Starting HST

I don't use a belt except for heavy shrugs.
You see how quick the loads felt heavy? The really cool thing is, you may think you're about to the end of your rope and along come these PR's, week after week. Too bad you have to interrupt training, but oftentimes, it's a good thing and you come back even stronger.

Yeah, I'll be back in gear on Saturday. I guess I could try and claim that I'll work out while in Vegas, but who are we kidding??

I appreciate the support Quad. I have been happier with this routine than anything I've ever done. I started nearly 4 weeks ago, I had been working out for 5 months solid prior to switching to HST. The only thing I've changed in the last 4 weeks is my workout. Same diet, same amount of cardio, etc. I have dropped from a size 36 pant to a size 34. I haven't been there since I was 22, 9 years ago. I am much more muscular and feel like I am seeing changes, for the positive, in my body every single day. I took some before pictures and I might take some after pictures and post them at some point. Pretty amazing results. I am ready to start setting some PRs!

<div>
(rattle104 @ May 06 2008,4:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Do you all use a belt or not when doing heavy weight deadlifts and/or squats?</div>
I use a belt when I'm shooting for PRs, but not for regular workouts.

I got back in town. Didn't eat right. Drank way too much. Barely got any sleep.

Saturday's workout was subpar. I was tired and my body was still hungover and jet lagged.

However, since I guesstimated my 5 rep maxes on deadlifts and squats (I just started doing them for the first time about two months ago) I am setting PRs om those two exercises every session since I am halfway through my 5's. I plan to keep doing 5's until I go two workouts without being able to move up any weight at all in my five core exercises. At that point I will SD for 10 days or so and then start all over. My next cycle should be mush smoother since this time I will understand what I am doing, for the most part.

Saturday's Workout:
Back Squats: 1x8x135 2x5x230
Deadlifts: 2x5x275
Bent Over Rows: 3x5x175
Push Press:1x5x105
Bench: 1x5x190

You've got it right bro. But as for the weekends, you gonna play; you gonna pay.
wow.gif

Today's workout was good though I made the decision to reduce the weight on my back squats because I felt like as my weight had gotten above 200 that I wasn't going down deep enough. I reduced my weight to 205 and did full ATG.

Today's Workout:
ATG Back Squats 2x5x205
Bent Over Row 2x5x180
Seated Overhead Press 2x5x105 1x5x115
Bench 3x5x195 1x3x205
Seated Dumbbell Curls 2x8x37.5/arm
Chins 1x6xbodyweight

Today's workout was really good. I felt great. I am to the point in my 5's where almost every exercise on every day is a new PR, especially considering I just really started lifting weights a few months ago.

Workout:
Deadlifts 2x5x285
Power Shrugs 2x5x285
Push Press 3x5x115
Bench 2x5x205
Seated Cable Row 2x5x180
Seated Lateral Raise 2x5x30/arm
Dips 3x5x45
Straight Bar Curls 2x5x105 1x20x105MS

Good workout. I am at my 5 rep maxes on some lifts and not on others. As I stated earlier, I plan to continue 5's until I go 2 workouts without progressing on any lifts. Then I will go on a 2 week SD, I think I'll need it since I figure this method could end up giving me 4+ weeks in the 5's!

Workout:
ATG Back Squat: 3x5x205 Oddly enough, each set got easier than the last
Bent Over Rows 2x5x185 MAX
Push Press 2x5x120 I got the first 3 on the first set with strict military press but had to go to push press on last two reps and the entire last set
Seated Military Press 1x5x55/arm
Dips 1x10xbw 3x5x45 MAX
Chins 1x5x45 MAX
Pullups 3x5x10 MAX
Seated Cable Row 2x5x180

I still have room to grow in squats, deadlifts, bench, and push press. I should be able to progress on the other exercises that I'm currently maxed by the end of next week. I plan to surpass 5 reps over 300 on my deadlifts on Friday next week. Should be fun!

After yesterdays workout my body was wasted. Not the usual feeling of tiredness or even fatigue but a word feeling where my entire body felt completely rundown. I felt tired all over. I ran a half marathon a couple of years ago and i felt like i did after finishing that race. I was so worn out, i could hardly get off the couch to go to the bathroom. Is this normal? Is this what you all refer to when you talk about stressing your CNS? I was hopeing to do another 2 weeks of 5's at very high weight, is this adviseable? I don't workout until Monday so I think i'll be recovered by then.

Not good! I am going to be forced by the doctors to SD earlier than planned. Yesterdays workout was good until the very last exercise.
sad.gif

I was feeling good and doing weighted dips. My previous PR was 45 lbs but I decided to give 55 lbs a go. I was on my 4th rep and I guess I went too low. I heard and felt a &quot;pop&quot; and then some pain in my sternum. I stopped my workout, it was over anyways, and went back to work. I workout during my lunch break at work. There was some tightness and a little pain at first but it got worse and by three hours afterwards I was in a lot of pain. It hurts to breath heavt, it hurts to laugh, it hurts to cough.....It just hurts....

I went to a doc in the box since I couldn't see my orthopedic doctor until today. No punctured lung or anything like that. The doc in the box told me that I'd dislocated a rib. Has anyone ever heard of that? I haven't. I am going to a real doctor today and I should get a better diagnosis.

It looks like I will not be able to lift for a awhile. May be longer than 2 weeks!

Workout:
Deadlifts 1x8x135 1x6x225 2x5x295
Shrugs 2x5x295
Bent Over Rows 3x5x190
Push Press 2x5x125
Dips 1x10xbw 2x5x45 1x4x55

Back from the orthopedist. I did pop a rib out of place. Popped out of the cartilage and then back in place but it tore tendons, cartilage, etc. Nothing they can do but dope me up and have me avoid any pushing exercises. I think I'm going to continue my cycle with exercises that I am able to do since I was getting so close to the end and I will not be able to do any chest for at least 4 weeks. I don't want to SD for 4 weeks so I'll focus on legs and possibly back if I am able.

Hard luck rattle, don't push it to hard to complete ya cycle, you might do more damage than good.
You've sounded on last couple of post's that ya were ready to sd, perhaps this is as god a time as any.  Then come back afterwards now ya've got a settled workout plan, and pick some momentum up thru the 15's and 10's ready to get some serious results in the 5's!!

Back