Strategic Reconditioning

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I would ask you to read, comprehend, then post, but you seem to have an aversion to comprehending, denigrating it as &quot;nerdy.&quot; </div>

Yep quite right there. But we couold get very, very simple, so that non-nerds like RD can get to grasps with it, BTW I am honored to be called a nerd, never thought of myself like it before but since research is the way to proove things it is the way to go as far as i am concerned!

Here's a simple explanation:

Strategic deconditioning - a temporary abstinence of training in this case &quot;loading with weights&quot; so as to decondition the muscle cells, muscle cells tend to get the repeated bout effect, where a specific load stops causing hypertrophy after a determined period of time.

And a slight better explanation - Jules on pimping HST for tweaking techniques.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">3.3.5 Mismanaged RBE.
Anytime you increase mechanical strain (by stretch, load, volume, modality techniques), you'll increase the remodeling effect. Should a person, then, be doing drop sets or stretch-point movements or even plain vanilla isolation movements during 15s . . . right after they deconditioned for ~2 weeks?

Probably not. In insisting on adding a whole slew of exercises, and then having to do with the limited load choices for many highly effective isolation movements, people accelerate RBE for a little bit more of growth. Unless the isolation movement is your primary movement for bodypart (i.e. leg curl), I think people should wait until 10s to add them.

You can set up a more linear load progression this way as well. Although it can be argued that perhaps the first few workouts may not have a degree of strain higher than the matching compound movement, and thus offer only a volume-redundant loading effect, well what's wrong with that?

Just as 15s ingratiates you to your core workout, 10s helps you mentally set up for the weird techniques you'll be doing with the isolation movements. By the mid-10s or beginning of 5s, the stretch-point movements, not the compound movements, will become the primary disruptors for the target bodyparts. This is where the specialization really begins.</div>

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">To say that SD does not work or that there is no relevant science behind it is untrue, it comes down to when it should be applied and for how long, that's all.</div>
Exactly. No question that SD does revert (to a certain extent) some of the processes which happen during extended periods of training (RBE being one of them). You can find many studies backing this up. But how much we should SD in order to ensure appropriate reversal depends on so many factors (lifting experience, age etc.) that it is impossible to give a definitive answer. How long can we go on without starting to lose precious muscle mass? Again this depends on a lot of factors. Sadly, the processes happening at the molecular level (during SD) cannot be directly observed with our naked eyes. So, we can only make an educated &quot;guess&quot;, depending on what kind of stimulus has been applied so far on the muscle tissue.

The &quot;one-size-fits-all&quot; sample HST program advises to &quot;SD for 9-14 days every 8 weeks&quot; because that's what will work rather well for a lot of people. In my opinion, this is an empirical result that has been demonstrated to be effective in practice.

Again, no question that SD has a valid scientific base. Bryan never said that &quot;Eveyone should SD for x days after y weeks of training&quot;. Knowing this, we have to apply common sense to our training. We are all after gaining muscle, so why stop and SD if you are gaining and your joints are fine and all is well with the world? If you feel that your gains have stopped to a crawl, then it's probably time to hit the &quot;reset&quot; button, i.e. SD. For how long? The &quot;rule of thumb&quot; says 9-14 days, depending on what you have been doing. 9 days is probably fine if you have only done 2 weeks of 5's. If you have gone gone a lot heavier than that (for example 4 weeks of 5's followed by several weeks of negatives or clustering with your 3RM), you know that you should SD more. In this case, 2 weeks seems just fine.

HST is not here to end all research around training and muscle hypertrophy. It is rather a group of principles that have been shown to be valid through research. Many details still have to be ironed out.

So, to sum it up, SD is a product of research. 9-14 days of SD is a practical &quot;rule of thumb&quot; that has worked well, because it does seem to allow &quot;some&quot; reversal with minimal loss of muscle mass. Please keep in mind that this is only my understanding of things, maybe more knowledgeable guys can shed some light on the details. Hope this helps a bit.

Regards,
Dimitris

Thanks Everyone.

Dan, I poked around your site a bit. Very helpful and interesting stuff! I plan to give max-stim a try after my HST phase dries up.

<div>
(monkeyarms @ Jul. 11 2006,15:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thanks Everyone.

Dan, I poked around your site a bit. Very helpful and interesting stuff! I plan to give max-stim a try after my HST phase dries up.</div>
I hope you found what you were looking for.

Back