Routine Too Intense?

dirtyc

I have read the HST principles and nearly all the FAQs. However, I wanted to add/remove/swap a couple exercises from the recommended program, but also want to make sure I don't bite off more than I can chew. I'm posting my routine below:

Each two week block will look like this:
WEEK 1
Monday (call it Workout A)
-Squat
-Power Cleans
-Bench
-Chins
-Barbell Curl
-Lying EZ-Bar Tricep Extensions (aka skullcrushers)

Wednesday (call it Workout B)
-Deadlift
-Dips
-Barbell Rows (pause on the floor between reps - I think this is called Pendlays?)
-Standing Shoulder Press
-Barbell Curl
-Lying Tricep Extensions

Friday (Wrkt A)
-Squat
-Power Cleans
-Bench
-Chins
-Barbell Curl
-Lying Tricep Extensions

WEEK 2
Monday (B)
-Deadlift
-Dips
-Barbell Rows
-Standing Shoulder Press
-Barbell Curl
-Lying Tricep Extensions

Wedneday (A)
-Squat
-Power Cleans
-Bench
-Chins
-Barbell Curl
-Lying Tricep Extensions

Friday (B)
-Deadlift
-Dips
-Barbell Rows
-Standing Shoulder Press
-Barbell Curl
-Lying Tricep Extensions

Note that the Isolation work (bis and tris) is being done on barbells to allow proper progression through the 6 workouts. I'm not strong enough to do 5lb increments (as using dumbells would require). The 1st workout of the two week block would be too light and the final (6th) too heavy.

I think my main concern is workout A being too much. Squats and PowerCleans on the same day may be too brutal. I feel PowerCleans in my legs, so maybe I should use Hang Cleans instead?

FYI I'm coming off of doing the Modified DeLorme Hypertrophy Training Method (deadlifts and benches) from Pavel Tstouline's (of DragonDoor fame) Beyond Bodybuilding book, so I feel like my lower back has a good base against which to endure this potentially brutal lower back assult.

What do you think? Solid routine?

Last edited:
Back