Tabata with stationary bike

Tabata squats do not need to include weight. Body weight is fine. When I do them, I shoot for 18-20 reps in 20 seconds. Check out this video:

Tabata Squat Video

Scroll down and play the Tabata Squat video.

Edit: the song that goes with the video has some cursing, so if you're sensitive to that, or at work, turn it down. Sorry!

they look
cool.gif

i prefer to use a punchbag or a rebock step-up

A punching bag!  Excellent idea, I love hitting the heavy bag!  I'll have to give that a try next week.  Heavy bag has to be one of the most fun forms of cardio, and I find that I get some good trap development out of it as well.

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp

On this site they recommend doing HIIT three times a week on your off days.

Does anyone do this?

Im thinking about the cut Im going to do for the summer and I'm curious what anyone thought of that frequency.

Seemed like a lot to do HST 3x plus HIIT 3x per week. I thought maybe the legs wouldnt have time to recover.

Maybe a split instead of HST would be better...?

I've been doing that, but its very hard to maintain on a cut. I've been doing lifting 3x per week, and HIIT 2 or 3 times depending on how I feel. It really depends on your fitness level, lifestyle and diet.

Guys

Will Tabata protocol affect my HST training? I am trying to gain mass.

I want to do tabata 4 min workouts, 2 times per week on the off days. Most probably I will do rowing.

Guys

Will Tabata protocol affect my HST training? I am trying to gain mass.

I want to do tabata 4 min workouts, 2 times per week on the off days. Most probably I will do rowing.

Why?If you want to build mass, why?Why cut into your caloric excedent so significantly?Do some SS cardio on off days, in order to limit fat gain if you`re really worried about that. Limit the caloric excedent, for a similar effect. But why in the world mess with your recovery by adding Tabata(or HIIT, for that matter) on your off days?

And bear in mind that secretly, Tabata developed his protocol in order to create a means for top-level Japanese speed-skaters(i think they were speed-skaters) to directly see and interact with Buddha. Since you`re a Christian(I suppose, correct me if I`m wrong), you`re likely to see God, or at least St.Peter-are you ready such an encounter?Aren`t you too young?
wink.gif

The high blood circulation will help in recovery. The very intence training will affect CNS and this is a problem.

Clarence Bass recommends it.

I'd like to hear from people who tried it.

So basically you want to hear from someone who says it`s ok so that you have agreement and can go ahead with something that`s less than optimal. Ok, I understand. Cheers, mate.

are you doing cardio for health reasons or fitness levels,if you are doing it to lose fat then that wont happen your on a calorei exess.

I want to control the increasing waistline and enhance recovery. So I want to add mass faster and more efficiently.

About Tabata and other high intensity energy system training:

Charles Staley says (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/staley11.htm):
“you won't lose muscle or strength”
ANY form of "contrasting" stress promotes a faster recovery from your primary training “activity”

Christian Thibaudeau says (http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=251run2):
“to gain as much muscle mass as possible without getting too fat.”

The EAS system (Body for life) includes 2 days of HIIT. Unless they are lying, the have good results.

I know what the experts say. I want to know what people who tried it have to say.

<div>
(bobpit @ Apr. 20 2007,17:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">  I want to know what people who tried it have to say.</div>
It works...and it will kick your ass...and then kick your ass some more.

If you do it correctly and I mean 100% correctly in my book she should most likely throw up or come close to throwing up the first couple of sessions.

Its that intense...
biggrin.gif

<div>
(bobpit @ Apr. 21 2007,10:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I want to control the increasing waistline and enhance recovery.  So I want to add mass faster and more efficiently.

About Tabata and other high intensity energy system training:

Charles Staley says  (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/staley11.htm):
“you won't lose muscle or strength”
ANY form of &quot;contrasting&quot; stress promotes a faster recovery from your primary training “activity”

Christian Thibaudeau says (http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=251run2):
“to gain as much muscle mass as possible without getting too fat.”

The EAS system (Body for life) includes 2 days of HIIT.  Unless they are lying, the have good results.

I know what the experts say.   I want to know what people who tried it have to say.</div>
for losing fat and retaining muscle it is good,but you are on a bulk so you wont get the fat loss benefits.
but you will get other benefits fitness levels,heart,lungs,blood flow to the muscles etc,another benefit is food partitioning i have read that the fitter you are the better your body is at this.

personaly i am leaning towards ss-cardio at a higher intensity arounabout 80% ,and HIIT on different days &quot;non weight days&quot;.
the ss-cardio at a higher intensity will use up a lot of cals during the session and EPOC after so both aspects are covered or you could do tabbata 4mins after that to uttilise EPOC even more,but i am not on a bulk.

I don't have to do it that intensely. I can start easy and see how it goes.

So you say, from experience, that if I do it 2 days per week, 100% intense Tabata, I won't loose fat. But will I gain less muscle (all other factors the same)?

What I will watch out for is CNS overtraining. I am on the 4th day of 10s and I feel very fresh.

So you say, from experience, that if I do it 2 days per week, 100% intense Tabata, I won't loose fat. But will I gain less muscle (all other factors the same)?

no i doubt you will lose any fat because you are taking in exess cals, it might help to stop you gaining to much fat,it wont stop you gaining muscle because you are in exess cals and its only 4mins.

At the end of the day its all about calories in vs calories out.

You can do tabata for 3 hours a day...but if you bring in more calories than you burn...you will gain weight.

Ok guys, they call me king but it isn't so...I just like the idea of Tabata
laugh.gif

I've been rather lazy of late. But will soon start again.

Here's the take:

1 - It increases your aerobic fitness, specially your VOmax intake and capacity, which is the ability of your lungs to retain oxygen or absorb it, not about to debate this anyway.

2 - It raises the metabolism for way longer than your standard aerobic exercise. According to Dr. Tabata's write up burns up to 9 times more fat than standard aerobics, however once off on the bike (mine registers about 40 calories burn't) it does not burn all that much.

3 - Any modality will suit it, squats, deads, clean and press, punching bag (alo quite nice), running stationary cycle (My preference).

4 - I'm really into this 4 minute thing, it kicks major ass and is quickly over, beats 30 - 60 minutes big time IMO.
wink.gif

Back