Starting Strength DVD

EL_VIEJO

For anyone interested Mark Rippetoe has just published a 2 1/2 hr. DVD of Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training. Check the Strengthmill forum for details.

<div>
(Lol @ Mar. 03 2009,8:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you're quick you may get the $5 discount.</div>
I ordered mine. Got the $5 discount, too!
smile.gif

<div>
(Lol @ Mar. 03 2009,8:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Cheers El-viejo. Mine's on its way. This is great value. Only $25.94 delivered to the UK.

Go here:

http://www.aasgaardco.com/store/store.php?crn=210

If you're quick you may get the $5 discount.</div>
I'm particularly interested in your reaction to two things, based on prior conversation:

1) Speed of descent in squats (tee hee)

2) Starting height of hips to have the bar over midfoot and the shoulder blades actually over the bar. I.e. I think the &quot;proper&quot; deadlift position, mechanically speaking, is higher than a lot of form enthusiasts realize.

<div>
(mikeynov @ Mar. 04 2009,8:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Lol @ Mar. 03 2009,8:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Cheers El-viejo. Mine's on its way. This is great value. Only $25.94 delivered to the UK.

Go here:

I'm particularly interested in your reaction to two things, based on prior conversation:

2) Starting height of hips to have the bar over midfoot and the shoulder blades actually over the bar.   I.e. I think the &quot;proper&quot; deadlift position, mechanically speaking, is higher than a lot of form enthusiasts realize.</div>
1) Yeah. But I bet the vid will be showing form with pansy weights. I hope that's not the case (seeing this is coach Ripp's vid), but that's what tends to happen for video shoots. I guess it makes it easier to do multiple takes. It would be good to see the same guy lifting around a 15RM load and around a 3RM load, with a few others in between to see how his form/speed varies with load.

2) Again, yeah. Ripp suggests (in SS - the book) that those who set up with the hips too low tend to raise the hips at the start of the lift anyway, in order to get into the mechanically most efficient position to pull. I wonder if the vid will show how the start position varies in lifters of different heights and proportions. That's probably expecting too much.

<div>
(Lol @ Mar. 04 2009,10:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(mikeynov @ Mar. 04 2009,8:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>

Go here:

2) Starting height of hips to have the bar over midfoot and the shoulder blades actually over the bar.   I.e. I think the &quot;proper&quot; deadlift position, mechanically speaking, is higher than a lot of form enthusiasts realize.</div>
1) Yeah. But I bet the vid will be showing form with pansy weights. I hope that's not the case (seeing this is coach Ripp's vid), but that's what tends to happen for video shoots. I guess it makes it easier to do multiple takes. It would be good to see the same guy lifting around a 15RM load and around a 3RM load, with a few others in between to see how his form/speed varies with load.

2) Again, yeah. Ripp suggests (in SS - the book) that those who set up with the hips too low tend to raise the hips at the start of the lift anyway, in order to get into the mechanically most efficient position to pull. I wonder if the vid will show how the start position varies in lifters of different heights and proportions. That's probably expecting too much.</div>
Ahh, didn't realize you didn't have it.

They do have lifters of different proportions, men and women both, and you get to see them warm up to work sets of 5 for all of the lifts. Not necessarily &quot;ZOMG!!HARD!&quot; sets of 5, but medium-heavy for most people. So it's a pretty good range.

In that context, I think you're going to be surprised by how fast the average trainee under Rip drops down in his squats.

Also, in terms of deadlifts, when you actually SEE him coach it, most people's form looks a lot closer to that one video I showed you (which you called a DL/SLDL hybrid) than the hips lower style people are used to seeing.

It's an interesting combination, really. I'd love to discuss more of the particulars of his recommendations with you, but I want you to see it first, obviously
smile.gif

<div>
(mikeynov @ Mar. 05 2009,4:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'd love to discuss more of the particulars of his recommendations with you, but I want you to see it first, obviously
smile.gif
</div>
Come on Mr. Postman!

I received mine yesterday and watched the squat and press section. There are some heavy sets in there. One set of press is a fail on the 5th rep. Some of the older, less in shape trainees really struggle on some of their squat sets.

One thing I noticed was that Ripp is pretty tolerant of minor form mistakes in the squat. In the video, if they have any kind of hip drive its good enough. Its not a complaint but I know some of the things that some of the trainees are doing will limit the amount of weight they can squat based on my experience. I would have liked to have seen him coach someone to near perfect form or at least discuss it. One thing it did tell is that my squat form is good enough for Ripp.

<div>
(bgates1654 @ Mar. 05 2009,3:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I received mine yesterday and watched the squat and press section. There are some heavy sets in there. One set of press is a fail on the 5th rep. Some of the older, less in shape trainees really struggle on some of their squat sets.

One thing I noticed was that Ripp is pretty tolerant of minor form mistakes in the squat. In the video, if they have any kind of hip drive its good enough. Its not a complaint but I know some of the things that some of the trainees are doing will limit the amount of weight they can squat based on my experience. I would have liked to have seen him coach someone to near perfect form or at least discuss it. One thing it did tell is that my squat form is good enough for Ripp.</div>
Thanks bg. That all sounds very promising.

I suppose it's best to remember that it's entitled 'Starting Strength' and not &quot;An Advanced Guide To Lifting Technique.&quot;

As long as someone gets off to a good start, without any obviously bad/dangerous faults in their technique, they should be able to work on the details as they progress. That must be where Ripp is coming from.

If guess if you want/need more advice you can always post on the Strength Mill forum or pop along to Wichita Falls and pay him a visit.

I'm now of the belief that really good squat form can take a long time to develop and fine tune.

<div>
(bgates1654 @ Mar. 05 2009,10:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I received mine yesterday and watched the squat and press section. There are some heavy sets in there. One set of press is a fail on the 5th rep. Some of the older, less in shape trainees really struggle on some of their squat sets.

One thing I noticed was that Ripp is pretty tolerant of minor form mistakes in the squat. In the video, if they have any kind of hip drive its good enough. Its not a complaint but I know some of the things that some of the trainees are doing will limit the amount of weight they can squat based on my experience. I would have liked to have seen him coach someone to near perfect form or at least discuss it. One thing it did tell is that my squat form is good enough for Ripp.</div>
Just out of curiosity, what were some of your specific complaints?

Back