thai boxer wanting to do weights

• Thread starter Thread starter andysutils
  • Start date Start date
A

andysutils

Hi all and would just like to say what great support this forum provides.

Im a thai boxer but want to implement weights inot my training because im 6ft and weigh 140lbs, and you can totally guess from that why i want to start
biggrin.gif

Im totally new to it and was thinking of buying this weight bench for starting out.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3026438.htm

Would this be adiquate for upperbody excersises as im only mainly looking to work on the upper body.

Hope you can help me.

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Dec. 06 2006,15:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It would and could work.

I would love to learn Thai boxing!!!
biggrin.gif
</div>
wink.gif
thanks bro, thats a good start, yes thai boxing is a hard disipline, i should be fighting next year and im going to thailand this saturday for 3 weeks of thai training on a floating camp.

I dont want to get really big, just bump my size up a few kgs

Then do it, follow the HST program and you'll get bigger and stronger. Stronger will help you in the ring or on the mat.

Ignore those that say you'll get muscle bound and slow. I've been doing shotokan karate for over 20 years and sansoo kungfu for almost that long, with some american boxing and very little JJJ. I've been trying to get &quot;muscle bound&quot; and it hasn't happened yet. As I get stronger, I just get better.

All I want to do is learn a little muy thi and BJJ. Unfortunatly none of those are taught here.

Just your average karate, taiwondo....which after being a mma fan for past 4 yeas...I have lost a lot of hope in your standard martial arts???

Your only as slow as you train your muscles. I started BBing for the same reason as you except i am 68.5 inches tall and i weighed around 140....it seems 140 is the average amount people weigh if they are in martial arts.
The only thing i would suggest is not training extremely hard as you normally would in Boxing or you will be overtraining and make no gains. (I learned of this extremely fast) Make sure you are eating a surplus and you shouldn't experience any drag.

Make sure you are stretching all the time, especially in your legs or you will become slow. I think it might be a good idea to dive in rather slow with the weights and test how quickly you recover when you are boxing.

Worst case scenario: You are sparring an opponent and cannot explode with your punches like you normally could. This is when you know you are either overtraining or are not stretching enough.

Weight lifting has really helped out my explosive power but i also train with HIIT cardio and in TKD on recovery days if my CNS will allow it.

I like this method because you are not in soo much pain and weakness after lifting as you would be with lifting to failure.

One workout that should spike the growth in your lower tricep is Tricep pulldowns with a rope 6-8 reps to failure one set. Within a week my lower tricep grew huge and now feels like a bone.

Or you can just jump right in and starting lifting HST style. I just thought it was better to condition my muscles before i dove into the weights hardcore.

Here is what my workout looks like:
Leg-press-machine/Squats
Leg extension
Bench-press
Bent-over row
Shoulder Shrug
Overhead Press
Pushdown Lat Machine
Bicep curl-Barbell
Tricep extension

**Notice how i only have about 2 isolation workouts.

You can even add dead lifts and stuff but this is a good starting example.

I think if you work with something like this you will do very well.

You can actually email me with your own routine and i would be happy to send you scanned pictures out of a very graphic book that will show you what you will be working with each excersize. (I have done this with a few people.)

Goodluck!  
cool.gif

<div>
(andysutils @ Dec. 06 2006,14:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hi all and would just like to say what great support this forum provides.

Im a thai boxer but want to implement weights inot my training because im 6ft and weigh 140lbs, and you can totally guess from that why i want to start  
biggrin.gif

Im totally new to it and was thinking of buying this weight bench for starting out.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3026438.htm

Would this be adiquate for upperbody excersises as im only mainly looking to work on the upper body.

Hope you can help me.</div>
Sorry, I just don't like your choice of equipment. The maximum user body weight for that bench is 440 lbs, so I assume that means 440 lbs is the total amount the bench can hold ? Maybe I'm assuming way too much. I'd at least find out the total amount of weight the bench can support.

