The bodies reaction to creatine supplementation.

VIPER

Sorry about another question regarding the supplement! But.... I was wondering what happends to the total body water when supplementing with creatine. Does your body take water from other areas of the body like the organs, etc, that you already have, or is it added body water from actual drinking water? Also, when your supplementing with creatine, does you body continue to produce it naturally or does it slow down or stop creating it because you already get more than enough from supplementing with it.

The body slows down production through downregulation of an enzyme (AGAT) responsible for the first step of creatine production. Additionally, the body will downregulate the expression of the creatine transporter; both of these mechanisms are fully reversible.

As for water stores, I am under the impression that it just strengthens the lipid bilayer through non-covalents interactions, thus sequestering more liquid within the cells. Other than that, I haven't looked into the topic much *shrugs*

Back