Simple Fullbody Split Routine - am I missing something?

Weeqay

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to this forum, though I've been a silent reader for quite some time.
I have experimented with HST for quite some time and found that I have difficulties doing the 5s as the weights get really heavy at the end of my cycle, to which I was not accustomed when I started HST...also, I don't have a spotter to help me on my bad days...yeah, they exist, especially on Fridays I tend to be in horrible shape..:(
Anyway..I have been training using drop sets for the last couple of weeks aiming for reps around 5/6->7/8->8/9 for most of my compounds in the hope of getting used to heavy 5s and so far I feel good...with one exception..my sessions are getting increasingly long..my menu is a full body work out on M/W/F or S

Squats/Deadlifts (on Mondays and Fridays..I leave them out on Wednesdays..otherwise they would kill me)
Benchpress
Weighted Chins
Weighted Dips
Seated Rows
Shoulder Press
3 sets of Abs (though I probably don't need them..habit..)

Now I've been thinking of splitting this workout cleanly into two..This would leave me with

A
Squats/Deads
Benchpress
Weighted Chins
Shoulder Press

B
Weighted Dips
Seated Rows
Shoulder Press

(and Abs respectively)

which seems awfully little...now I have had a look at the simplify and win thread and the routines suggested there (e.g. by fausto or lol) are not so very different from what I got here..still, before actually switching and starting this new routine, I was wondering if there is something you guys think I should add or if there's a muscle group I'm missing..I was thinking of maybe adding shrugs or calves? But then again I'm unsure as to whether I should add them to B only of to A as well? OR split them up?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

sounds like you might be burning out by Friday so cutting your workouts back might do wonders for you.

I take it you alternate Squats and Deadlifts doing one of them on Monday and one on Friday?

Workout A looks pretty good.

For workout B you could substitute incline bench for the shoulder press for a bit of variety.

You could also add leg press to workout B if you wanted something for legs, although sometimes it is good to take it easy on one of your training days so the three exercises might be enough for you

thanks for your answer :)

sounds like you might be burning out by Friday so cutting your workouts back might do wonders for you.
i sure hope it does..fridays are always more than just a pain in the a.. -.-

I take it you alternate Squats and Deadlifts doing one of them on Monday and one on Friday?
yupp exactly :)

Workout A looks pretty good.

For workout B you could substitute incline bench for the shoulder press for a bit of variety.

You could also add leg press to workout B if you wanted something for legs, although sometimes it is good to take it easy on one of your training days so the three exercises might be enough for you

thanks for the input; i was thinking of doing another chest exercise but figured i'd stick with one exercise per major muscle group for now and see how it goes..
also my legs are pretty well-developed already..and the leg press machine we have in our studio doesn't really help very much any more and the 45° press is usually in use :(

i tried workout a as is and b with bent-over rows instead of seated cable rows and shrugs/calves with dumbbells instead of the shoulder press..felt good so far..should fit in nicely, i think?

one question that popped up though..i did my shoulder press standing with dumbbells and i fear rather sooner than later i won't be able to safely handle the weights...is there some trick to bringing the dumbbells up or should i rather switch to using a barbell?

so long :)

Yeah adding calves in on B is probably good, if you want to hit your shoulders a bit on workout B incline press will do that although people say that Dips are the best chest exercise.

Instead of switching to barbell you could switch to do doing your shoulder presses seated with back support than flick the dumbbells up to your shoulder off your knees, however standing shoulder presses will work more muscles but if targeting your shoulders is all you are concerned about than seated will be fine.

hm i think i'll do the standing press then...sounds more favorable..i'll give incline press a shot and see how i feel about it, thanks again :)

Back