seems so simple

jonsmith

I just want to make sure i understand this before i get started. (i've read the main HST page and some FAQ's)

Is this right?

-first you determine your 15, 10, and 5 RM's
-then you put that into the HST calculator with 5-10 lbs increments for Upper body and 10-20 for lower body
-then since everything is set you just follow that with about 5 min of cardio warm-up and you warm-up each major muscle group for every workout, and 1-2 work sets per excercise
-after the 8 week cycle you take 9 days off for SD and then do it all over again except you just add 5-10 lbs. to your maxes instead of figuring them out again

It seems so simple that i feel like i'm missing something

how many excercises do you pick for your total body routine?
if the determined weight for a workout is 150 for bench press for 2 work sets of 15, do you do both sets at 150?

is there anything i'm missing?

Thanks.

Jon

You're not missing a thing! That is just the way it is...simple.
biggrin.gif

Only stick to this rather:

15 - 1 work-set
10 - 2 work sets
5 - 3 work-sets
negs either three or two work sets, depends how your joints are bearing out!

Exercises - best to keep things simple:

Legs - Squats and deadlifts
Back - Chinups and rows (any form you wish)
Chest - Slight incline bench and dips
Shoulders - Military and/or overhead presses.
Arms - most of us don't really use isolations but some include them at the 5's as metabolic stress inducers.

That is it! Simple as can be!

Some of us also prefer to use % for the increments rather than pounds, but that is choice!
cool.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">if the determined weight for a workout is 150 for bench press for 2 work sets of 15, do you do both sets at 150?
</div>

You try to...at the same weight but you don't have to do both to 15 reps if you can't, remember...avoid failure...except on last rep of last workout.

That is it mate...happy lifting!

Why don't you do arm training regularly? Couldn't you do mass building excercises to build your arms maximally? cause on the training sample program in the main article they include arms.
And what about abs?

ill jump in with a few thoughts.

as far as arms go you hit them with the compound exer. mentioned, dip and bench hit tris and a close grip chin is quite a bi w/o. you may want to include other bi (or another muscle group) work but i think faustos main point is to keep it simple and effective to start and that is best accomplished with the compound exer.  he mentioned.

many do ab work at the end of their w/o. some do it HST style but i dont think you must. 1-2 exer. each w/o should be enough to begin and you can eval. from there.

it is a simple system to plan but dont be fooled into to thinking its (too) easy to do. depending on how you USED to lift working sub-max for just a 1-3 sets is hard to stick with( many want to push it harder). some have trouble with the whole body work 3x a week (basic minimum) but i think the biggest hurdle can be the need for consistancy. you really need to keep the days missed during your 6-8 week cycle to a minimum if you want good results. indiv. w/o are not too hard (although some in the 5s are) but the key is to stick with it w/o after w/o with wgt progression. simple to say and plan but not as simple to do for 8 weeks.

good luck

Good point.

Hey fausto...how many sets are you doing now a days?

I know you were thinking about bumping it up some on the volume end?

How are the results so far?

Jon, you may want to hit arms with an isolation movement. It really depends on your stage of trainin. If you're a beginner, stick to compounds only. If advanced and looking to add a bit to some lagging parts, use some isolations.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Why don't you do arm training regularly? Couldn't you do mass building excercises to build your arms maximally?</div>

Some of us find it conter-productive, however you are welcome to do it, use them after compounds then, like triceps extrensions afetr dips, curls after reverse grip chin ups. More productive that way, but the compounds provide all the growth you need really!

Joe

Currently doing 3 sets for 5's, next cycle I am bumping up the volume but dropping to twice weekly...family and job pressures
sad.gif

I see I'll have to me it almost like a 5 x 5 program, with only a few big exercises, then play catch up with isos's when time avails!
biggrin.gif

Results so far nothing to scream about, but the body is looking a whole lot more defined and I am not unhappy, I am bumping up the feeding but sometime struggle to put so much food down the gullet
laugh.gif
Fell like a goose being prepared for foi-gras
laugh.gif

Cheers

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Why don't you do arm training regularly? Couldn't you do mass building excercises to build your arms maximally? </div>
If you stick to the best compounds, your arms will b exposed to loads far higher than you can do with curls or any other isolation. That's what will give you big arms, really.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">cause on the training sample program in the main article they include arms.</div>
Well, it was just a sample. It just gave exercises people are familiar to so it won't look alien to them, and give them the idea that the program can be used for the entire body.

