Single Factor Training

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]

are you saying it takes longer or lasts longer?

Takes longer to aquire. But goes away faster

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
? No, they get into the hypertropy straight after one session, its just not possible to measure it (unless your getting into isotope labelling and muscle samples which are not conductive to chronic studies).

Misunderstanding again...
The stage where hypertrophy is the primary means of strength increase is after a period of learning.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Whens the begineer stage? I have squatted heaps over the past 15 years, I have added no mass in the past 6months or so, but have added to my squat quite significantly

If you read a lot of this stuff, like Komi and Enoka, Siff, etc. For some odd reason, the largest percentage of strength comes from neural coordination for beginners, then intermediates find it from hypertrophy, then advanced seems to gain slower but most is from neural and coordination fine tuning.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
except activation doesnt show co-ordination.

Exactly. That's why I wanted to throw it out, then all your left with is hypertrophy. Unless one is competing, just gaining strength isn't as important.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
If thats the one I remember, they pointed out hypertrophy as a potential candidate. Most likely one at the utmost limit, but not the only factor.

It's about all that's left.
You have coordination/neural and you have physical hypertrophic changes. Without significant hypertrophy, all you have is a way to display more strength through coordination of the lift.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (NWlifter @ Oct. 08 2005,6:49)]Takes longer to aquire. But goes away faster
but when you say
the learning time for complex movements lasts longer doesnt exactly make it clear.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
If you read a lot of this stuff, like Komi and Enoka, Siff, etc. For some odd reason, the largest percentage of strength comes from neural coordination for beginners, then intermediates find it from hypertrophy, then advanced seems to gain slower but most is from neural and coordination fine tuning.
but advanced cannot improve neural or hypertrophy, so your at a limit on both ends. ;)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Exactly. That's why I wanted to throw it out, then all your left with is hypertrophy. Unless one is competing, just gaining strength isn't as important.
I wonder why I said getting bigger is the easiest way to get stronger :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]but when you say
the learning time for complex movements lasts longer doesnt exactly make it clear.

I can't argue with that, since it took us 2 days to get that straightened out LOL

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
but advanced cannot improve neural or hypertrophy, so your at a limit on both ends.

Limited, but yes advanced can increase neural and hypertrophy, just to a lesser extent. There is always a neural component to strength but not always a hypertrophic component.
Neural/Coordination seems to ramp downward
Hypertrophy seems to ramp up then down

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
I wonder why I said getting bigger is the easiest way to get stronger

Ummm... I dunno LOL ;)

The TI studies might be wrong (they might not use electro stimulation with enough 'power') ! Apparently it's possible to induce SUPER HIGH INTENSITY contraction with compex machines.

Contractions which are so intense that even people who can squat 150-200kg could barely resist to the pain induced and others people had to maintain the legs bend to avoid knee injury.

Compex can go up to 150hz !

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Compex can go up to 150hz

Monkey wrench though... in humans, force maxes out around 60hz. If you look at rate coding/force graphs, the increases from 60hz on up is so close to zero it's almost immeasurable.

Now in animals, their muscular force increases as the frequency goes up, even beyond 100hz.

Ron

You should try one of thoses compex machines to see if you can really have such contractions volontary. Don't forget that with external stimulation the inihbition is 0 you can use maximum force !

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Actarus @ Oct. 09 2005,4:51)]You should try one of thoses compex machines to see if you can really have such contractions volontary. Don't forget that with external stimulation the inihbition is 0 you can use maximum force !
True, that's where some of the differences come in, with inhibition. Especially with compound movements.

OK....I've got another strategy question for you guys that have run Single Factor before.....

On Friday I got 215 for 3, however today (Monday) I was supposed to get it for 5 and only got 3.

Do you think I should raise the weight for my set of 3 reps on Friday anyway? Or just stay with the 215 until I can get it for 5 on a Monday?

I was thinking about trying to get 220 for 3 instead of my usual 10 lb. jump.

What do you guys think my strategy should be?

Joe G

Back