If the bench can't support more than 440 lbs total, then that leaves you with 300 lbs to work with, assuming you will stay at 140 lbs. I realize at a bodyweight of 140 you won't ever be lifting 300 lbs on it, but that still suggests that the bench might be somewhat flimsy. I think you'd be much better off by getting a power cage and a good bench that adjusts from flat to 90 degrees. Plus, a guy like you could really benefit from squats. You can do those in a power cage.

Just some stuff to think about

agree with steve here..get a better bench (more sturdy) without the lat-pulldown i doubt that one would hold more than 50k.do chins instead.
some benches have high and low weight racks so you can squat and bench.
i did kung-fu,karate,muay-thai, many moons ago
smile.gif

do it on your non weight days use it as cardio.good luck
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanks guys, is there any particular equipment you would personally recommend at a decent price, im looking to spend up to £250 on something that would achive my goals.

Everyone keeps telling me that chinups are the gods of all excersizes and i found this whilst looking.

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/store....Station

Would this help me in my physique and strengh??

Actually according to my last issue of &quot;Exercise Mythology&quot;, there are FOUR gods of exercise....Dead-lift, the biggest, most powerful god which all other gods look up to. Deadlift's little brother Squat, (looks alot like dead-lift but with bigger legs), then their is Chin-up which you mentioned, he has a huge, wide back, and meaty biceps, and his twin brother Dip, who has the greatest chest and triceps of them all.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

<div>
(andysutils @ Dec. 07 2006,20:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thanks guys, is there any particular equipment you would personally recommend at a decent price, im looking to spend up to £250 on something that would achive my goals.

Everyone keeps telling me that chinups are the gods of all excersizes and i found this whilst looking.

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/store....Station

Would this help me in my physique and strengh??</div>
you can only do two exercises on that i would recomend this.
http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/store....FYellow
and fix up some sort of chining bar in your house.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Actually according to my last issue of &quot;Exercise Mythology&quot;, there are FOUR gods of exercise....Dead-lift, the biggest, most powerful god which all other gods look up to. Deadlift's little brother Squat, (looks alot like dead-lift but with bigger legs), then their is Chin-up which you mentioned, he has a huge, wide back, and meaty biceps, and his twin brother Dip, who has the greatest chest and triceps of them all.</div>
Hehe, that was a good one!
laugh.gif
I have to agree with your exercise selection.
cool.gif

Regards,
Dimitris

Thanks guys, but thinking about it, before i think of purchasing any equipment, I should consider what workout program Im going to take up.

Could anyone suggest one to me by any chance? I just dunno where to start.

Sorry to be a pain.

<div>
(andysutils @ Dec. 08 2006,22:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thanks guys, but thinking about it, before i think of purchasing any equipment, I should consider what workout program Im going to take up.

Could anyone suggest one to me by any chance? I just dunno where to start.

Sorry to be a pain.</div>
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

<div>
(Cova @ Dec. 06 2006,17:39)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Your only as slow as you train your muscles. I started BBing for the same reason as you except i am 68.5 inches tall and i weighed around 140....it seems 140 is the average amount people weigh if they are in martial arts.
The only thing i would suggest is not training extremely hard as you normally would in Boxing or you will be overtraining and make no gains. (I learned of this extremely fast) Make sure you are eating a surplus and you shouldn't experience any drag.

Make sure you are stretching all the time, especially in your legs or you will become slow. I think it might be a good idea to dive in rather slow with the weights and test how quickly you recover when you are boxing.

Worst case scenario: You are sparring an opponent and cannot explode with your punches like you normally could. This is when you know you are either overtraining or are not stretching enough.

Weight lifting has really helped out my explosive power but i also train with HIIT cardio and in TKD on recovery days if my CNS will allow it.

I like this method because you are not in soo much pain and weakness after lifting as you would be with lifting to failure.

One workout that should spike the growth in your lower tricep is Tricep pulldowns with a rope 6-8 reps to failure one set. Within a week my lower tricep grew huge and now feels like a bone.

