Testosterone Tests

Alex - didn't we invent cricket??

(noted - I am careful, as my kids and wife are quite tactile - and I like to be topless..)

O&G - I am spreading it about a bit more... do you know if time of day makes a difference, with regards to effective absorption?

Thanks

Brix

Brix, the 1.62% Androgel instructions say apply "daily in the morning" to "clean, dry intact skin of the shoulders and upper arms" It warns not to apply to "other parts of the body including abdomen or genitals." The earlier 1% Androgel indicated to apply to the inner thighs and the original version was applied to the groin.

However, studies have shown no change in serum testo levels if applied to the abdomen vs the shoulders. The warning to apply only to the shoulders/arms seems to be to reduce the accidental transference to other people of the gel (presumably during sex.)

Another study showed that applying a moisturizing lotion to the application site after the Androgel was dry increased serum levels by about 15%, not an insignificant amount! I suspect that helps prevent transference to clothing. I could find no studies that supported application over a larger area resulting in higher serum testo levels but it seem logical to me as it should result in faster drying time and thus less transference to clothing. Again, merely a guess on my part.

I have found no data indicating why they suggest morning application. There is some boost in serum testo levels immediately as the half-life is 90 to 180 minutes. However that does not jive, if I remember some chemistry learned a half century ago, with their statement that your testo levels will not return to pre application levels for anywhere from 48 hours to 4 days once application is suspended. Will it make a noticable difference if applied in the evening? I would guess no but that is just an opinion. I have done it at various times during the day and never noticed a difference.

Just bewae of any rise in your PSA or lipid levels in your blood and all the rest is just fine tuning.

Is there a reason you don't just do weekly injections at home? That is the most effective method.

My Doc only does bi-weekly injections in his office. I guess he makes more money that way. That time span creates highs and lows that I don't want to have. Also, his office is an hour trip for me. I live in the sticks.

Yeah that's a crap situation. Your doctor needs to get with the times. Most trt docs know that you need at least weekly injections. Test cyp only lasts for 14 days or so, by the time you get your next injection, the levels in your blood are already dropping a lot. Grunt hasn't been here for a while but his doc hooked him up with weekly injections at home and it worked very well for him.

Yeah that's a crap situation. Your doctor needs to get with the times. Most trt docs know that you need at least weekly injections. Test cyp only lasts for 14 days or so, by the time you get your next injection, the levels in your blood are already dropping a lot. Grunt hasn't been here for a while but his doc hooked him up with weekly injections at home and it worked very well for him.

I do weekly injections at home (I see Dr. John Crisler for my TRT). I've been doing them since 2009 (I'm 44 years old now). I tried the every other day SubQ injections that everyone is raving about for about 6 months but they worked horrible for me so I went back to weekly IM injections. TRT has made a huge improvement in my overall quality of life. Unfortunately it hasn't made a whole lot of difference in my results in the gym. I think I'm just genetically screwed when it comes to growing muscle.

Bulldog

I have known of Crisler for many years. If I were in MI I would go to him but that is too far a trip for me. In the beginning he did not require on-site visits for evaluations but I think someone threatened his license so he changed to an on-site initial evaluation or working in conjunction with your own licensed doctor. Anyway, I am pleased with the Androgel results and still have room to go to 33% higher applications and still be within legal limits. Besides, I go to my Endo for other more serious issues and think highly of him. He is just very cautious about steroid abuse and keeps to rigid, albeit inconvenient, standards.

Anyway, I am curious as to what dose he has you on and what it raised your testo levels to/from.

Bulldog

I have known of Crisler for many years. If I were in MI I would go to him but that is too far a trip for me. In the beginning he did not require on-site visits for evaluations but I think someone threatened his license so he changed to an on-site initial evaluation or working in conjunction with your own licensed doctor. Anyway, I am pleased with the Androgel results and still have room to go to 33% higher applications and still be within legal limits. Besides, I go to my Endo for other more serious issues and think highly of him. He is just very cautious about steroid abuse and keeps to rigid, albeit inconvenient, standards.

Anyway, I am curious as to what dose he has you on and what it raised your testo levels to/from.

O&G, I sent you a PM.

Back