Sensation during 15's

I

imported_hangi24-7

Hey guys,
I'm halfway through the first week of my 15's. The weights I am using are really light so I do slow, controlled reps especially on the eccentric, and do static holds for about 10-20 seconds on nearly all my exercises.
This makes my muscles ache and burn like crazy! However, a few hours after working out, my muscles don't feel very sore, compared to the soreness during working out.
I am used to my muscles being much more sore afterwards, especially after what I perceived as a "good" workout.
Is this a normal occurence?

Don't worry, during the 15's DOMS may be perceived only after the first workout, as long as you are getting the burn then all is well.

If you have everything is set up correctly then you may get DOMS later but if you don't then don't sweat it. Concentrate more on the feeling of the muscle under the load, you should be able to feel the strain.

Thanks for the advice.

BTW, what does everybody think of incorporating static holds?

wow.gif
9-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (hangi24-7 @ June 16 2005,10
wow.gif
9)]Thanks for the advice.
BTW, what does everybody think of incorporating static holds?
hangi,
IMO static holds are a good way to induce stress by lengthening TUT.
But to be honest, I had my doubts about doing them during the 15s.
Because Dan didn't say anything referring to this, I'm not sure any longer.
Could anybody help me out? :confused:

Static holds can be useful it depends on how you are using them.

Let's look at things from two perspectives.

Anytime you subject the tissue to load there is going to be some compensation/adaptation. Be this a static or dynamic load.

The problem with heavy static loads (Supper Slow, Sisco) is there is no lengthening of the tissue. Lengthening movements have been proven to create more myofibril disruption (damage). This disruption is what causes the cacade of events related to hypertrophy signaling.

Static holds in a contracted position can up the lactate buildup causing some signaling.

Static holds in the lengthened position (static stretch) provide a good amount of stretch and disruption.

Ultimately you are better served, as a general practice, to use dynamic contractions which have the best of both worlds. An active lengthening and shortening.

Dan,
what you pointed out sounds all logical to me.
But what I don't understand is, if you generate some extra metabolic work during your 15s (repeat: 15s), there must be a point (a limit) as from your CNS is getting affected.
Assumed you are not that experienced (and you don't have a stess-o-meter  
laugh.gif
), how do you know when the burn is good enough, and not to overdo it?

Well in all honesty you won't know, within any accuracy.

But what you will know is that it burns, aches in the muscle itself. This is all that is needed and it doesn't necessarily coincide 100% with failure. Also just to point out that peripheral concentric failure is not the same as CNS failure. Low load high rep failure has more to do with a metabolite and enzyme ratio than the neural drive itself.

Now let's go back to static holds and look at what happens. During a static hold there is no pumping of the tissue therefore byproducts begin to build, these are the same byproducts that create the burn, so using a static hold can induce the same effect.

Now would they useful as the only tool in our arsenal? IMHO No, but to induce the collagen rebuilding effect Yes, to increase the respirative quality, IMHO No, due the effect of a one way system, in other words you are restricting flow out of the cell but without future contractions increasing the flow into the cell you do not increase the overall cell's capacity/efficiency to oxidize fuel.

So to answer your question, yes they are useful, but IMHO dynamic contraction provide the same collagen rebuilding effect but also increases in the oxidative capacity, something I can't see static holds doing.

Make sense? At least this is how I look at it and some may not agree.

Sorry for being a newbie, but what exactly is the difference between static holds in a contracted position compared to a lengthened position?

And what is a dynamic contraction?

Lengthened position means the muscle is stretched IE the bottom of a pec fly.

Contracted/Shortened means the muscle is contracted IE the top of a curl.

Dynamic means a contraction that is not a fixed position, there is movement.

Back