The Log of HST

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by ManosHandsOfFate, Jun 26, 2007.

1. ManosHandsOfFate

ManosHandsOfFate New Member

I have decided to take the plunge and cease my linear 5x5 (which I've been on for over a year) and start HST.  I'm testing my max's this week on Mon, Wed, and Fri, and will take the following week off.  Here is my setup:

Workout 3 days per week, full body everyday (Mon, Wed, Fri).

Rep ranges will be 12-9-6.  I decided to go a bit lower overall since I'm trying to cut a few pounds, so I want to keep my lifts a bit heavier.

I will be putting my max lifts on workout number five in each mesocycle, and will attempt to go beyond that mark on the 6th workout by 5%.

After doing much reading about volume/load, my goal is to reach 15 total reps each workout - but the first set must be at least the goal for that particular mesocycle. For example, for the 9 rep mesocycle, I will bust my a** to try and hit at least 9 reps on my first set, then cluster to hit the other 6. I know it's advised that we don't go to failure using HST, but at the same time I want to know if I get stronger in a certain rep range. The only way that I can do this is if I push hard on the 5th and 6th workout. I can take solace in knowing that the following week will be a bit easier. Not only that, but if I do set new records, it'll be easy to set up my next cycle using the new max's I set [​IMG]

Leg Press
    Smith machine lunges
    DB incline
    DB flat
    Chin-ups
    DB row
    Tricep pushdown w/rope
    BB bicep curl
    Sit-ups

The plan is to drop the isolation work on the second week of each mesocycle in order to concentrate more on the compound lifts.  As mentioned, I will perform cluster sets to reach certain rep goals, though I can't imagine needing to do this until the sometime during the second week.

Some current stats (as of 6/25/2007)

Height:  5'8"
    Weight:  178.5
    BF% (last tested on 6/25/06, weight 187.5, skin calipers):  8.6%

5 rep max's
    Squat (ATG):  326.25
    Bench:  277.5
    Pendlay row:  225
    Incline bench:  251.25
    Deadlift:  385

I just cycled off of creatine monohydrate, and plan on staying off during my HST cycle.  The only relevant supplments that I will be taking are various protein powders.

All cardio will be comprised of brisk walking on a treadmill, 3.0 speed 5.0 incline.

2. ManosHandsOfFate

6/25/2007: Monday

Today I tested my max's for each exercise - my goal was to hit either my 6, 9, or 12 rep max, without planning what max that I wanted to hit.  This allowed me to pick up a weight and just max out, and whatever result I got would be my max.

Leg Press (excluding sled weight):  9x500
    Smith machine lunge (back leg elevated): 9x130
    DB incline:  12x80
    DB flat: 12x85
    Chin-ups (to upper chest): 10xBW
    DB Row:  14x75 (estimate 12 rep max to be 80)
    Rope pushdown:  12x11
    BB curl:  12x70

Postworkout cardio:  20 minutes
    Evening cardio:  31 minutes

Obviously I'm writing this on a Tuesday, and my entire body is sore, but in that good way.  Even though I was using the most effective overall exercises during my 5x5, I am obviously working my muscles in a different way, accounting for the soreness that I am experiencing.

If anyone knows of a way that I can copy and paste spreadsheets in the body of the message, I can post my diet.

3. ManosHandsOfFate

6/26/2007: Tuesday

Afternoon Cardio:  45 minutes
    Evening Cardio: 32 minutes

I have to admit, after being in a comfort zone for so long with 5x5, I have some doubt on HST - there just doesn't seem to by much volume as far as the program goes.  At the same time, since I'm still looking to cut a few pounds (hopefully about 5 pounds in the next 6 weeks), I feel like I can easily over-train if I do too much volume.

I guess we'll see soon enough.

4. colby2152

colby2152 New Member

Is that your bodyfat% from a year ago, or is that a typo where you meant now? How do you test your bf%?

5. ManosHandsOfFate

<div>
    (colby2152 @ Jun. 26 2007,13:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Is that your bodyfat% from a year ago, or is that a typo where you meant now?  How do you test your bf%?</div>
    Yes, that's my BF% from about 9 months ago - I plan on getting it tested this upcoming Monday, but I can only assume that it's dropped between then and now.

I have a personal trainer test my BF% using skin calipers (skin fold), testing 5 &amp; 7 sites and taking the average.

6. colby2152

colby2152 New Member

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have a personal trainer test my BF% using skin calipers (skin fold), testing 5 &amp; 7 sites and taking the average.</div>

I would like to do that every three months, but I can't afford the price tag that comes with a test. Some guys around here say it costs anywhere between 30-60 bucks to test.

7. ManosHandsOfFate

<div>
    (colby2152 @ Jun. 26 2007,13:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have a personal trainer test my BF% using skin calipers (skin fold), testing 5 &amp; 7 sites and taking the average.</div>

I would like to do that every three months, but I can't afford the price tag that comes with a test.  Some guys around here say it costs anywhere between 30-60 bucks to test.</div>
    Dang, really? The health club that I belong to (Lifetime Fitness) does it for free, as often as I want.

8. TunnelRat

TunnelRat Active Member

<div>
    (ManosHandsOfFate @ Jun. 26 2007,14:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The health club that I belong to (Lifetime Fitness) does it for free, as often as I want.</div>
    Good deal!

I've been working out at the YMCA. They'll do a 7-site BF% test free, but only once every six months... [​IMG]

9. ManosHandsOfFate

6/27/07: Wednesday

Setting some more max lifts today...

Leg Press:  12x470
    Smith Lunge:  12x115
    DB Incline bench:  9x90
    DB Flat bench:  9x100
    Chin-ups (to to upper chest):  9x10 lbs
    DB Row single arm row:  9x90
    Tricep rope rushdown:  9x12.5
    BB Curl:  9x80

Post workout cardio:  20 minutes
    Evening cardio:  31 minutes

Lifts felt really good, and my body is already thanking me for switching routines - my lower back is starting to feel better, and my muscles are sore from the new movements.

10. ManosHandsOfFate

6/28/07: Thursday

Early afternoon cardio: 45 minutes
    Evening cardio: 30 minutes

Nothing too special today, just some walking on a slight incline. My body is really feeling great, finally getting away from those heavy BB compound movements. I'm really looking forward to my first deconditioning phase in over five months.

11. ManosHandsOfFate

6/29/07: Friday

Leg Press: 6x590
    Smith Lunge: 6x165
    DB Incline bench: 6x100
    DB Flat bench: 8x110 (so say 6 rep max of 115)
    Chin-ups (to to upper chest): 6x27.5 lbs
    DB Row single arm row: 6x105
    Tricep rope rushdown: 6x14.5
    BB Curl: 6x95
    Various ab exercises

Postworkout cardio: 11 minutes
    Evenind cardio: 34 minutes

Felt really strong today, and pretty much my entire time was devoted to my 6 rep max's. It's kind cool to see how strong I have gotten using the 5x5 method for so long - I really hope I don't lose much strength over the coming weeks, as some people have reported a LOSS in strength when they went from a 5x5 to HST.