Tabata

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I Googled Tabata and found an article that suggested doing it only twice a month</div>

Thats because that guy makes his Tabata so hard he dreads it. Surely a more moderate Tabata workout twice a week would confer more benefits than a balls to the wall session twice a month.

Agree with style.

Twice per week at least and that is fairly hard.

I suggest each one check what kind of pulse rate feels good enough, for me it seems that just about 156 - 160 b.p.m., anything over this and it feels like my heart cannot take it!

Scientifically you suppose too judge 220 - your age = 100 % heart rate or somtheing like it, so for me that is 88.88 %, but when I started 80% was rather OK for me so my VO2Max has improved and I am not even very disciplined about this!
laugh.gif

Just a tip - keep to at least 80% of your max if you can.

If not start at 70% and try to slowly improve this
wink.gif

I just did my first real Tabata type workout last night (after weights). I did squat thrusts as fast as I could, keeping up ten per 20 second interval (did eleven once), and I was sucking wind, wanting to lie down at the end. Today is a rest day, and tomorrow is abs and light cardio, so I should be good and rested by the time I lift again. I think I'll do Tabata once per week, just before my rest day.

Today in the morning I did my first(last?) Thruster Tabata.
The exercise took about 15 minutes.

3:50 minutes for Tabata,
5:55 minetes laying on the floor face down,
5:55 minutes laying on the floor face up.

If anybody wants to feel like a dog, try it.
Don't forget to stick your tongue out, actually, it WILL be out withut you realizing it.

I've done a few more Tabatas since my last post, and I've learned a little bit. Tabata can be very easy, if you don't put enough effort into it (for the record, that is a bad thing).

The guy who recommends Tabata twice per month does the squats with weight. Tabata conducted his study with body weight only. It seems some body builders have adopted Tabata squats using 50% of their normal working weight.

I tried my first Tabata squats with an empty standard bar and collars (what is that, 15 pounds?) I could only make it half way through before loosing all feeling below the waste.

Last night, I completed a Tabata squat workout with body weight only. It went much better. I warmed up and did 20 easy minutes cardio on the stair master first. I then stretched and hit the squats hard. I did all four minutes, and was sucking wind hard at the end. My Tabata score was 17.

I plan on doing a Tabata workout once per week, the day after my third HST workout, before my rest day. I plan on alternating between squats and squat thrusts.

Interesting how &quot;old&quot; science seems new again. Not flaming anyone, just makes me feel valid to see the science I have based much of sprint training on reemerge.

i agree biz..i also think that if it wasnt for the emergence of steroids bodybuilders would naturaly be bigger by now.
what i mean is look at the old bodybuilders like steeve reeves etc big naturals,they must have been doing something right,but bbrs got steroids and got lazy, took the easy option.so a lot of naturals were training like the pros for years thinking they were going to be as big as them.
so in my opinion a lot of years were wasted following routines that were never going to work for naturals.
instead natural training and experience could have developed even more..although it is getting better now
biggrin.gif

Guys

I do it on a stat cycle = good enough for me, bag was good too! But squats? No way man...I'm no sucker for punishement
laugh.gif

<div>
(Rip @ Apr. 18 2006,10:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"></div>
Rip writes:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Perhaps I am just thick skulled but I am still a little out in the dark about Tabata...

My understanding of it is do as much as you can do of any given exercise in 20 seconds..take a 10 second break then rinse and repeat.. Do that for 4 minutes..

IF I am understanding that correctly I cant see the big difference between that and HIIT.</div>

Okay, maybe I'm even more thick skulled than Rip. But I'm still a bit confused: what *is* the big difference between tabata and HIIT? Particularly if you try a more &quot;moderate&quot; version of tabata.

One would think that with a less extreme type of tabata, you might consider increasing the time spent to beyond 4 minutes, and then it starts to resemble HIIT even more. (But I'm pretty new to both, so...)

<div>
(Rip @ Apr. 18 2006,10:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"></div>
Rip writes:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Perhaps I am just thick skulled but I am still a little out in the dark about Tabata...

My understanding of it is do as much as you can do of any given exercise in 20 seconds..take a 10 second break then rinse and repeat.. Do that for 4 minutes..

IF I am understanding that correctly I cant see the big difference between that and HIIT.</div>

Okay, maybe I'm even more thick skulled than Rip. But I'm still a bit confused: what *is* the big difference between tabata and HIIT? Particularly if you try a more &quot;moderate&quot; version of tabata.

One would think that with a less extreme type of tabata, you might consider increasing the time spent to beyond 4 minutes, and then it starts to resemble HIIT even more. (But I'm pretty new to both, so...)

<div>
Rip writes:

the difference is tabata is only 4mins..hiit usually lasts about 20 to 30 mins other than that i dont think there is much to seperate them
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Fausto @ Apr. 28 2006,04:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Agree with style.

Twice per week at least and that is fairly hard.

I suggest each one check what kind of pulse rate feels good enough, for me it seems that just about 156 - 160 b.p.m., anything over this and it feels like my heart cannot take it!

Scientifically you suppose too judge 220 - your age = 100 % heart rate or somtheing like it, so for me that is 88.88 %, but when I started 80% was rather OK for me so my VO2Max has improved and I am not even very disciplined about this!
laugh.gif

Just a tip - keep to at least 80% of your max if you can.

