SCI's log

g/l sci....low back injuries are a bitch...we've all had em at one point, I think. Just get plenty of rest & lots of protein
smile.gif

It has been exactly one week since my last SST workout (the one where I strained my back benching a measly 215, yes my bench needs major improvement).
I am still feeling CNS drain form that SST cycle. It is partly due to stress lately, but partly I think I just beat the hell out of my CNS doing so much max effort lifting (1rm levels). I am looking forward to the HST cycle when I will be using submax weights throughout. Now I know why westsiders alternate exercises (the conjugate method) and only max out once/week for squat-type lifts and once/week for bench-type lifts.
I didn't quite believe it, but maxing out frequently really does burn out your system...I may just stick with HST for awhile as I have heard many guys get burned out on 5x5 strength routines also, especially if they start out too heavy.

I like HST and Max-stim since they manage fatigue so well, have built in SD, starting out with light weights, etc. I will keep my max effort powerlifting to once/cycle at the end of the cycle. Once I am plateauing on my HST cycle, I will take a few days off and then do some 1rm attempts to test my strength gains. Then take a week off to allow my sytem to 'recharge'.
cool.gif

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Apr. 05 2007,21:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It has been exactly one week since my last SST workout (the one where I strained my back benching a measly 215, yes my bench needs major improvement).</div>
Hey, that's what I benched last night.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, but you lifted it many times...I lifted it ONCE!
blush.gif

It does feel good to have my lifts creeping up on you bigger guys: leige, quadancer, Lol, I HAVE YOU IN MY SIGHTS AND YOUTH IS ON MY SIDE!
wink.gif

Well, not really...Leigelord is way ahead of me on most lifts, but I think I can catch Quadancer and Lol before too long. (at least I hope so!
rock.gif
)

Hey Sci, having not benched in 6 months (AC joint issue) I thought I'd try the other night (after the Korte-esque 50 squats with 64% of my 1RM thing - darn it, still sore from that). Managed to get 255 for 3 reps.

I didn't quite realise what was on the bar as I worked in with another guy. Anyway, I've never even used that weight before. Previous best was 5 x 250.

So, although I have probably dropped a bit of strength through lack of benching, I don't think it'll be long before I surpass my previous 5RM if my AC joint holds out. Still a little sore but way better than before. I'll just have to play it by ear.

You certainly have youth on your side but I'm damned if I'm going to sit back and use that as an excuse as you close the (inconsiderable) gap!
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> but maxing out frequently really does burn out your system...</div>
Ya think ? ? ?

Heheh, we live and we learn, don't we?
I don't think I'll be in any competition with you little whippersnapper @%^$&amp;*%'s anytime soon! You all have every shot at passing me up, especially with my new workload! You also have my support!

Back