s_hutch 1st cycle

s_hutch

hi guys!

right got a bit of free time from revision so thought I would get this up! Im just finishing off 11 days SD apart from a rugby match last sat so starting routine on Monday hopefully! i am currently 180lbs and 6ft...(lost a wee bit in last two weeks oddly from eating same amount) just from using the A/B routine so should look like this:

A/B

Squat/Deadlift
bench/dips
pull ups/BOR For pull ups i could never get 15 reps so was going to try to cluster to get 30
military press/military press? wasnt too sure about this whether I should do military press on both routine
Should you do shrugs to power shrugs instead or add them in as well im bit
worried about doing too much!
tricep extension/bicep curl

was aiming also to do on monday a bit of power work by doing 3x10 jump squats would that be okay or too much work on legs?

going to aim for sets 2x15, 3x10, 3x5 and then figure out what to do for last two weeks...lol I have a bit of sore wrist from rugby and carring an injury on both shoulders that bench in particular hurts so im hoping the rest will have settled that!

Im going to be taking myprotein creatine monohydrate and myprotein mass gainer (giving it a shot instead of whey)

aiming for 180g protein and 360g carbs or so a day!
hoping for a diet along the lines off:

1.porridge 70g carbs 11g protein - shake 24g protein 32g carbs
2. chicken sandwich with 3 slices of bread
3.eggs on toast (3-4?)/ chicken and pasta both with some sort of salad jazz
4.fruit porridge 60g with protein shake 34g protein 43g carb
5.dinner whatever my mum makes!
6. protein shake 34g protein 43g carb
7. prior to bed about 100g cottage cheese
ill try to eat fruit throughout day as well like banana, oranges, grapes! is there anything i should add/take away? theres no fish or nuts as im allergic to both :(

hopefully this will work
thanks!

Last edited:
Looks like a great program and diet plan. You can either do military press on both routines dropping the number of sets to one or alternate military press with upright rows or even with shrugs. That way on A day you do Military and on B you do Shrugs or power shrugs. If you choose to do that put shrugs or uprights on squat day and military on deadlift day. If you are planning on doing 2x15 and 3x10 try to at least start with 4 ou 5 x 5. When loads get high you can drop the number of sets.
Regarding the diet, since you don't have fish nor nuts I'd recommend you supplement with some flaxseed oils and add some avocados to get some omega-3s in.
Good luck.

1st session today cause of bank holiday yesterday!

Squats - 2x15 50kg
Bench - 2x15 50kg
Pull ups - 6 reps, 3 reps, 4 reps, 3 reps couldnt pull myself up after this last set dunno why it was so hard
shrugs - 2x15 52.5kg
bicep curl - 2x15 20kg

second set of everything murdered me went to do some core work at end but was too close to being sick. think pull ups suffered from how tired i was from squat and bench! i was doing a 5x5 before this so big rep jump!

deadlift 2x15 62.5kg
dips 2x15 bw
bent over row 2x15 32.5kg
shoulder press 2x15 25kg second set clustered for 10,5
tricep extension 2x15 20kg triceps felt shattered at this point was unusally hard had to cluster 2nd set 10,5

bit worried have had to cluster already worried weights are too high! might have to increase increments by a lot less

session 3 of 15's

squat 2x15 55kg
bench 55kg 15 reps then 13,2
pull ups bw 5,4,4,3,3 dont get any easier anyway....any advice on pull ups would be great
power shrugs 2x15kg 55kg
barbell curl 22.5kg 15 reps then 10,5

first set of everything bar pull ups is fine second set is a real struggle by the time i hit 10 reps! should be okay for final session next week!

Pull-ups are hard! :)

Bear in mind that right now you are using ~60kg for your squats and around 80kg (bw) for your pull-ups! If you are bulking then any increase in pull-up strength is probably going to matched by bw increase.

It won't matter now but I would have encouraged you to try jumping pull-ups for 15s (a kind of assisted pull-up - set up a platform under your bar so that you can just reach the bar with your feet on the floor; then, for each rep, push off with your calves just enough to help you to get your chin over the bar; lower under control, but not slowly, just regular rep speed ~2 seconds). You could still try this for the remainder of 15s if you like.

A lot of folks find their chinning strength is higher than their pull-up strength so you could try switching to chins and see if that helps you to get a few more reps each set.

If you don't want to do assisted chins then because you are effectively using a load which is around your 5RM, fatigue from the first set is going to impact on subsequent sets if you go too close to failure. What you need to do is have a bit more rest between sets and not go so close to failure on the first set.

Try this:

Do a set of bench as per your programming then do 4 pull-ups (or, if chinning and it's easier, do 5 reps).
Go back and do your next set of bench when you feel ready; short rest then next set of chins/pull-ups.
Then move onto shrugs (or whatever you have to do next) and do a set of chins/pull-ups following each set of those.
Try to get at least 20 total reps this way, which will be 5 sets of 4 or 4 sets of 5. Hopefully, you will get through the reps without getting so close to failure each set.

If you find that you start to recover/gain some strength after a few sessions, try adding an extra pull-up each set; if not, just keep trying for 20 total reps each session. As the cycle progresses, add another set every couple of weeks. Once you get to the post-5s start doing negatives with extra load. Find a load that allows you get three good reps and then use that for sets of 5. At the end of 3 sets of 5, do a metabolic set of assisted reps (use the jumping technique) for about 15 reps. (Read the HST FAQ on negatives for more guidance.)

Being quite tall, your problem is going to be that you might gain a fair amount of weight quite quickly(assuming you are trying to get bigger) which will then make your chins harder, so don't be surprised if you don't seem to be improving much. Keep working away at them and it won't be too long before you will be able to do at least one set of 15 reps, unassisted.

cheers lol! ill find try that out on wed see if it helps me on the later sets! the wee back is lagging behind lol...

session 4 of 15's!

deadlift 72.5kg 15,10,5
dips bw+2.5kg 15,10,5
bor 37.5kg 15,10,5
military press 27.5kg 15,9,5,1
tricep extension 20kg 15,10,5

first set still grand but second set of everything still real hard next two sessions are goingto be real tough!
did a few core planks after but any advice on core work for after work out??

5 session 15's!

was shattered had to go this afternoon, had an exam this morning so got like 4 hours sleep up stressing all night :(

squat 60kg 15, 12,3
bench 60kg 12,3,7,4,3,1 very hard!
power shrugs 60kg 15, 10,5
bicep curl 25kg 15,7,4,4
did 5 sets of 4 pull ups like lol suggested between squat and bench first two sets were excellent last 3 not so good! my right elbow seems to come in when tough gets going...i think its cheating?

Back