seems so simple

Jon: When I did my first HST cycle I did 11 exercises. It was fine during 15s and 10s but took a while to complete during 5s (33 sets plus warmups and all the faffling about between exercises meant it took me an hour and a quarter to complete or more if the gym was busy). I did that for two cycles and then decided to drop a few of the isos. Now I am doing A and B w/os which I feel is the best yet.

So, try around 10 or 11 exercises for your first cycle. During 5s you could do 2 work sets for some of your exercises which would save some time if that's an issue.

Here's what I did:

1. Squats
2. Stiff-legged Deadlifts
3. Seated Rowing m/c
4. Bench Press
5. Parallel Grip Pulldowns / Chins on 5s
6. Dips (weighted)
7. Shrugs
8. Military Press
9. Standing Barbell Curls
10. Dumbell Triceps Extensions (or ez-curl bar)
11. Donkey Calf Raises alt. with
11. Seated Calf Raises

During 5s, as I've said, this is a fair bit of work. You will need to eat a lot!
biggrin.gif

Have a great cycle.

Thanks a lot.

i know i've been asking a lot of questions, it's just i'm really trying to figure out this HST stuff so i can make sure i do everything rite.

I was also wondering what the difference is between doing 1x15, 2x10, 3x5 (as Fausto recommended), and the 2x15, 2x10 and 5 (for the first weeks), 1x10 and 5 (for second weeks), (as recommended in the FAQ's). I understand that the first one keeps the volume the same and the other decreases, but which one is better for someone starting out and why? also which one gives better results?

thanks a lot.

Not much difference except some tweaking, meant to maximize the workout somewhat.

The bottomline in volume is that you do as much as you can but still be able to train frequently.

Recommended in the FAQ that you just do one set during the 2nd weeks of 10's and 5's - that's really more for noobs who aren't that good at gauging how much they can do. So since the weight is heavy enough (ergo needs less reps to be effective compared to lighter weights), you can just do one set - a "better safe than sorry" approach meant for beginners.

Keeping the reps constant throughout the cycle is simply a way to keep another factor of training constant, so you only have to worry about fewer variables.

Again, the bottomline is that you should really do as much as you can without sacrificing your ability to train frequently. If you know how to gauge yourself properly, then that's what you should do, even if it means doing just one set during heavy phases, or doing as much as 4 sets. Just gauge yourself well.

Regards,
-JV

Back