smith machine or classic barbell

paowiee

hi guys i'm considering adding flat bench press for my chest exercise as I have been using dumbbells for too long i guess.

problem is, i do not have a training partner...no one would be there to spot me just in case something happens...but then there's the smith machine ...

how will smith machine presses (the one with the locks so as to avoid the bar from crushing you haha) affect my chest development? will it be significantly lower than when I do the classic bench press instead?

Freeweights help develop the stabilizing muscles better but machines allow you to use more weight without risk of injury when you do not have a training partner. If you don't want to use dumbells anymore, switch between freeweights and the Smith Machine to get the benefits of both. My first preference is dumbells but sometimes the weights are just too heavy to get in position, especially on incline benches. Then I switch to the Smith Machine.

I agree with o&g.. Try do do dumbell presses. And when the load is becoming too heavy switch to the smith.. it will be safer.

In any case I suggest you use the smith machine only when safety is a concern, as it is not very good for the joint because the movements are not natural - squat for instance.

thanks guys :) i'll be doing dumbbells instead...i think it is not a good idea to leave my stabilizing muscles behind :)

Fellow Lifter's , being a mature lifter I would just like to comment on the Smith Machine. The SM bench press is a movement along with any full range movement on this device that has a very high degree of possibility of permently causing damage to the joints/ligaments of the body. The pathway of the benchpress when the lifter is pushing up from the chest on the ascent the bar travels upward and arcs during this movement towards the head; on the decending path the bar travels downward in a straight line but not exactly verticle, the bar has some degree of movement towards the bottom of the pectoral line. That point being the body does not move in a straight line and that is why this contraption is only good for short movements such as, lock outs, calf raise, partial lifts. Just my nickle's worth. Rob.

any lift has the ability to cause damage

smiths machine is just one of these, when used as a part of an overall program, there is nothing wrong with them.

No,

there is potentally more chance of injury, but as long as loading increases over time, absolute hypertrophy should be within the same area.

Back