If not start at 70% and try to slowly improve this
wink.gif
</div>
I blew this scientific theory out of the water yesterday during a 65 km marathon in Garmisch. Remember I am 40. according to this theory I should have a max heart rate of 180. My AVERAGE heart rate for the first uphill which lasted an hour was around 195. There were times during which I was riding with a pulse of 205 for over 5 minutes.

No pain, no shortness of breath only mental anguish not knowing what the F$%&amp; was going on. I thought my heart was going to explode, I THOUGHT this, I didn´t feel this way. I spoke with a cardiologist friend of mine and he said &quot; you have a strong heart&quot; and if there was really a problem you would have known it already. The other possibility is that I have overtrained the last three weeks with all the 5 x 5 full body workouts. Most nuts aren´t doing 5 x 5 and riding marathons up the sides of mountains.

I have done alot of tabata in the past!

Good go, doc, you VO2 Max is then excellent, a good thing if you're into endurance sports!
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">the difference is tabata is only 4mins..hiit usually lasts about 20 to 30 mins other than that i dont think there is much to seperate them</div>

Whilst I partly agree with Faz, I must say the original Tabata document seems to come out with fat burning capabilities being augmented 9 fold compared to other forms of HIIT, although the other do burn more fat whilst being practiced, Tabata seems to be able to switch some kind of fat burning nutton and keeps burning for a while!

<div>
(Fausto @ May 30 2006,08:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Good go, doc, you VO2 Max is then excellent, a good thing if you're into endurance sports!
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">the difference is tabata is only 4mins..hiit usually lasts about 20 to 30 mins other than that i dont think there is much to seperate them</div>

Whilst I partly agree with Faz, I must say the original Tabata document seems to come out with fat burning capabilities being augmented 9 fold compared to other forms of HIIT, although the other do burn more fat whilst being practiced, Tabata seems to be able to switch some kind of fat burning nutton and keeps burning for a while!</div>
fausto i think its any high intensity training that burns 9 fold the amount of fat compared to slow steady..but tabata only takes 4 mins so is optmum.

Angelo Tremblay, Ph.D., and his colleagues at the Physical Activities Sciences Laboratory, Laval University, Quebec, Canada, challenged the common belief among health professionals that low-intensity, long-duration exercise is the best program for fat loss. They compared the impact of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise and high-intensity aerobics on fat loss. (Metabolism (1994) Volume 43, pp.814-818)

The Canadian scientists divided 27 inactive, healthy, non-obese adults (13 men, 14 women, 18 to 32 years old) into two groups. They subjected one group to a 20-week endurance training (ET) program of uninterrupted cycling 4 or 5 times a week for 30 to 45 minutes; the intensity level began at 60% of heart rate reserve and progressed to 85%. (For a 30-year-old, this would mean starting at a heart rate of about 136 and progressing to roughly 170 bpm, which is more intense than usually prescribed for weight or fat loss.)

The other group did a 15-week program including mainly high-intensity-interval training (HIIT). Much like the ET group, they began with 30-minute sessions of continuous exercise at 70% of maximum heart rate reserve (remember, they were not accustomed to exercise), but soon progressed to 10 to 15 bouts of short (15 seconds progressing to 30 seconds) or 4 to 5 long (60 seconds progressing to 90 seconds) intervals separated by recovery periods allowing heart rate to return to 120-130 beats per minute. The intensity of the short intervals was initially fixed at 60% of the maximal work output in 10 seconds, and that of the long bouts corresponded to 70% of the individual maximum work output in 90 seconds. Intensity on both was increased 5% every three weeks.

As you might expect, the total energy cost of the ET program was substantially greater than the HIIT program. The researchers calculated that the ET group burned more than twice as many calories while exercising than the HIIT program. But (surprise, surprise) skinfold measurements showed that the HIIT group lost more subcutaneous fat. &quot;Moreover,&quot; reported the researchers, &quot;when the difference in the total energy cost of the program was taken into account..., the subcutaneous fat loss was ninefold greater in the HIIT program than in the ET program.&quot; In short, the HIIT group got 9 times more fat-loss benefit for every calorie burned exercising.

Faz

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">fausto i think its any high intensity training that burns 9 fold the amount of fat compared to slow steady..but tabata only takes 4 mins so is optmum.</div>

You bet...and thaks for that Faz!
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Fausto are you still doing tabata?</div>

I am...Joe...but I have been a bit lazy lately, results, visually i can see my top row of abs nicely, I mnust just carry on and I'll see the rest! Getting there I'd say!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Fausto @ Jun. 04 2006,20:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Faz

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">fausto i think its any high intensity training that burns 9 fold the amount of fat compared to slow steady..but tabata only takes 4 mins so is optmum.</div>

You bet...and thaks for that Faz!
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Fausto are you still doing tabata?</div>

I am...Joe...but I have been a bit lazy lately, results, visually i can see my top row of abs nicely, I mnust just carry on and I'll see the rest! Getting there I'd say!
biggrin.gif
</div>
no problem mate
biggrin.gif

So I attempted to try Tabata for the 1st time at the end of my workout today.

Key words - attempted to try

I do all the big lifts, squats and deadlifts included in my routine. I should have known that my sweaty tired ass wouldn't be able to do Tabata squats.

Let's just say I got through 30 seconds and said screw it.

I suppose it is better for an off day.

colby try it on a punchbag or cycle,stepper,skipping,i wouldnt recomend weights you are already working with them.

Back