The "pump"?

"A pump has nothing to do with muscle growth.  Still, there is no way I'm leaving the gym without one!" - Tom Platz

ok, thats good.. or else i would have lost a discussion a had with a friend of mine
smile.gif

Here's an excerpt from an article I wrote a few years ago. It doesn't include the discussion of the "stretching bag" theory of muscle growth but it does explain pumps a bit.

The rapid increase in blood flow to your muscles after a set of curls has been attributed to several metabolic or “chemical signals” including adenosine, adrenaline, potassium, lactate, carbon dioxide and nitric oxide.

When a muscle contracts, the pressure of the contracting fibers squeezes all the blood out from the blood vessels permeating the tissue. This causes all the aforementioned chemical signals to be released into the surrounding area of the muscle which ultimately leads to relaxation of blood vessels and a rapid and dramatic increase in blood flow to make up for the oxygen deficit created during contraction. Increasing blood flow to working muscles is not only necessary to remove carbon dioxide and deliver oxygen, but also necessary to counteract the vasoconstricting effects of hormone-like catecholamines (i.e. adrenaline, noradrenaline) released at the onset of intense exercise. The potency of each rep to get a pump going is related to how many fibers are recruited when the muscle contracts. (Hamann, 2004)

From above you’ll recall that when you lift a weight, blood supply is temporarily cut off from the muscle with each contraction. This sends your muscles into metabolic overdrive and you feel a deep burning sensation. When this happens, you get an increase in oxidative byproducts, changes in the ADP/ATP ratio, a temporary drop in pH, and several other indicators that the muscle’s need for oxygen rich blood has dramatically increased. Turns out, these same signals from the cell that lead to a pump also trigger signaling pathways within the muscle cell that will increase “muscle quality”.

Muscle quality is described as the ability of the muscle to endure a metabolic challenge. In other words, your muscle grows better able to withstand the metabolic demands of lifting weights. As our friend Martha would say, it’s a good thing!

I think that there is one more benefit of getting a good pump in your muscles when you train, motivation. There are few things more motivating that seeing your muscles grow before your very eyes. Veins popping, skin tightening with every rep, its arguably one of the greatest things about lifting weights. If that’s what it takes to keep you on track with your training, then it’s a critical part of the whole training experience.

References:
Hamann JJ, Buckwalter JB, Clifford PS, Shoemaker JK. Is the blood flow response to contraction determined by work performed? J Appl Physiol. 2004 Feb 6

Bhasin S, Woodhouse L, Casaburi R, Singh AB, Bhasin D, Berman N, Chen X,
Yarasheski KE, Magliano L, Dzekov C, Dzekov J, Bross R, Phillips J, Sinha-Hikim
I, Shen R, Storer TW. Testosterone dose-response relationships in healthy young men.
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2001 Dec;281(6):E1172-81.

Lee SJ, McPherron AC. Myostatin and the control of skeletal muscle mass. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1999 Oct;9(5):604-7.

Sorry to open up an old thread, but when I was in high school, I can can get a real good pump within the first few minutes, muscles popping out like I couldn't move. Now this is over 20 years ago. Today I haven't been to get a pump at all, not in over 15 years. I can superset, do 30 reps with a 20 pound dumbbell, do some heavy, heavy lifting.....nothin'. No muscles would be hard after some sets.

I've asked/searched on boards before and I've seen a wide array of answers. From: try something more intensive, swallow vitamins x, y, and z. To: a pump doesn't matter as long as you see results or go see a doctor...you may have a serious problem.

Now if I am seeing results without the "pump", how do I know if I'd get better results if I did get one?? There can be many reasons, but why would someone lose the ability not to get the pump anymore?? And finally how can I obtain a pump, one that I haven't felt in years, again?

At the least, this would be great mentally after having a day of lifting.

I'm 54, and I don't think I pump up quite as much as I used to either, but it's slight. Probably something to do with elasticity, but undoubtably with age.
A recent thermogenic I've tried seems to elicit a very good pump (the 'Burn') but it may also be that I'm doing single-set, multiple exersizes for each muscle group.

<div>
(kikitwitme @ Jun. 10 2008,6:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Sorry to open up an old thread, but when I was in high school, I can can get a real good pump within the first few minutes, muscles popping out like I couldn't move. Now this is over 20 years ago. Today I haven't been to get a pump at all, not in over 15 years. I can superset, do 30 reps with a 20 pound dumbbell, do some heavy, heavy lifting.....nothin'. No muscles would be hard after some sets.  

