strength training

Discussion in 'Strength-Specific Training (SST)' started by naz, Sep 4, 2004.

1. naz

naz New Member

What's the best way of overcoming plateaus in strength athletes routines? Most of them change the routine up, do supporting exercises to their main ones for better muscle fibre recruitement, and create different tensions on the muscles with different exercises. While this might work, isn't the basis of incresing strength to increase functional mass? in this case wouldn't SD work great to do so?

note- im not a strength athlete and never been but i'm looking to get in on it and have been doing some reading up. so what is the best way to beat strength plateaus?

2. Aaron_F

Aaron_F New Member

While SD can be useful for strength trainers, unloading is a better method (a reduction in volume and/or intensity)

in terms of the plateau, a cause for this would have to be found. is the program too high or low in volume/intensity, is there an injury issue, is there imbalances? technique etc.

hth

3. naz

naz New Member

sorry do you mean if the routine was set-up properly, there wouldnt arise a plateau? I assumed that it worked similar to bodybuilding as at times you have strength plateaus and you can't get bigger without getting stronger but you can't get stronger till you get bigger and hence SD. Does this not happen in stength training too? I thought naturally no matter what you would hit a strngth plateau, if this not the case can you elaborate o your point pls. Much apreciated. :)

4. Aaron_F

Aaron_F New Member

of crouse there will be plateaus, strength usually happens in bursts to an extent. But there is usually a reason why gains are not being made.

The likes of PL, you are aiming to improve specific lifts. Where are you failing the lift, how are you feeling, etc.
    If your over-reaching too far, and perhaps slipping into overtraining, then you must fix that before gains can be made.
    If you are failing on technique, strength, it all adds into the whole program.
    At some point you may have to gain some more size to get stronger, but not always :)

it can be a complex thing, and a fix may not be as simplistic in nature as a SD.

5. naz

naz New Member

Ok understood, but i'm pretty intrigued by this. What's the ussual way of getting around this type of road block? How do you get bigger to get stronger without getting stronger first? :)
    Supporting exercises that are similar to the main ones for a different pattern of muscle fibre recruitement maybe?

6. Aaron_F

Aaron_F New Member

Depends on the lift :D

If a lifter is within a certain weight class and not wanting to leave there is little option for size, especailly if they are lean to start with (getting too lean is not good either, unless 'supplemented')

he has two choices

1) fix any problems in technique that may be stopping advancement in the lifts, this also includes improving use of current equipment, learn to use bench shirt/squat suit better.
    2) get stronger (remove weakpoints) - this may involve different lifts, assistance work, or altering volume/intensity on the lift itself

also has a third option but thats Getting better equipment :) so it doesnt count :)

7. naz

naz New Member

ahh ok mate...thanx. supplemented isnt a way i would ever choose to go anyways :confused: