Set Up - Cluster Training

Rone

Hi everybody,

I need some help for setting up my next cycle.

I follow the vanilla hst for one year, and enjoyed the way it works and the systematic training.
But I think the definied rep ranges didn't work so good for me, so in my next cycle I want to cluster.

My plan is to start with 60% of 5RM, and increase the weight about 2,5% (of 5RM)
up to 100%. This would meen 17 trainings (which is very similar to 6x15 + 6x10 +6x5 - sets)
I red a lot in this forum about clustering, but there are still two questions I wasn't able to
answer for myself:
  1. What weight (in % of 1RM or 5RM) would you suggest to start with?
  2. What weight increase would you suggest between two trainings?
Thanks, Rone.

Rone,

In answer to both of your questions IMO is there is nothing wrong with starting at 60% of your 5 rep max and increasing by 2.5% per workout - this starts at approximately 50/51% of your 1rm assuming your 5rm is 85% of your 1rm - the vanilla HST routine would start at around 45-50% - are you intending on stopping short of failure on the first set (if so how many reps) and how long will the rest period between sets.

I plan to start with a volume of 32 at the first training and end with a volume of 10-15 at my last training in the cycle.
Reps: First set stop short before failure, second set stop short before failure,..... reaching the given volume.
I want to adjust the rest periods how my body feels like, but as short as possible. (but long enough ;))

Back