Or you can just jump right in and starting lifting HST style. I just thought it was better to condition my muscles before i dove into the weights hardcore.

Here is what my workout looks like:
Leg-press-machine/Squats
Leg extension
Bench-press
Bent-over row
Shoulder Shrug
Overhead Press
Pushdown Lat Machine
Bicep curl-Barbell
Tricep extension

**Notice how i only have about 2 isolation workouts.

You can even add dead lifts and stuff but this is a good starting example.

I think if you work with something like this you will do very well.

You can actually email me with your own routine and i would be happy to send you scanned pictures out of a very graphic book that will show you what you will be working with each excersize. (I have done this with a few people.)

Goodluck!  
cool.gif
</div>
This is absolutely correct. I train Muay Thai myself and do HST (was just doing MAX-Stim actually, but nearly the same). Over-training is very possible and easy to do while doing both. It got me from not getting enough sleep. I knew something was up after I took a week off and went to Muay Thai and did 8 rounds. The next day I was able to lift a lot more weight a lot easier. I knew after seeing my stamina and strength going up that I must of been overtraining.

Stretching is absolutely key also. My trainers ride my ass about this, but stretch 2-3 times a day. Especially the legs.

As for bulking makes you slower. I know a guy that got big that trains with us. He said after he bulked he got slower, however, Ell Darden did a study on football players while doing HIT training. He found speed wasn't made in the gym, but rather out on the field. If you still train fast you'll be fast. There's no need to be fast while lifting the weights as it won't really make you faster in practice. You'll actually need to do the motions of kicking and punching to speed up (you can use light weights to help speed these up). You can also increase your mind to muscle connection by performing the movements starting mid-way instead of from start to finish. This increases your speed as more motor units are activated. It's a little tip I picked up from one of Bruce Lee's students.

Some people have said that explosive lifts have helped them some with there speed, but I would hold off on those until you get more comfortable lifting. It's easy to injure yourself with explosive lifts if you dont know what you are doing.

For your size the main thing I would focus on right now is nutrition (eat a lot if you want to grow) and sleep. The more sleep the better. Get 10 hours if you can.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Dec. 07 2006,16:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Actually according to my last issue of &quot;Exercise Mythology&quot;, there are FOUR gods of exercise....Dead-lift, the biggest, most powerful god which all other gods look up to. Deadlift's little brother Squat, (looks alot like dead-lift but with bigger legs), then their is Chin-up which you mentioned, he has a huge, wide back, and meaty biceps, and his twin brother Dip, who has the greatest chest and triceps of them all.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
</div>
LOL

I Love this quote
biggrin.gif

Hey Andy

Muay Thai in the house! I've been noticing alot of Martial artists on the board, think that's pretty cool
cool.gif

My little 2 cents if I may offer some advice is to do straight HST to bulk up than switch to doing complexes like most MMA athletes do (Randy Couture, Ricardo Almeida, Renzo Gracie to name a few). Excellent article on complexes by Alwyn Cosgrove here

For HST to prevent from getting &quot;Muscle Bound&quot; just make sure you set a routine that wouldn't cause muscle imbalances and stick to Compounds, also a 3 day a week 45mins - 1 hr should suffice (so you have most of your time to dedicate to training MT)

a good HST Routine could look like:

Warm Up
- Clean &amp; Push Press
Vertical Push-Pull Super set
- Military Press
- Pull Ups
Horizontal Push Pull Super set
- Inclined Dumbbell Bench Press
- Bent over Barbell Rows
Knee Dominant Legs
- Front Squat
Hip Dominant Legs
- Romanian Dead Lift

that's 7 Exercises, Full Body.

Follow the Nutrition advice on this website and thinkmuscle.com and you'd be surprised how much you'd bulk in 2 or 3 cycles

Best of luck and let us know how it goes
smile.gif

--
Brett

Back