small increments vs. repeating workouts

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jdreich @ Feb. 26 2003,12:56)]Man! If I see you out there I'm gonna hit you with those (blue) 5lb. DBs!
laugh.gif
Bring it on! I live in outback australia. When you get off the plane at Sydney get in a taxi/cab and ask to go to the outback. Be sure to pack plenty of proetin shakes. When you get there tell the driver to take the first left after the gum tree shaped like a dingo, follow the dried up river bed for 2 miles then hang a right when you see a pregnant kangaroo who lives with 'ol' man Jack'. You will recognise him by his cork hat and dry wit. Now continue until you hit a fork in the road...well actually there is no road as such but there is a fork..an actual dinner fork that was left behind by the first aboriginal who was asked to use it and threw it away in disgust. Behind that is a ..................
Look forward to seeing ya, mate!

Keebler Elf,

I live in Santiago, Chile, so we are a long way off, although I (and my wife) would love to go to Australia. I have very close relatives there (Sydney and some other city that I don't remember) :)

Saludos from Chile,

JD

Im not really in the outback, I'm a city folk, Adelaide...it's a samll city tho, I can run from one side of the metro to the other in 5 minutes
laugh.gif

I love Chile...especially with sour cream and chives on top ;)

hey i got a problem with increments too.. i'm planning to use inclined curls.. but then increments from my 15s to 10s to 5s are pretty low... therefore, there's going to be much zig zagging... any advice? :D
worship.gif

What about for 6x a week training? What do you do since you have to make twice the increments? For example if my 15RM for leg curls is 75 which of these options would be best?

1:
15, 25, 25, 35, 35, 45, 45, 55, 55, 65, 65, 75
2:
25, 25, 25, 35, 35, 45, 45, 55, 55, 65, 65, 75
3:
25, 25, 35, 35, 45, 45, 55, 55, 65, 65, 75, 75
4:
20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75
5:
45, 50, 50, 55, 55, 60, 60, 65, 65, 70, 70, 75

or some progression?

What is best for 6x a week? Larger increments, constant progression?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (skinnyman @ Feb. 02 2005,5:22)]hey i got a problem with increments too.. i'm planning to use inclined curls.. but then increments from my 15s to 10s to 5s are pretty low... therefore, there's going to be much zig zagging... any advice? :D
worship.gif
repeat the weight

mport1, no. 3 get's my vote
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ Feb. 27 2005,8:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (skinnyman @ Feb. 02 2005,5:22)]hey i got a problem with increments too.. i'm planning to use inclined curls.. but then increments from my 15s to 10s to 5s are pretty low... therefore, there's going to be much zig zagging... any advice? :D
worship.gif
repeat the weight
mport1, no. 3 get's my vote
thumbs-up.gif
So it's alright to repeat my maxes for 2 days for each exercise? It won't lead to overtraining? And it's fine to do more than 5% increments? Thanks for your help.

Actual overtraining is rarely acheived through weight lifting, it's more of an over reaching effect. Sustained long repeated durations of endurance lead to overtraining much more so than weight lifting. So yeah repeting maxes is fine.

Increments are fine also. The 5% to 10% is an estimate there isn't any studies, that I can fine, that dictate the best increment interval. The main idea is to increment in a fashion that adds enough stimulus to stay ahead of RBE. On larger muscle this can 15 to 20% it depends on how many you apply the increment in each cycle also.

Back