I've asked/searched on boards before and I've seen a wide array of answers. From: try something more intensive, swallow vitamins x, y, and z. To: a pump doesn't matter as long as you see results or go see a doctor...you may have a serious problem.

Now if I am seeing results without the &quot;pump&quot;, how do I know if I'd get better results if I did get one?? There can be many reasons, but why would someone lose the ability not to get the pump anymore?? And finally how can I obtain a pump, one that I haven't felt in years, again?

At the least, this would be great mentally after having a day of lifting.</div>
What do you eat before you train?

<div>
(Bryan Haycock @ Jun. 12 2008,6:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(kikitwitme @ Jun. 10 2008,6:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Sorry to open up an old thread, but when I was in high school, I can can get a real good pump within the first few minutes, muscles popping out like I couldn't move. Now this is over 20 years ago. Today I haven't been to get a pump at all, not in over 15 years. I can superset, do 30 reps with a 20 pound dumbbell, do some heavy, heavy lifting.....nothin'. No muscles would be hard after some sets.

Now if I am seeing results without the &quot;pump&quot;, how do I know if I'd get better results if I did get one?? There can be many reasons, but why would someone lose the ability not to get the pump anymore?? And finally how can I obtain a pump, one that I haven't felt in years, again?

At the least, this would be great mentally after having a day of lifting.</div>
What do you eat before you train?</div>
Anywhere from left over steak to some eggs or milk, pretty much protein.

I'm 38 now. Looking back now, I was a 15 year old newbie at working out, I'd get that &quot;monster pump&quot; all over my upper body within the first few sets. That stopped happening before 1991 when I was 21 years old. Since then, I haven't felt a pump since. Even after a long lay off (more than a year or more without picking up so much as a dumbbell.) Kinda makes me feel like I missed out on something all these years of training.

<div>
(quadancer @ Jun. 11 2008,8:42)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">A recent thermogenic I've tried seems to elicit a very good pump (the 'Burn') but it may also be that I'm doing single-set, multiple exersizes for each muscle group.</div>
Funny you should mention that. I started a EC stack 2 and a half weeks ago. I suppose the results have been ok; however, it hasn't given me a pump at all.

Hmmm... I am now 43 and haven't really noticed that my age has made any difference to the pumps I can get from training. Biggest and best pumps are during 15s but 2 or 3 sets of 10s will also do the trick. 5s, not so much so I sometimes finish up with a lighter, higher rep set. It'll be interesting to see if anything changes now that I am on reduced calories although I don't really see how that will make a big difference?

Not sure if what it had to do with it but before I was 25 I always got great pumps. I had a lay off for awhile due to an injury for a couple of years but when I got back to the weight I had absolutely no pump. When I got my hormones checked out I found that I was very low in the Test category. After I went on the shots I was back to getting the pumps.

Not sure, but perhaps as we age and our body produces less hormones, perhaps there's a link between pumps and hormones.

Aha. My test is low too.
Another thought I had was that we all carry fat differently; one could have a pump and not know it. Just can't SEE it anymore because you turned into a lardass?
biggrin.gif

<div>
(quadancer @ Jun. 13 2008,1:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Aha. My test is low too.
Another thought I had was that we all carry fat differently; one could have a pump and not know it. Just can't SEE it anymore because you turned into a lardass?  
biggrin.gif
</div>
Well, except that you can feel it.

my pumps are really variable. sometimes 2 sets of chins at any rep level will get my back, chest, arms and all swelling up like a balloon. Sometimes nothing happens at all!

I think glycogen levels have a lot to do with it, as well as hydration. The lesson I took from UD2.0, was that the first few glycogen depletion work outs (when my muscles were loaded) would generally get me the most amazing pumps of my life. Then the mid week tension workout (that takes place when everything is depleted, before the new carb load)...well, to quote Lyle:

&quot;....can't get or hold a pump for ****.&quot;

smile.gif

I used to take mega doses of arginine, AKG, NO xplode, thinking the pump was uber essential to gains, etc. Now I think thats all BS, but I really don't know.

Anyway, I think biochemically, the pump is just the lactic acid by product of thorough going anaerobic respiration (which means you used a crap load of glycogen) filling your tissues?

So low glycogen/glycogen utilization=poor pump?

Back