Now, Fausto on isos:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
you are welcome to do it, use them after compounds then, like triceps extrensions afetr dips, curls after reverse grip chin ups. More productive that way, but the compounds provide all the growth you need really!</div>
Yep, that's right on the money there, c/o Fausto. Smart dude, eh?
laugh.gif

During the &quot;olden&quot; times, there was a lot of debate on the forum about isos (the &quot;isos are cool but really no need for huge arms&quot; party versus &quot;isos are the ones that give you huge guns, not compounds&quot; party). I started a poll about it, and right from the beginning my stance never wavered: compounds are the ones that give you big arm (and overall body) growth. Isolations can be used supplementary to compounds, specifically to increase stretch if you want every bit of growth. If you don't want to bother with isos, you can do great just by sticking with the best compounds you can do, like squats, deads, bench, dips, chins.

Hope that helps you out.

Cheers
smile.gif

-JV

thanks for you help guys. I want to start training HST but i want to make sure i give it the best possible chance for success.
Is this program good for me to see how good HST really is? or is there another set up that would be more effective? (i've done lifting before so i'm not really new to lifting)

squats
stiff leg deads
incline bench
dips
chins
rows
shrugs
shoulder press
lateral raise
rear delt raise
DB Curls
Tri Extensions
Calve Raises
Ab crunches

Also when you guys talk about chins do you mean overhand grip (like lat pulldowns) or underhand grip (with palms facing you)?
Thanks a lot.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> when you guys talk about chins do you mean overhand grip (like lat pulldowns) or underhand grip (with palms facing you)?</div>
Usually, &quot;chins&quot; without any descriptors (i.e., narrow-grip or wide-grip) means wide-grip chins, so that means plams facing away from you like lat pulldowns. Whether you do narrow-grip or wide-grip chins depends on you, really. Some believe wide grip are better because it involves more muscles more effectively (better biceps involvement?). Some believe the opposite, that in fact narrrow-grip chins are better because they allow you to use greater loads.

I personally use wide-grip. I've just been so used to them for a few years already, I didn't feel it was necessary to change them to narrow grip.

Your routine looks ok. Many exercises, but since you aren't new to lifting at all, as long as you know you can handle them, then that's perfectly fine.

Good luck. Find your maxes, setup a nice progression, and you are all set to experience HST. Eat well and you definitely won't be disappointed.

Regards,
-JV

My opinion, A vs B routines.

A
squats
stiff leg deads
incline bench
chins
shrugs
shoulder press
DB Curls
Tri Extensions
Calve Raises
Ab crunches

B
deadlifts (proper)
dips
rows
shrugs
lateral raise
rear delt raise
DB Curls
Tri Extensions
Calve Raises
Ab crunches

Alternate this lot A/B/A and so forth...it will be more productive try to be in and out the gymn in 45 - 60 minutes.

I actually think i'm gonna try using mainly just compounds as you suggested earlier because i have been off of serious training for about a year and a half (due to events out of my control) and i think that doing that many excersises each workout would be a lot to start with. i'm now thinking of this routine.

Quads: Squats
Hamstrings: Leg Curls
Chest: Dips (i thought dips would be one of the best compound excercises for chest since i'm only doing 1. or is there another excersise that would be better)
Shoulders: Military Press
Back: Bent- over Rows
Calves: Calf Raises

Does this look like a good place for me to start?
also, since i'm only doing one excercise per bodypart i thought these would be the best for those muscles. If there are other excercises that you would reccomend instead i would appreciate it.

if i only do one excercise will i still get full development of the major muscle groups? (ex: upper chest if i'm only doing dips)
i'm thinking about leaving out specific arm training as you guys suggested and then i'll see how i like the results but i'm so used to trainin each muscle specifically so it might be hard for me not to train arms.

Hopefully this routine will let me see the real benefits of HST training.

