Smith Machine for Incline Bench

bosbik

Hi!

I just want to ask if it's alright to use the smith machine to do an incline bench press?

the gym I'm currently at does have a fixed incline bench but the incline is too high and hits my shoulders more.. it's inclined at about 30 degrees..
sad.gif

thanks

I would quit using it the moment I experienced ANY pains in the shoulders. It's not as good as bench anyway, regardless of it's impending problems. Do a search and you'll find a few advocates of smiths, and many antagonists, often with injuries, or just less hypertrophy.
Can you grow on them? Yes.

I'd prefer to incline a flat bench the the angle I wanted, and use DB's.

I'd rather use a 30 degree incline bench than the smith machine. As a matter of fact the incline benches at the gym I go to are all 45 degrees.

If it's a choice between too high of an incline or a smith machine, I'd have to go with flat bench.

thanks guys...thanks for the input..if I go for the flat bench what could I do to work my upper pecs?

smile.gif

I've switched to flat bench this cycle from doing incline last cycle, and no noticed no decrease in my upper chest mass. I would think flat would still hit your upper somewhat, and enough to still get gains up there.

<div>
(bosbik @ Jul. 30 2007,09:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">thanks guys...thanks for the input..if I go for the flat bench what could I do to work my upper pecs?

smile.gif
</div>
Inclined DB presses. The best.

IMO Smith Machine & pre-locked Incline benches have too high of an angle. At my gym, they're at like a 45-60 degree angle and I think that for most people, that puts a lot of tension the shoulders.

I personally use the adjustable benches, and set them to 30 degrees whilst using dumbbells for my incline bench. Haven't looked back, have gotten great gains in my chest.

Back