"Shock" the nervous system?

Rain

Hi,
I just recently found out about HST, so in that sense I am new to this particular method of training. But the more I read, the more I realize that I have been training in a way not to far from HST for quite a while, and that the HST principles are close to my own views on BB and strength training.

I have been using a different frequency, hitting every muscle 2 times per week instead of three, as HST advocates, but this has worked out great so far. Instead of doing a whole-body workout on one day, I split it up into two days, like this:

Mon: Chest, Back, Calves
Tue: Arms, Shoulders, Abs & Legs
Wed: Rest
Thu: Chest, Back, Calves
Fri : Arms, Shoulders, Abs & Legs

Rest on Saturday and Sunday.

I feel that the 2-day split gives me greater focus on every muscle group than if I would do the whole body on the same day. Also, when it comes to doing reps, I usually prepare for the "actual" reps by moving upwards in weight. This means that I, after doing warm-up, do 1's and 2's up to about 95% of my 1RM. I feel that this technique makes it possible for me to handle heavier weight (while still not going to failure) than I otherwise would. I may be able to handle 10-15 pounds more in each set doing it this way. I read an article about this way of training a couple of years ago and having been using it ever since.

Any thoughts on this?

Best regards,
R

If you plan on starting an HST cycle, then I recommend doing an upper/lower split since you seem comfortable with that format, but instead of doing a frequency of twice per week, up it to three times (meaning you'll need to lift wed and sat.) If that's too many days at the gym, then do the 3x/week standard format.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Also, when it comes to doing reps, I usually prepare for the "actual" reps by moving upwards in weight. This means that I, after doing warm-up, do 1's and 2's up to about 95% of my 1RM.

I'm not the most experienced HST-user, but I'd say you don't need to do a high%1RM after your warmup and before each exercise, especially not in the 15's when all you're looking for is that burn. I'm sure using this technique made your normal reps seem lighter since all is relative. That is something you would want to apply in what is call the negatives or post 5's at the end of your cycle since the load will be so high.

I hope my input helped.
butbut.gif

-Colby

Hello Rain :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]This means that I, after doing warm-up, do 1's and 2's up to about 95% of my 1RM.

If I understood that correctly, your 1's and 2's are like another warm up after your warm, before you actually train with the actual weight loads.

Are you using progressive load?

Actually, it might not matter so much. Because of your secondary warm up of 1's and 2's, your RBE might be way ahead of you. Yes, as you continue doing that workout after workout, the lighter weights (50-65% of your 1RM) you perhaps use as your real workload after you do all your warm up (including the 1's and 2's up to 95% of your 1RM) will feel less of a challenge not because your warm up is perfect but because your muscles have adapted to loads quite near your 1RM. That means your "actual workload" which you use after the 1's and 2's, are practically ineffective already unless they are also very very close to your 1RM.

If you wish to start HST, I would advise you to stop the 1's and 2's warm-up. I'm not familiar with that kind of warm-up, but unless someone here tells you otherwise for good reason, drop it.

Then do the standard HST routine presented for HST beginners, but still keeping your split routine that you are accustomed to. And don't worry, for anything else you might need, the forum is always full of HST users who are willing to share whatever they know or their experience if it will help. Understanding the HST principles might be a little hard and confusing at first, but like I said, many people here will gladly help you out.

Regards, and good luck! :)
-JV

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I'll try to boil down my present program to one I am able to do 3 times a week, to see if it makes any difference. I can only train once a day, though, and no more than about an hour, so we'll see how it goes.

About the 1's & 2's after the warmup: it is not so much a secondary warmup as a way to make the muscles get used to a heavier load. For me, this also has a psychological effect since it makes the weight seem lighter. However, I'll consider dropping it (or save it for the heavy part of the cycle) when trying HST.

By the way, would you mind explaining what RBE stands for? I've been training for a long time, but I'm swedish :) , so I haven't got all the abbreviations down yet...

Regards,
R

Back