slowing down reps

<div>
(bgates1654 @ Jul. 10 2007,21:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I thought motor unit firing was an ON/OFF kind of thing. What does fully activate mean?</div>
Fully = all

<div>
(bgates1654 @ Jul. 10 2007,21:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I thought motor unit firing was an ON/OFF kind of thing. What does fully activate mean?</div>
Bill,

Yes MU are either on or off, but even though the MU may be on, the firing frequency may not be high enough to cause fused tetany. This is where the firing frequency is so high that the individual pulses blur into one single longer pulse. It's only at this time that the fibers in the MU are fully activated.

This sequence is in a ranked order, with the lower threshold MUs acheiving it first. A threshold is the minimum firing frequency that is necessary to turn the MU on. As the load is increased and more MU come to play they always start at their lowest frequency (threshold) and advance upwards.

<div>
(Dan Moore @ Jul. 11 2007,07:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
Bill,

Yes MU are either on or off, but even though the MU may be on, the firing frequency may not be high enough to cause fused tetany. This is where the firing frequency is so high that the individual pulses blur into one single longer pulse. It's only at this time that the fibers in the MU are fully activated.

This sequence is in a ranked order, with the lower threshold MUs acheiving it first. A threshold is the minimum firing frequency that is necessary to turn the MU on. As the load is increased and more MU come to play they always start at their lowest frequency (threshold) and advance upwards.</div>
translation=lift heavy stuff and lift it as fast as you can.
wink.gif

heyhey, interesting discussion. so is what Dan's saying, lift things faster? or lift heavy things faster? I'm not sure i understand it properly. I sort of figured that as loads are increased, MUs are activated in a certain order. But in terms of hypertrophy, what is needed? or do MUs not even have a hand in hypertrophy, are they just more an activating muscle tension system?

This is interesting: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites....y_hl=41

It's regarding the speed of contractions and their effect on hypertrophy. It concludes that FASTER eccentrics/negatives are better (produce more growth) than faster AND slower concentrics (along with other results)

Im a little bit confuse. Till now i used to go down with the bar very slowly (something like 3 seconds) and push the bar up explosivly. So is that wrong?

Back