Stronger to Get Bigger?

tocamjapan

I'm mid way through my 3rd HST cycle so have had time to see the HST principles at work. One of the biggest truisms spouted in the bodybuilding community is that one needs to get stronger before they can get bigger. HST however isn't a program designed to increase strength (though strength increases can be achieved), and a lot of time is spent lifting submaximal poundages. How does HST reconcile this fact with the belief that a gains in strength are correlated and precede gains in size?

I apologise if this has been asked before, I just haven't seen it discussed yet.

Oh, yes - pictures will be up at the end of this cycle.
smile.gif

tocam

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">How does HST reconcile this fact with the belief that a gains in strength are correlated and precede gains in size?</div>

I am sure you have noticed this not to be the case! HST strength gain IMO is a side effect of this type of training
biggrin.gif

Maybe because the 5's and negatives so much resemble a 5 x 5 set up, also because some of the research comes from a strength base training and so the extrapolation of some of it resulted in HST!

You can be quite strong without being extremely big, it is a neurological thing I believe, with some impact on size yes, but it is more towards how well pr hard a muscle can contract with limitations.

Maybe Dan and the other physio guys can enlighten us here!

Because you don't need to get stronger before you get bigger. It's not a truism! Strength is not directly related to muscle size although, of course, the two are related. If you read the FAQs Bryan explains quite well how this occurs. It's the whole reason that HST works. After deconditioning you can train with submaximal loads and actually grow bigger which in turn leads to you getting strength gains too. So HST kind of turns that old maxim on its head. Get bigger so you can get stronger (and then use the extra strength to get bigger again during your next cycle
smile.gif
).

powerlifters on gear are not as big as bodybuilders on gear..but they are stronger and lift more weight..so why arent they bigger
cool.gif

Also, you don't have to work with maximum weights to gain strength. Plenty of strength programs use submaximal weights, working up to a max, just like HST does. 5x5 for example, which Fausto already pointed out.

<div>
(faz @ May 03 2006,12:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">powerlifters on gear are not as big as bodybuilders on gear..but they are stronger and lift more weight..so why arent they bigger
cool.gif
</div>
Not true across the board. One reason some powerlifters may be smaller than some bodybuilders is because of the weight classes in powerlifting. Size, even when taking steroids, has to do with how many calories you take in.

Bodybuilders may also take more than powerlifters. Powerlifters dieted down tend to be ridiculously huge anyway, though.

Also, in general, you DO need to get stronger over time or you won't get bigger. HST has you lifting submaximal poundages like any non-retarded routine. Who the hell lifts at max effort all the time (save WSB, and they have reasons for doing it, plus add in other volume work)? It's not conducive.

HST guises the idea of getting stronger, but if you pay attention, it's still a goal of it - 'cause you bump up weights from cycle to cycle.

Wanna really test it out? Do a cycle of HST. Don't increase the weights in your second cycle. Nor third. Keep it constant. Lift the same crap over and over and over. There's nothing magical about it - you will not get bigger.

Back