Source Of Protein

Tom Treutlein

Does the source of protein in one's diet really matter? If you had 130 grams of protein from steak, tuna, milk and whey, but another 50-60 from almonds, oats, ANPB and bread, would it still count?

Now, I know it actually would count, but if such an amount (50-60 grams) let's say, is counted towards your 1g/lb. for a day, would that be viable?

protein counts as protein. However some proteins are of "lesser quality," meaning, they are lower or lacking in certain amino acids. Grains belong in this category. As long as you are getting sufficient amounts of protein, especially with a lot from milk, meat, fish, etc... you don't have to worry too much about amino acid content. As Bryan says, you can substitute quantity for quality.

Ah. I figured that would be the answer. Something along those lines, anyways. Thanks BoSox.

Also, I do know that certain proteins aren't as bioavailable - your body won't uptake as much from some sources as it will others. Still, that's a moot point, since as long as you have sufficient meats and dairy in your diet, you should be fine anyway.

Back