Starting over with "vanilla" HST.

<div>
(mikeynov @ Jun. 04 2009,12:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Just as a weird question, are you sure you guys aren't treating a high bar squat like a low bar squat, i.e. emphasizing sitting back and so forth?  The knees will have to travel forward quite a bit to balance properly at the bottom (sort of like, but not as extreme as, a front squat).</div>
In my case I just find putting the bar on my back causes more forward lean in my torso and therefore more stress on my lower back. High bar position causes a stinging sensation around the upper spine. Front squats allow my torso to remain more upright and place the stress on my quads instead of lower back. It took a while to find a semi-comfortable spot to hold the bar on the frontal delts, but I'm totally used to it now. I just think it is structural because I have plenty of friends who squat in comfort and can't stand front squats. Take a guy like Tom Platz ... absolutely built to squat with perfect form. He was one heck of a squatter back in the 70s before he got big.

Back