Thanks.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">also i was thinking about shrugs for traps</div>
Yep, go for it. If you had deads, you can do the shrug on top of the movement - just pause a little, shrug it nicely (controlled), bring it down back to the deadlift's top movement, then finish the deadlift rep.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
Quads: Squats
Hamstrings: Leg Curls
Chest: Dips (i thought dips would be one of the best compound excercises for chest since i'm only doing 1. or is there another excersise that would be better)
Shoulders: Military Press
Back: Bent- over Rows
Calves: Calf Raises</div>
Just wondering... what happened to the chins you asked?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">also, since i'm only doing one excercise per bodypart i thought these would be the best for those muscles. If there are other excercises that you would reccomend instead i would appreciate it.</div>
Maybe - just maybe - you should try doing 2 sets when you reach the 10's and 5's. You have few exercises anyway, so that shouldn't bother you much except for big ones like squat and deads (you don't have deads,but that's ok).

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">i'm thinking about leaving out specific arm training as you guys suggested and then i'll see how i like the results but i'm so used to trainin each muscle specifically so it might be hard for me not to train arms.</div>
Then go train your arms. No harm in adding a set of curls and skullcrushers if it will make you more motivated to train or will make you enjoy training more. Do them right after a compound that hits the respective muscles the most.

You have two great ways to use arm isos in your routine.
1. Use them for additional stretch - choose the isolations that offer the most stretch - usually incline curls/ incline hammer curls and skullcrushers
2. Use them for additional metabollic work - especially when reps are low on the compounds (5's), do a set or two of 15's with your isos.

Can you combine the two? Sure, whatever floats your boat.

I hope that helps you out.

Regards,
-JV

We went thru the chinup debate last summer on another forum. Pulldowns are a pullup done on a machine, the pullups are done on a bar, with pronated (palms away) grip. The chinups, as taught by the military and schools over the globe are done with a bar and supinated grip (palms to the rear) and best done to the chest, with the head back and pelvis forward at the top. In other words, a FULL ROM, with the concentric end of the movement concentrated fully.

I switched to all narrow grips for a longer ROM and to get off the plateau of wide grip stuff these last 3 cycles and my lats have exploded out like wings. However...when I plateau on the narrow stuff, I'll switch again to wide. Nothing works forever. Hope this clears things up a bit.

Oh, and I've been using wieghted pullups and rows for the work sets and two burn sets afterwards using chinups.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I switched to all narrow grips for a longer ROM and to get off the plateau of wide grip stuff these last 3 cycles and my lats have exploded out like wings.</div>
Good to hear that! I've done wide grip pullups like forever and I recently switched to chinups to allow for a fuller ROM , hoping this will help my lats a bit.

I use a grip about ten inches or less apart, with the elbows close, for both the chins and pullups. I use the pullups for my main exersize, but started doing chins for burn sets at the end, but they've turned into a work set anyway, with just reps up to around 16 or so. I posted a pic of my lats on my other forum where people know me and all were blown away. It's not that narrow is better or wide for that matter, but CHANGING now and then when you plateau.
Don't beat a dead horse: he won't run.

I use a grip about ten inches or less apart, with the elbows close, for both the chins and pullups. I use the pullups for my main exersize, but started doing chins for burn sets at the end, but they've turned into a work set anyway, with just reps up to around 16 or so. I posted a pic of my lats on my other forum where people know me and all were blown away. It's not that narrow is better or wide for that matter, but CHANGING now and then when you plateau.
Don't beat a dead horse: he won't run.

OhmiGod! It worked!
Now I know how ta do it!
I'm 5'11&quot; @ 209lbs in this pic. Bulking right now, maybe a couple more weeks.

<div>
(jvroig @ Jul. 10 2006,03:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Just wondering... what happened to the chins you asked?</div>
I just thought the rows would be better for overall back development.

The hardest thing that i'm having trouble figuring out is how many excercises i should be doing in a workout.  Since i'm new to HST i just want to try and do one full body routine (no splits) all the way through and then as i'm more experienced i'll try and switch things and see what works best.  But i had read that 8-12 excercises is best, but then in the sample it has 14 excercises.  So if someone could help me out in figuring out how many excercises to do that would be great.  Thanks.

I've been off training for about a year and a half due to circumstances out of my control and then i plan to get my body used to training again for a few weeks and then try HST.  I don't know if this makes any difference in the number of excercises but i thought i'd mention it just in case. Thanks.

Back