

Back